Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Legend_in_blue

Dead Space 2

It's almost here. One of the most anticipated games of 2011 and sequel to one of the most underrated games of the current gen consoles...

Two reviews are up.

95%

The nuanced tweaks and countless subtle refinements really ratchet up the atmosphere and make Dead Space 2 a richer, more streamlined experience...There's a sure-footed confidence this time around that gives the ghastly proceedings a level of character investment and polish that Dead Space never quite achieved. [Feb 2011, p.29]

90%

A monster of a sequel, offering bigger scares and more excitement than I expected... The tease for Dead Space 3 has my head spinning with questions.

Day one purchase for sure. :thumbup:

Discuss!!!

Horror games are so shallow (usually).

I didn't find this one to be at all. It has a very gripping thriller/horror sci-fi story, lots of twists and turns, and there's a very detailed backlog of crew member logs and video diaries to collect on the way. You can also often complete objectives on board the ship in whatever order you like. It's great planning your route to an objective on the map of the deck, dreading what you're going to run into on the way.

here is so much more to it than that too, but I don't want to spoil anything.

It's not very scary compared to Silent Hill for example but it still has it's moments.

Really recommend it, one of my fave games of all time I reckon.

Horror games are so shallow (usually).

Which ones?

Dead Space sets the bar for current gen survival horror games. Nothing current comes close to it. RE4 and the original Silent Hill are the only titles on a par with it.

Edge just gave the sequel 90.

The game's excellent controls and stream of grisly scares make it the current standard for survival horror, and it now boasts eruptions of blockbusting action that rival this generation's biggest games.

PSM3 Magazine gave it 92.

It's beautiful, that goes without saying, and a relentless beast in combat. But more than that, it understands how players play - what they look for, listen to, and most of all what they expect. That's why, and this is a considerable achievement, it can genuinely scare you with a common sprinkler system.

Really looking forward to this now. Anyone download the demo? I haven't, don't want to spoil the surprise! lol

• 2 weeks later...

I've shat myself about a thousand times so far, some very very interesting twists. Fantastic to play. Doesn't seem very long though, I feel I'm already approaching the end, I have managed to figure out the puzzles very quickly though, know a few people getting stuck on the puzzles because they're 'so difficult to work out'. I guess your logical mind and ability to find things will very much determine how quickly you play through. Looking forward to having a second go on the hardest setting.

I now have this. :D

Loving the trade in from it!

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit will net you many pounds in cash. I was in :o when offered £24 for it.

Not bad considering it cost me £25 to start off with! lol

How are people finding DS2 anyway?

Where did you trade hot pursuit in mate?

Where did you trade hot pursuit in mate?

Game.

DS2 is absolutely brilliant. I'm liking the pace. Feels more responsive and quicker than the first. The train section was brilliant.

I died 10 seconds into the game though. Nice of them not to invert the y axis, disorientation followed and that was that. lol

Stuck at the end ( well atleast i think it's the end ) the bit were you are at the marker and you have to shoot her to open marker up then shoot that , just so many creaters i only last 20 seconds .

Is there a trick to it i am missing ? any help is welcome

P.S Game is awesome so scary never jumped so much :)

Stuck at the end ( well atleast i think it's the end ) the bit were you are at the marker and you have to shoot her to open marker up then shoot that , just so many creaters i only last 20 seconds .

Is there a trick to it i am missing ? any help is welcome

P.S Game is awesome so scary never jumped so much :)

Ive just finished my first play through. The build up to the ending was great, better than the first but the final boss you are referring to was a bit of a let down compared to the first.

Try using alt fire with one of your weapons, that should clear out the little guys easily. I got one of the achievements for this, killed like 8 in one shot.

The game itself was brilliant. Now on the second play through and trying survivalist. Then I'll go zealot. The hardcore mode imo is impossible. You're only allowed 3 saves in the entire game?!?! That's like 4 hours between gaming sessions minimum surely.

The ending sets up an inevitable third installment. AC3, DS3, where will it all end?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Second play through complete on survivalist.

It took almost 2 hours less than the first time through. Having totally upgraded the plasma cutter and ripper it's speeded things up a little.

Now it's time for the zealot setting. :thumbup:

Very few games warrant multiple play throughs but this one is so good, it deserves it.

Archived