Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

I'm prescribed to 45mg of Mirtazapine daily; been taking them since April 29th.

Why do I only still regularly sleep up to two hours? The effect of this is starting to take its toll on me (e.g. weariness, baggy eyes). 

Mirtazipine is primarily an antidepressant and is meant to moderate mood. In order to do this, it stimulates brain activity to some extent.

Side effects, however, include drowsiness, as you can see below.

• drowsiness

• dizziness

• anxiousness

• confusion

• increased weight and appetite

• dry mouth

• constipation

If you need medication to help you sleep, I would have thought Zopiclone would have been prescribed. But I'm not saying your doc has got it wrong. Zopiclone is an hypnotic drug and can have quite severe side effects. It's usually only prescribed for short periods to stabilise a sleeping pattern.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

They'll prescribe an anti-depressant if they think the cause of your insomnia is anxiety or depression.

You need to commit to a course of medication for a fair few weeks before they kick in, Wymsey. Literally even a couple of months in some cases.

If you have doubts, thought, consult your GP as there's usually an alternative medication to try.

Edited by Finn the Human
  • Like 1

Thanks both.  :thumbup:

My trials ends when I have my next appointment at the Leicester General (July 15th) - I might as well stick with these and tell them then.

P.S. - It's bloody awful trying everything to make me sleep (without trying not to force myself to).

I had this problem since my GCSE years (5 years ago).

I went to a sleep clinic initially - last August - and the result from this shows up me as having 1.) Iron deficency - hence, I'm prescribed to 'Ferrous Sulphate too, and 2.) a racing-heart rate - hence probably the main reason I'm prescribed to Mirtazapine.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

Thanks both. :thumbup:

My trials ends when I have my next appointment at the Leicester General (July 15th) - I might as well stick with these and tell them then.

P.S. - It's bloody awful trying everything to make me sleep (without trying not to force myself to).

I had this problem since my GCSE years (5 years ago).

I went to a sleep clinic initially - last August - and the result from this shows up me as having 1.) Iron deficency - hence, I'm prescribed to 'Ferrous Sulphate too, and 2.) a racing-heart rate - hence probably the main reason I'm prescribed to Mirtazapine.

Have you tried meditation? Much better for you than pumping yourself full of chemicals and proven* to help with sleeping disorders and many other issues.

*Not necessarily medically proven with clinical trials, but there is plenty of anecdotal evidence of people curing sleep problems through meditation.

Edited by Captain Pancake Face

Yes it is (the clue is in the name), just not very reliable.

The scientist in me is showing again - if you used anecdotes as evidence you'd be laughed out of the proverbial town. Anecdotes are not any sort of evidence to be basing things on.

Anecdotal evidence is no form of evidence. 

Well if you're using the word as an adjective before the noun "evidence" it must be, in your eyes at least.

If I dare ask........

can anyone recommend somewhere that can service a bicycle I have been given. It's a Marin & looks in reasonable condition, considering it has been left out all winter. There's a few rusty bolts, chain, etc. The main problem is that the gears are out of sync. I could probably have a go at setting them up myself but I really can't be arsed.

Quite a few years ago I took a bike to City Cycles near Asda on Narborough Rd Sth. It came back in worse condition than it went.

I could take it Julies Cycles & trust that they would do it properly, but they're a bit expensive.

Does anyone know anywhere decent & preferably south side of Leicester city centre?

Naked bikes on burnmoor st is now the official marin stockist in leicester. Try them.

• Like 1

This is likely to be impossible to answer but does anyone know the average income in tallinn, estonia? Need it for my a level economics exam. Searched all over the internet but keep getting different numbers

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=average+incomes+in+tallinn

First hit, it shouldn't really matter what the figure is for any school work as long as you can back it up with a reliable source, or if you want to be ultra swotty take it from a collection of sources, or use the one that backs your point best.

• Like 1

This is likely to be impossible to answer but does anyone know the average income in tallinn, estonia? Need it for my a level economics exam. Searched all over the internet but keep getting different numbers

do an average of the figures you have found.

Average monthly salary in Estonia for March 2013 was 940euros according to their government's official stats website here: http://www.stat.ee/most-requested

That's for the whole of Estonia though. If you click Subject Areas then Social Life then Income then Statistical Database then IM005: AVERAGE MONTHLY GROSS INCOME PER EMPLOYEE AND RECIPIENTS OF GROSS INCOME BY REGION/ADMINISTRATIVE UNIT, SEX AND AGE GROUP then select 2011 in the first box, Harju County.. Tallinn in the second, the average monthly gross income, then males and females and all ages and then press continue you get an average salary for Tallinn in 2011 of 874.96.

Now if you go back to the original link you'll see average salaries nationwide have increased by approx 12% since 2011, so apply the 12% uplift to the 2011 figure for Tallinn to get 979.95.

No idea how reliable those figures are though. The huge increase in national salaries between February and March this years seems a bit unlikely

Edited by MooseBreath
  • Like 1

Average monthly salary in Estonia for March 2013 was 940euros according to their government's official stats website here: http://www.stat.ee/most-requested

That's for the whole of Estonia though. If you click Subject Areas then Social Life then Income then Statistical Database then IM005: AVERAGE MONTHLY GROSS INCOME PER EMPLOYEE AND RECIPIENTS OF GROSS INCOME BY REGION/ADMINISTRATIVE UNIT, SEX AND AGE GROUP then select 2011 in the first box, Harju County.. Tallinn in the second, the average monthly gross income, then males and females and all ages and then press continue you get an average salary for Tallinn in 2011 of 874.96.

Now if you go back to the original link you'll see average salaries nationwide have increased by approx 12% since 2011, so apply the 12% uplift to the 2011 figure for Tallinn to get 979.95.

No idea how reliable those figures are though. The huge increase in national salaries between February and March this years seems a bit unlikely

:blink:  Moosebacvnt actually knows how to find facts...

This will make interesting in future when asked to support his 'controversial' posts.  :rolleyes:

How much do you normally give in terms of money for a wedding gift?

How good a friend are they?  Are they family?

I suppose it also depends on how many people are likely to give.  If there's a shitload of people giving a monetary gift & they don't particularly need it...........£50?

If it's someone close, they aren't particularly well off & are going to put it towards something worthwhile & not just use it to pay the gas bill...........£200?

It might also depend on how much you have.  If you haven't got a lot.....they shouldn't expect a lot.  That's not to say that if you've got loads they should expect loads.  Whatever you give, they should be grateful.