Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Just a quick one...

My daughter has got to take an exam in November for GSCE modular maths but she is currently only in year 10. Is this the norm now as I thought you had to take them all at the end of year 11?

Just asked my daughter, apparently yes.

Ah OK thanks.

If she does poorly (Hopefully she won't) will she be able to re-sit. Actually that's probably why they make them sit it earlier, so I've probably answered my own question.

(according to my daughter) yes. There are 4 modules and you can retake them all apart from the last one.

If you let the lord, our saviour, Jesus Christ into your heart, how does he survive in there? Does he feast on all the excess cholesterol for sustenance? Is he small enough to physically dwell inside a human heart or can he shape-shift his physical stature? If he can't and he really is that small to live inside a heart, are the Jesus on a crucifix pendant necklaces people wear life size?

If you let the lord, our saviour, Jesus Christ into your heart, how does he survive in there? Does he feast on all the excess cholesterol for sustenance?

I think he feeds off of brain cells, having killed off logic and skeptical thought which use those cells for power.

• Like 1

Haha I noticed that this year.

Why do so many bacteria/viruses kill their hosts? Surely there is no evolutionary advantage of this.

How do you figure?

All they need is the host to replicate themselves (viruses) and spread - once they've started to spread the host isn't particularly necessary.

How come, when it gets cold, I need to piss more? Like a LOT more?

According to the naked Scientist site the answer is as follows: This is absolutely true; you do pee more in the cold!

The reason is that in order to minimize heat loss during cold exposure the body restricts the flow of blood to the skin and superficial tissues. This is called peripheral vasoconstriction. The result is that blood is shunted to the body core, the volume of blood circulating in the core is higher, and mean arterial blood pressure is higher.

Blood volume, and hence blood pressure, are regulated by the kidney, which either reabsorbs or sheds water from the body according to how well hydrated we are.

So when you are exposed to the cold and your blood pressure rises, the kidney interprets this as due to an excess circulating volume, and sets about losing salt and water in order bring down the blood volume and hence blood pressure. As a result you produce more urine, just as you observed."