Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

Another Top 100 Games of all time list!

Glad Tactics was in there though. Was never officially released over here, but I played the US version on my chipped PS1. Much like Parasite Eve, which was a very good Square game that never made it over here too.

And Portal is a great game and tons of fun, but far too short to be considered a classic. It's almost a mini game and was made as an after thought accompaniment to HL2.

They did go for what they thought was the 'best', and I assume that they went with games that were the most fun for them. It could just be a gut feeling, nostalgia, wow-effect or a range of factors, we don't know.

Deus Ex is in there, much lower down, but it is essentially the same game mechanics as Bioshock (and System Shock 2), being a FPS in which you can mod your abilities. So using their own rules, both shouldn't be in there? :dunno:

I always take these things with a pinch of salt - they always favour the most recent releases because they are fresh in the mind. This is true of competions where the competitors are marked by judges. Often the last to go get higher scores.

It's #25. Quite high up actually. I don't think they've favored new games on this list. They've largely explained their choices and they name a whole host of games that are quite obscure and old. I like that they've also picked games on the basis of atmosphere, score and graphics/aesthetics in combination with gameplay. I think that the 'gameplay snobs' tend to overlook the importance of aesthetics and think that gameplay is the be all and end all of games. A bit of balance is good and I guess that's why a game like Bioshock is higher up than Deus Ex.

Well that's just the problem with games and music - ten minutes after the list is done you go, "HOW THE **** DID I FORGET THAT!?!"

I stand by SS2 though. Bioshock is prettier but not a patch storywise - SS2 is the scariest game I've ever played. It has psychic monkeys! (Which I believe clinchs it.)

I would say that visuals have very little to do with horror - the scariest things are what you don't see and which are imagined. SS2 was superb at this. Blood and guts does not make for scary, just gory. This goes for films too.

I don't disagree.

But a certain level of immersion is ruined when you're giggling at a dated, pixelated mess.

I think the Fatal Frame series has aged far, far better than Silent Hill for exactly the reasons you state. Subtle > gore.

I played it as a kid on the N64 and didn't struggle at all, might say more about you than the controls!

I actually think it was a pretty good interface, simple A and B use combined with the C-pad. I liked it.

PS, this was the tits:

super-pad-64.jpg

To be fair I played it after Wind Waker. I don't mean the control layout, the manoeuvrability of Link.

Well that's just the problem with games and music - ten minutes after the list is done you go, "HOW THE **** DID I FORGET THAT!?!"

I stand by SS2 though. Bioshock is prettier but not a patch storywise - SS2 is the scariest game I've ever played. It has psychic monkeys! (Which I believe clinchs it.)

I think you're just going on personal tastes there, really. I think Bioshock's story appeals to me far, far more.

And while I'm very, very cautious of overhyping any writer's "intelligence," anyone that argues that the 'twist' in Bioshock isn't absolutely inspired is playing down one of the most clever pieces of writing in gaming history.

You almost want Atlas to breach the Fourth Wall, point at the gamer and smirk.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea but Microprose Soccer, Jet Set Willy, Manic Miner, Goldeneye and most of all Monkey Island are missing. Glad Grim Fandango got a mention class game. Love Portal but by todays standards it's a snippet of a game.

I think you're just going on personal tastes there, really. I think Bioshock's story appeals to me far, far more.

And while I'm very, very cautious of overhyping any writer's "intelligence," anyone that argues that the 'twist' in Bioshock isn't absolutely inspired is playing down one of the most clever pieces of writing in gaming history.

You almost want Atlas to breach the Fourth Wall, point at the gamer and smirk.

Would you kindly admit that SS2 is better than Bioshock!? :P

I would say that visuals have very little to do with horror - the scariest things are what you don't see and which are imagined. SS2 was superb at this. Blood and guts does not make for scary, just gory. This goes for films too.

OMG shut up about Systemshock 2!

Archived