Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Does anybody know if those dent puller's work? I'm pretty sure some bugger hit me in a car park, because I have a dent, pretty big, in the side of my car :(

Anyway, I can get a dent puller from eBay for 2.99... But does anybody rekon it will work/has anyone ever used one before?

Never been out with a dentist but it might work!

How come Hey Jude is always trotted out at big events, often at the end?

The two most recent obvious examples being the Olympic Opening Ceremony and the Diamond Jubilee Concert.

Its a bit of a lazy ending to big shows now. I don't mind it as a song in its own right and I guess it is a nice easy sing-along but we must SURELY have some more original (and bit more stirring) finale music knocking around somewhere! Can't deny that McCartney was (very) good, but he's a bit past it now don't you think?

His voice is past it, yes. But that's it. He can still write good music.

'Hey Jude' isn't the greatest Beatles song anyway, and I've never really got why they play it constantly. Is it because most people know it? For example, people seem to refer to 'My Generation' but it isn't the Who's greatest song in my opinion, and Ray Davies always seems to perform 'Waterloo Sunset', but I wouldn't say it's the best Kinks song. These songs get the fans going, easy, and everyone/most people join in etc

Edited by Fox92

His voice is past it, yes. But that's it. He can still write good music.

'Hey Jude' isn't the greatest Beatles song anyway, and I've never really got why they play it constantly. Is it because most people know it? For example, people seem to refer to 'My Generation' but it isn't the Who's greatest song in my opinion, and Ray Davies always seems to perform 'Waterloo Sunset', but I wouldn't say it's the best Kinks song. These songs get the fans going, easy, and everyone/most people join in etc

But they are probably the most well known kinks and who songs, whereas there are so many Beatles songs that everyone knows and can sing along to. Hey Jude is a shit song, never liked it, and I hate the fact we play it before matches and that it is played all the time. Baffling.

Edited by Captain Shrapnel

But they are probably the most well known kinks and who songs, whereas there are so many Beatles songs that everyone knows and can sing along to. Hey Jude is a shit song, never liked it, and I hate the fact we play it before matches and that it is played all the time. Baffling.

I don't think it's a 'shit song', but it certainly isn't the best. There are many Beatles songs that are better and everybody could sing too, I agree. 'Hey Jude' is a McCartney-composed song, repeats a bit. I've always leaned towards Lennon more, I think his songs are better.

I don't want to denigrate the Beatles as they are a British icon and deserve praise for what they did in the 60's but having said whilst some songs are masterpieces a lot of their songs are boring. I don't particularly like Hey jude but I can think of some songs that are basically a repetition of 4 or 5 words for 3mins. I'll say goodbye.

Was amazed and shocked to hear that McCartney was being given the "legion d'honneur" by the French today - I'm sure those resistance fighters in WW2 understand why he deserves that French award.

I don't want to denigrate the Beatles as they are a British icon and deserve praise for what they did in the 60's but having said whilst some songs are masterpieces a lot of their songs are boring. I don't particularly like Hey jude but I can think of some songs that are basically a repetition of 4 or 5 words for 3mins. I'll say goodbye.

Was amazed and shocked to hear that McCartney was being given the "legion d'honneur" by the French today - I'm sure those resistance fighters in WW2 understand why he deserves that French award.

To be fair, you'll not find any artist who produced a masterpiece time after time. Many Beatles songs are among some of the best songs ever though; 'A Day In The Life', 'Ticket To Ride', 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps' etc

But in terms of repetition, I had a conversation with my college lecturer (when I was at college a few years back) and he pointed out that the songs that repeat are those wrote by McCartney. I studied this, and he was right; songs such as 'Hey Jude' and 'She Loves You' do tend to repeat more than others.

But I don't want to take anything away from McCartney. He was a top musician, is a very good songwriter; certainly one of the best ever. The Beatles worked very hard for what they achieved, which isn't appreciated as it should be, because most people (who don't know much about Beatles' history) think Epstein came in and that was it. But I listen to, and enjoy, the Beatles' music more than I slate individual songs (same applies to my other favourites; Who, Kinks, T Rex, Bowie). They are my favourite and always will be.

Well I'm happy to slate McCartney as I also worked out that he wrote the boring songs and continues to do that.

Best songs ever. Well that's a pretty shaky statement. I'd stick with most popular.

I like all the groups you state very much and agree they also made some poor tracks. Technically (of groups of the time) I'd move towards Floyd and Yes and more particularly Genesis - who made "better" songs as in composition and complexity. Far more difficult to find a weak Early Gensis track than a weak Beatles track.

Right - I've got myself a radio show on the uni student radio and it needs a name - If the answers don't descend into a farce, I shall be very disappointed. Will be playing mostly rock and metal, so extra kudos if someone can shoe-horn something relating to them into the name.

We need more info to feed the pun machine, what Uni? What is the name of the station? What is your DJ name? How long is it on for?

Without any of that info, I can only really suggest The Devil's Prolapsed Anus Hour,

Or Brown Noise, (after the supposed note that is so low the resonance will make you shit yourself).

We need more info to feed the pun machine, what Uni? What is the name of the station? What is your DJ name? How long is it on for?

Without any of that info, I can only really suggest The Devil's Prolapsed Anus Hour,

Or Brown Noise, (after the supposed note that is so low the resonance will make you shit yourself).

Bradford Uni, the station is RamAir, I don't intend to have a DJ name and it's 2 hours.