Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Blur

Questions Thread

Does anyone on here know where  I can buy a copy of Quill 2 in 2 paper , by Mr Ken Duddle.

I'm having great difficulty in finding it .  

I think you should start a separate thread for a question of such importance. :D

Didn't go to Pizza Express, in the end.

We went to 'Agra Spice' (Narborough Road), a restaurant I recommend that is based outside of the 'Golden Mile' area of Leicester. Could eat there all day.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

This is aimed at you gardening professionals ( Mr Sinatra )

I'm looking for a new petrol strimmer, is Stihl the best to go for or is there anything else comparable.

I need a robust model for my contracts ( kids and mothers)

Cheers

Why are you strimming kids and mothers - seems a bit harsh?

This is aimed at you gardening professionals ( Mr Sinatra )

I'm looking for a new petrol strimmer, is Stihl the best to go for or is there anything else comparable.

I need a robust model for my contracts ( kids and mothers)

Cheers

I have 2 petrol hedge cutters, 2 petrol strimmers, a blower & chainsaw..........all Stihl.

For me there is no comparison.  It may cost considerably more, but I have always believed in 'you get what you pay for' & if you look after it - it will last a very long time.

I have known people use Kawasaki & they seem pretty good.  I have seen a lot of Echo stuff & although it is about half the price.......it's shit.  If you do go for a cheaper option, have a look at the availability of parts before buying......not always so easy for obscure Japanese brands.  Stihl's build quality is excellent & they pay particular attention to the user's comfort.  There are all sorts of laws in relation to vibration & white finger, noise levels, etc.  I've always found Stihl the most balanced & user friendly.

I suppose it all depends on how much you are going to use it & the sort of areas you'll be strimming.  If it's a pretty titchy garden......you may as well get yourself an electric Flymo strimmer.  If you're sure you need a petrol strimmer, I have an FS55R for the smaller stuff.  It can handle fairly long & overgrown areas but is better suited for the every day stuff.  From the sounds of it, you could probably go smaller & cheaper?

I recently bought some kit from the following place.  Good prices, good customer service & quick delivery. 

http://www.stihlchainsawsnorfolk.co.uk/stihl-petrol-brushcutters-strimmers/

Feel free to PM me if there's anything I can help you with?

• Like 1

I have 2 petrol hedge cutters, 2 petrol strimmers, a blower & chainsaw..........all Stihl.

For me there is no comparison.  It may cost considerably more, but I have always believed in 'you get what you pay for' & if you look after it - it will last a very long time.

I have known people use Kawasaki & they seem pretty good.  I have seen a lot of Echo stuff & although it is about half the price.......it's shit.  If you do go for a cheaper option, have a look at the availability of parts before buying......not always so easy for obscure Japanese brands.  Stihl's build quality is excellent & they pay particular attention to the user's comfort.  There are all sorts of laws in relation to vibration & white finger, noise levels, etc.  I've always found Stihl the most balanced & user friendly.

I suppose it all depends on how much you are going to use it & the sort of areas you'll be strimming.  If it's a pretty titchy garden......you may as well get yourself an electric Flymo strimmer.  If you're sure you need a petrol strimmer, I have an FS55R for the smaller stuff.  It can handle fairly long & overgrown areas but is better suited for the every day stuff.  From the sounds of it, you could probably go smaller & cheaper?

I recently bought some kit from the following place.  Good prices, good customer service & quick delivery. 

http://www.stihlchainsawsnorfolk.co.uk/stihl-petrol-brushcutters-strimmers/

Feel free to PM me if there's anything I can help you with?

Thanks for all the info ,I've always fancied a Stihl but i didnt know if they were worth the premium.

Just need to decide on the model now.

Thanks for all the info ,I've always fancied a Stihl but i didnt know if they were worth the premium.

Just need to decide on the model now.

It's difficult to say what model would suit your needs.  The best thing I can suggest is trying before you buy.......get your hands on one.

There's a few Stihl dealers in Leicestershire.  Pop in & have a word?

http://www.stihl.co.uk/dealer-locator.aspx

I use a place called Chapmans on Station Road in Countesthorpe for parts & some servicing.  Top bloke, knows his stuff & really helpful.  He would be good for some honest advice, but he may not have much of a selection of strimmers to choose from?

• Like 1

Okay, so my car is crap, I have had an issue with it for some time however I haven't bothered to get it checked cause it usually sorts it self out but I would be interested to know if it could lead to a bigger problem if left...

sometimes (although not often) when I start the car in the morning or when i've left it standing for a while, the car doesn't get out of gear 2 and I have to trundle along until I can stop and start the car again, then it is fine again.

Recently this has been happening but in a higher gear, so I had trundle along on the bypass at 40 until I could stop in a layby. Is this a big issue? Or should I just live with it, bearing in mind it doesn't happen that often.

Thank you and much love.

A car is not a living thing, it can't heal itself. If you leave any problem on a car long enough it will eventually get worse.

You know what Webbo, this is the most sensible thing I've seen you write. I always just ignore issues but it's so obvious that they're not going to get better. I think I've just had a mechanical epiphany.

Not really the point of the thread I realise but a few months ago my young daughter asked me something about whether God had put us all here. No I'm a bit of an atheist (can you actually be a BIT of an atheist?) but decided I'd try to give her as much scope as she wants to find her own path. I said that some people believe that God created everything and put mankind on earth but that others thought that we were descended from monkeys (she doesn't yet know what apes are) which had changed gradually over time. She looked at me and said that that was a ridiculous idea it must be God.

I found it quite amusing myself!

Okay, so my car is crap, I have had an issue with it for some time however I haven't bothered to get it checked cause it usually sorts it self out but I would be interested to know if it could lead to a bigger problem if left...

sometimes (although not often) when I start the car in the morning or when i've left it standing for a while, the car doesn't get out of gear 2 and I have to trundle along until I can stop and start the car again, then it is fine again.

Recently this has been happening but in a higher gear, so I had trundle along on the bypass at 40 until I could stop in a layby. Is this a big issue? Or should I just live with it, bearing in mind it doesn't happen that often.

Thank you and much love.

Whatever is causing it is probably on the way out, as webbo said these things don't cure themselves. I had a clutch cable snap on an old car, before it did it was more difficult to change gear (had to push the pedal down further), wasn't specific to any gear though. You can drive a manual car without a clutch anyway, not ideal for the gearbox but will get you home (plus you will stall when you stop). I managed to drive from London to Leicester (in the early hours, no traffic, mostly M1) with a broken clutch cable... too tight to call the AA as not a member   lol

http://www.wikihow.com/Drive-a-Manual-Transmission-Vehicle-Without-Using-the-Clutch

Edit : Doesn't sound like the clutch cable is your problem though, more likely the gearbox or clutch

Edited by separator

I've often noticed when reading comments on here, people often miss out grammatical particles or articles like to or the. For instance...

"I've just been shops and bought a pair of....."

or

"I reckon he'll go Palace"

Is this a regional thing, laziness or just shorthand when writing on a phone?

I've often noticed when reading comments on here, people often miss out grammatical particles or articles like to or the. For instance...

or

All of the above, although it also appears to be a lack of English writing and speaking skills. Some people tend to write in the same way that they talk.

or

Regional, the and to don't exist in North.

or

If I do it, it's amuse myself, as I speak with an accent, having lived in North for a bit.  :ph34r:

or

lol you're not actually from Leicester are you? It's how people speak here, bit of laziness I guess.