Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Why are Pandas called “Giant Pandas†when there aren't any ordinary sized ones to distinguish them from?

I know there are red pandas but they are unrelated I think

From the ever reliable source that is Wikipedia they are unrelated but the "giant" bit is still to distinguish between them (presumably because a lot of people might not realise they're not related)

From the ever reliable source that is Wikipedia they are unrelated but the "giant" bit is still to distinguish between them (presumably because a lot of people might not realise they're not related)

But they don't look anything alike , and why not just Pandas and Red Pandas ( or preferably give the red ones a different name if they are unrelated )

I don't see how something can be described as " giant" without a comparison

Either one, I don't really care so long as it pisses off Oz.

That's a bit discriminatory - insult the giant panda's lack of colour why don't you?

Have you ever stopped to consider that pandas might not like to be labelled "giant" , especially the lady pandas who may wish to consider themselves as petite .

Have you ever stopped to consider that pandas might not like to be labelled "giant" , especially the lady pandas who may wish to consider themselves as petite .

Then those lady pandas should stop breeding with the big males and try and break off to form their own species of different sized panda.

Still - this then raises the question of what to call them, or should we just kill them all to save the hassle of determining a name?

Then those lady pandas should stop breeding with the big males and try and break off to form their own species of different sized panda.

Still - this then raises the question of what to call them, or should we just kill them all to save the hassle of determining a name?

There isn't any different sized panda though , That is my original question as to why they have been given that label of "giant" when there's no other type .

The only other pandas are red ones and they aren't even pandas , so why not give them a different name altogether?

i suppose a mass cull to extermination would be easier and simpler though , but then The WWF would have to look for a new logo .

There isn't any different sized panda though , That is my original question as to why they have been given that label of "giant" when there's no other type .

The only other pandas are red ones and they aren't even pandas , so why not give them a different name altogether?

i suppose a mass cull to extermination would be easier and simpler though , but then The WWF would have to look for a new logo .

Maybe we should call them the not so giant giant pandas. or Bamboo munching sex-dodgers.

Mass culls are the solution to everything, just ask Nixon:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo5CDlVWAoE

But they don't look anything alike , and why not just Pandas and Red Pandas ( or preferably give the red ones a different name if they are unrelated )

I'm pretty sure you've described yourself as giant without a comparison before.And to be honest they don't care what you call them, as long as you call. I understood that they were Ailuropoda melanoleuca and not Giant Pandas at all.

I'm pretty sure you've described yourself as giant without a comparison before.And to be honest they don't care what you call them, as long as you call. I understood that they were Ailuropoda melanoleuca and not Giant Pandas at all.

That's the taxonomy of their genus and species - but unless you go round calling Jaguars Pantheras onca or western Gorillas Gorilla gorilla then it's not really what they're called.

It's so that you can differentiate between this

giant-panda-picture.jpg

and this

fiat_panda.jpg

Edited by Isle of Wight Fox

Calling them giant pandas and red pandas is like having two sons and calling them both Trevor , and then distinguishing them by calling one of them Giant Trevor and the other one Red Trevor .

:D I'm starting to wish I hadn't asked now

Edit;

what would you call that car if it was red ?

a red panda that's not a real red panda but a panda that just happens to be red .

Edited by Zingari

Calling them giant pandas and red pandas is like having two sons and calling them both Trevor , and then distinguishing them by calling one of them Giant Trevor and the other one Red Trevor .

:D I'm starting to wish I hadn't asked now

Edit;

what would you call that car if it was red ?

a red panda that's not a real red panda but a panda that just happens to be red .

As it's a Fiat, probably Rusty Panda

being as there are so few pandas couldn't we just give each of them a name. Fred, George, Jermaine (for those who can only score in the cup).etc...

Edited by Guest

being as there are so few pandas couldn't we just give each of them a name. Fred, George, Jermaine (for those who can only score in the cup).etc...

:D

good idea , but there'll be a big rush to get Andy Panda as a name.

Edited by Zingari

I think, from what I've read so far of the exchange since this post, you seem to be forgetting how idiotic the standard person is. They're not even the same species, yes, but the world is full of morons who need all the help they can get. I know because I am one.

I think it would be an idea to get a group of sexy lady pandas and form a dancing troupe called Panda’s People

Half bare lady bears? Are pandering to your lascivious desires again?

Edited by Smudge