Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Why don't I get as many responses to my posts as Lucy Mountain ?

Change your name and have an avatar of Kate Upton, Kelly Brook or something then you're sorted.

... But don't, you're one of my favourite posters Zingari :blush:

Change your name and have an avatar of Kate Upton, Kelly Brook or something then you're sorted.

... But don't, you're one of my favourite posters Zingari :blush:

that's nice thank you :xmassmile: i usually get a load of insults on here !!

respect to you an' all :cheers:

A question for the gardeners/ botanists or general clever dicks out there.

I have a big camellia bush in my garden and it is always in magnificent bloom at this time of year .

The rest of the garden plants are all died back .

Why is this plant so out of step with the rest of the shrubbery ?

I have a big camellia bush in my garden and it is always in magnificent bloom at this time of year .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camellia

Go to modern cultivar section.

'They are frequently planted in woodland settings, alongside other calcifuges such as rhododendrons, and are particularly associated with areas of high soil acidity, such as Cornwall and Devon in the UK. They are highly valued for their very early flowering, often among the first flowers to appear in the late winter.'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camellia

Go to modern cultivar section.

'They are frequently planted in woodland settings, alongside other calcifuges such as rhododendrons, and are particularly associated with areas of high soil acidity, such as Cornwall and Devon in the UK. They are highly valued for their very early flowering, often among the first flowers to appear in the late winter.'

thanks SF :thumbup: But it doesn't really explain "why" they are so out of step though .

Sorry I misread your post. I think you were asking why it had not bloomed? Is that right?

No the camellia is in magnificent bloom right now in the depths of winter , and has been for about 3 weeks . The rest of the plants follow the normal plant cycle of buds in spring , flowering in summer, dying off in autumn , dormant in winter .

This plant seems to be bucking the whole trend and I just wondered why / how ?

Edited by Zingari

No the camellia is in magnificent bloom right now in the depths of winter , and has been for about 3 weeks . The rest are the plants follow the normal plant cycle of buds in spring , flowering in summer, dying off in autumn , dormant in winter .

This plant seems to be bucking the whole trend and I just wondered why / how ?

It's a winter bloomer. Not sure how though. It's a badass I guess.

You have a blooming bush. Well I never.

There are many plants that flower in the winter & there are different varieties of camellia that flower at different times of the year.

Most camellias will flower around March time, but there are early bloomers that will flower at this time of the year.

The seasons have gone to pot just recently & it's possible to see plants/shrubs & bulbs flowering earlier, later or for longer than usual. It is particularly mild at the moment & I wouldn't be surprised to see daffodils coming up early......like they have done a lot in recent years.

Mahonia, heather, viburnum & skimmia are good for a bit of winter colour. I even make winter hanging baskets with pansies, ivy, primrose & cyclamen.

Plants are like animals & have evolved over thousands of years to suit their surroundings. They flower in line with their environment.........the temperature, insects around to pollinate, light cycles, competition from other plants, soil conditions, etc. It's all about surviving & reproducing.

I'm a gardener :thumbup:

• Like 1

There are many plants that flower in the winter & there are different varieties of camellia that flower at different times of the year.

Most camellias will flower around March time, but there are early bloomers that will flower at this time of the year.

The seasons have gone to pot just recently & it's possible to see plants/shrubs & bulbs flowering earlier, later or for longer than usual. It is particularly mild at the moment & I wouldn't be surprised to see daffodils coming up early......like they have done a lot in recent years.

Mahonia, heather, viburnum & skimmia are good for a bit of winter colour. I even make winter hanging baskets with pansies, ivy, primrose & cyclamen.

Plants are like animals & have evolved over thousands of years to suit their surroundings. They flower in line with their environment.........the temperature, insects around to pollinate, light cycles, competition from other plants, soil conditions, etc. It's all about surviving & reproducing.

That's harsh. I know they're roadpests but that's going too far!

Now can you come round around spring time to tidy up my little jungle ?

Just kidding , I've really started to enjoy gardening in the last few years but i'm not au fait with all the names etc and my attempts are a bit hit and miss . The overall effect of my efforts have looked pretty good though .

I'll try some of those you mentioned for winter colour, thanks for that .

Ive tried winter flowering pansies before without any luck , but not tried them in baskets before , so i'll give them a go .

Edited by Zingari

Now can you come round around spring time to tidy up my little jungle ?

Just kidding , I've really started to enjoy gardening in the last few years but i'm not au fait with all the names etc and my attempts are a bit hit and miss . The overall effect of my efforts have looked pretty good though .

I'll try some of those you mentioned for winter colour, thanks for that .

Ive tried winter flowering pansies before without any luck , but not tried them in baskets before , so i'll give them a go .

I'm still learning the names myself!! I'm ok with the common varieties, but there's always plenty more that I don't know.

I find that people are a bit scared to have a go......when the vast majority of plants can be dealt with in pretty much the same way. People often wonder what I do in the winter - that there can't be that much work. The winter isn't the nicest, but it is the most productive time of the year. The garden looks nice in the summer, but that is because of the work I have done in the winter. A solid prune in the winter will pay off in the warmer months. It can look a bit barren - so one or two winter flowering shrubs are good. The colder months are best for planting (not frozen) when there is enough moisture in the ground. People spend a lot of money in the summer buying new shrubs/plants when the ground is bone dry & don't bother to water.......then wonder why everything dies & tell themselves they are no good at gardening. Dig in some compost too.......we all need food!!

There's millions of books offering advice, but I can recommend anything by D.G. Hessayon. They are cheap to buy & easy to follow - offering basic but good advice.

044579.jpg

• Like 1

thanks again :thumbup:

I've just been planting in some big troughs to give some variety in winter because our ground is very much like "sticky clay "

I've just noticed that the yellow jasmine is out now too , which is quite a pleasant surprise :)

• Like 1

Are you paying ?

And it better not be travelodge , I want a mini bar ( that's not a euphemism )

:xmasbiggrin:

Been living in and out of hotels this last year or so, not seen a single mini bar in the cheapos nor the classy joints in the UK.

You might have to go abroad for your overpriced midnight smacking.

Edited by Captain Shrapnel

Two questions.

1) Is the 'haricot' in haricot beans pronounced 'harry-co' or 'harry-cot'?

2) Has anyone used / owned a HTC Wildfire S? I really only need a smartphone for Twitter and Tunein radio (which my blackberry is refusing to play). Are they any good?

Two questions.

1) Is the 'haricot' in haricot beans pronounced 'harry-co' or 'harry-cot'?

2) Has anyone used / owned a HTC Wildfire S? I really only need a smartphone for Twitter and Tunein radio (which my blackberry is refusing to play). Are they any good?

On the dictionary definition it has how to pronounce it http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx?word=haricot

It is /hari'ko/

It doesn't have a t on the end so it is harry-co probably because it has French origin.

Edited by Captain Shrapnel

On the dictionary definition it has how to pronounce it http://www.thefreedi...px?word=haricot

It is /hari'ko/

It doesn't have a t on the end so it is harry-co probably because it has French origin.

Yes it's from French though the pronunciation in which case should be "arry-co", but let's face it for an English person a pronunciation of harry-cot is perfectly reasonable.