Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Does anybody trade on the stock market? Just wondered if there was any websites or advice out there for a beginner to learn from. I appreciate that it's all a risk and nothing is ever guaranteed but there must be certain basic rules/patterns to look for....

Buy low, sell high...

Does anybody trade on the stock market? Just wondered if there was any websites or advice out there for a beginner to learn from. I appreciate that it's all a risk and nothing is ever guaranteed but there must be certain basic rules/patterns to look for....

Okay, pork belly prices have been dropping all morning, which means that everybody is waiting for it to hit rock bottom, so they can buy low. Which means that the people who own the pork belly contracts are saying, "Hey, we're losing all our damn money, and Christmas is around the corner, and I ain't gonna have no money to buy my son the G.I. Joe with the kung-fu grip! And my wife ain't gonna f... my wife ain't gonna make love to me if I got no money!" So they're panicking right now, they're screaming "SELL! SELL!" to get out before the price keeps dropping. They're panicking out there right now, I can feel it Billy Ray Valentine
Think big, think positive, never show any sign of weakness. Always go for the throat. Buy low, sell high. Fear? That's the other guy's problem. Nothing you have ever experienced will prepare you for the absolute carnage you are about to witness. Super Bowl, World Series - they don't know what pressure is. In this building, it's either kill or be killed. You make no friends in the pits and you take no prisoners. One minute you're up half a million in soybeans and the next, boom, your kids don't go to college and they've repossessed your Bentley. Louis Winthorpe III
  • Like 1

fool.co.uk and monevator.com are both pretty good general advice websites with a safer, more defensive outlook. The saving & investments board at moneysavingexpert is a good place to ask questions although they tend to have an ultra-defensive outlook.

ADVFN.com is one of a fair few websites where you can find a wealth of information on individual shares. Trustnet.com is my favourite for looking at investment funds/trusts.

Books that get recommended a lot include the naked trader, which I think sets pretty dangerous expectations but will give you a good idea on what the whole thing involves. Then you have books like The Intelligent Investor which is not exactly pleasure reading but is considered a bible of sorts and I would say you should read it and understand it before you invest. Also the Financial Times do a hardback guide called "Investing" which is a great reference.

• Like 1

fool.co.uk and monevator.com are both pretty good general advice websites with a safer, more defensive outlook. The saving & investments board at moneysavingexpert is a good place to ask questions although they tend to have an ultra-defensive outlook.

ADVFN.com is one of a fair few websites where you can find a wealth of information on individual shares. Trustnet.com is my favourite for looking at investment funds/trusts.

Books that get recommended a lot include the naked trader, which I think sets pretty dangerous expectations but will give you a good idea on what the whole thing involves. Then you have books like The Intelligent Investor which is not exactly pleasure reading but is considered a bible of sorts and I would say you should read it and understand it before you invest. Also the Financial Times do a hardback guide called "Investing" which is a great reference.

Cheers chap

Hey I've just flicked over to the Full version (as opposed to mobile version) and see that I have been promoted to the First Team! How did this happen?

I hope you realise that I have two chocolate legs!

Also there are 5 circles below my picture (of the laughing dog that I stole from the Phunny Photos thread no less), what do they mean too?

Has anyone ever had Prawn Cocktail, as a starter? How does it look? Is it any good? Me and two flatmates have been invited for a meal with the girls out of the flat next door. They showed us the menu, I've gone for Turkey for main (can't wait for that), but the choice of starter's was poor so gone for Prawn Cocktail just based on the decision I've never had it before! ... It's this Wednesday.

Has anyone ever had Prawn Cocktail, as a starter? How does it look? Is it any good? Me and two flatmates have been invited for a meal with the girls out of the flat next door. They showed us the menu, I've gone for Turkey for main (can't wait for that), but the choice of starter's was poor so gone for Prawn Cocktail just based on the decision I've never had it before! ... It's this Wednesday.

First time I took my girlfriend, now wife to a posh do I ate the first 2 prawns with the shell on because I didn't know you had to shell them yourself. I didn't live that down for a while :D

First time I took my girlfriend, now wife to a posh do I ate the first 2 prawns with the shell on because I didn't know you had to shell them yourself. I didn't live that down for a while :D

Oh hell, don't scare me even more!

:sick: That's all. Good Luck!

skip the starter & go for the dessert

good luck!!

• Like 1

Is it a 1970's themed night?

It is nice but it is basically prawns, lettuce and a bit of sauce with maybe a slice of lemon. You will usually get a slice of whole meal bread with it too. A bit dated for a starter now though.

That's what I'm kind of thinking now. Might just put them in my mouth and think of something else...

skip the starter & go for the dessert

good luck!!

Too late now!

It is nice but it is basically prawns, lettuce and a bit of sauce with maybe a slice of lemon. You will usually get a slice of whole meal bread with it too. A bit dated for a starter now though.

No I don't think so lol

Sounds simple, which is ok. It won't be all posh, so I'm hoping I don't have to rip head off and all that.

How much toast is too much toast? What is a reasonable number of slices to have in one sitting?

4 slices

Prawn cocktail is the 70s "posh starter" - as suggested, 2 prawns and some mayonaise and a bit o lettuce. 2 tips...

1) (as previously siuggested) - ensure they are peeled

2) (and this is BIG)... ensure the Poo tube is removed..look at the prawn, if it has a dark line running down its back... that is shit...remove it..or you are eating shit :thumbup:

In Australia, do they have snow on the christmas cards or beaches?

Yes, we do have some like the ones shown above, but the vast majority still consist of snow covered european villages, snowmen and raoring fires etc.

Prawn cocktail is the 70s "posh starter" - as suggested, 2 prawns and some mayonaise and a bit o lettuce. 2 tips...

2) (and this is BIG)... ensure the Poo tube is removed..look at the prawn, if it has a dark line running down its back... that is shit...remove it..or you are eating shit :thumbup:

I can already see myself struggling with this!

good luck!!

The dinner was earlier today. Can safely say I won't be having Prawn Cocktail ever again. None of the other starters attracted me, and at least I've tried it!

The Turkey and all that was good though.