Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

If I was to start looking for a mortgage online, can you do it multiple times, like car insurance, without it counting against you in someway (possibly like a credit score)?

I have read the moneysavingexpert stuff about mortgages and I am viewing flats around at the moment. What I basically want to do is is get my self set up so that when I do see the property that I want I am fully ready to put an offer in.

With all of the fees and stuff that go with it are they usually paid when you actually move in or do you have to pay up front?

As you can probably tell I am a first time buyer so have a lot of questions!

Multiple credit scores will go against you, but you will only be searched when you actually apply for the mortgage.

In terms of trying to get a mortgage sorted before you find a house, it's a difficult one. You can apply for a mortgage based on a specific house and be offered a Mortgage In Principle. When you find a house, they'll basically have to assess you again.

Fees are dependent on the mortgage. Generally, they'll be something up front and some sort of fees added to the balance. Whoever sells you the mortgage will explain them all. You can probably find a mortgage without fees but the rate will probably be higher, it's all swings and roundabouts.

If I was to start looking for a mortgage online, can you do it multiple times, like car insurance, without it counting against you in someway (possibly like a credit score)?

I have read the moneysavingexpert stuff about mortgages and I am viewing flats around at the moment. What I basically want to do is is get my self set up so that when I do see the property that I want I am fully ready to put an offer in.

With all of the fees and stuff that go with it are they usually paid when you actually move in or do you have to pay up front?

As you can probably tell I am a first time buyer so have a lot of questions!

You can get a mortgage offer at anytime. You don't have to have a house in mind. The mortgage offer is based on you and your circumstances. They will offer it you or offer it you in principal (in principal isn't as concrete as being offered a mortgage) Being offered the mortgage is an official agreement once you sign the offer. But then they'll only definitley agree to lend it you once the property has passed all its checks and searches and that they can be assured that them lending you the money for the house will be a safe investment (ie it aint gonna fall down)

Multiple credit scores will go against you, but you will only be searched when you actually apply for the mortgage.

In terms of trying to get a mortgage sorted before you find a house, it's a difficult one. You can apply for a mortgage based on a specific house and be offered a Mortgage In Principle. When you find a house, they'll basically have to assess you again.

Fees are dependent on the mortgage. Generally, they'll be something up front and some sort of fees added to the balance. Whoever sells you the mortgage will explain them all. You can probably find a mortgage without fees but the rate will probably be higher, it's all swings and roundabouts.

Fee's wise, I paid about £1k for mine, £300 of which was up front, the rest upon exchange of contracts. You canget some fees just added on to your mortgage

Thanks for the replies about the mortgage lads...

Just to make it absolutely clear in my own head, I I go to a bank and sit down with an advisor and say right I'm after a mortgage for x amount and I have this much deposit. Will they do a credit score check at that time?

If all you're asking for is information to decide which type of mortgage is best for you then, probably no. If you are going with the express purpose of applying with any particular lender and make an application, then probably yes.

Edited by Parafox

I have a Virgin Media set box. I am going to move houses soon so will my existing Virgin media set box be moved to my new house when I change my address or will I get a new set box?

Edited by ChickenBoy

I have a Virgin Media set box. I am going to move houses soon so will my existing Virgin media set box be moved to my new house when I change my address or will I get a set box?

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/selfservice.controller?CONFIGURATION=1002&PARTITION_ID=1&TIMEZONE_OFFSET=&USERTYPE=1&VM_CUSTOMER_TYPE=Cable&contactjourney=true&CMD=VIEW_ARTICLE&ARTICLE_ID=110870&RELATED_ARTICLE_CLICK=1&RELATED_ARTICLE_NAME=Moving home? Check which services will be available at your new address

I have a Virgin Media set box. I am going to move houses soon so will my existing Virgin media set box be moved to my new house when I change my address or will I get a new set box?

If your new place can have cable services you will get to keep the same box. You'll get a new account number when you move house but otherwise you shouldn't notice any change. Just contact the movers call centre (the number should be on the website) and be prepared to speak Geordie because the call centre is in Gateshead

If your new place can have cable services you will get to keep the same box. You'll get a new account number when you move house but otherwise you shouldn't notice any change. Just contact the movers call centre (the number should be on the website) and be prepared to speak Geordie because the call centre is in Gateshead

Thanks mate, so all stuff recorded in the set box should be intact? My set box is quite ancient and I would be not too surprised if Virgin decides to issue me with an updated set box.

Thanks mate, so all stuff recorded in the set box should be intact? My set box is quite ancient and I would be not too surprised if Virgin decides to issue me with an updated set box.

You should be able to keep it. Have a word with the people in the call centre to check - Virgin will try and replace older boxes purely because there's usually an increase in customer satisfaction as a result of doing so (less faults/issues etc). However, if you state you want to keep it then it should be ok. I can't imagine they'll make you swap it unless there's a known serious issue with it. However, don't quote me on that, the people in the call centre should know more! I work in marketing for Virgin Media (and used to work with call centres) but there could easily be box related things I don't know about!

• Like 1

Better to call your local vm sales rep in my experience. I did a house move and the call centre were talking about 3/4 weeks and about £35 in fees. Said I'd think about it. Called my boy who dropped his flyer through my door and he just goes yo, call me when you move in. I called him the day before I moved in and he came round the next afternoon. Had it all set up within 20 mins and chopped 50% from the fee. He laughed when I told him the call centre said it would take weeks. Paperwork and pissing about, he said. Much better to just get the local guy in to do it.

Edited by MooseBreath