Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Phube

Another Top 100 Games of all time list!

I'm actually surprised at Call of Duty 4 being only 20th.. Its not the greatest game but the amount of love it gets is unreal and its placed very high on other lists.

I agree with the post mentioning WoW should be higher considering its probably/arguably the most played game today.

Ocarina of Time should definately have been in the top 20 that and Link to the Past imo are better than Wind Waker and Twlight Princess..

I also hate the love for Final Fantasy VII, yes the storyline was fantastic but the graphics were ugly, the gameplay wasn't exactly fantastic either. IX and X imo were much much better games graphically, gameplay, and storywise too.

With all this talk of SS2 I have totally forgotten to say that Portal being voted the best game of all time is beyond a joke. It's not even the best game on the Orange Box.

Read the article and it'll tell you why they chose it!

I have read the article thank you, and I think they are full of Sh1t. There is no way Portal is the best game going no matter how you dress it up.

It mentions accessibility. Even my wife (a very casual game player) can play portal and enjoy it, but then so can I.

The same cannot be said for many other modern games!

By best, we really mean best. These are not the most important, most groundbreaking or most definitive games of all time, though a majority would certainly overlap with those descriptions as well. In selecting what to include, and what rank to assign, we focused only on the word “best.”

WE FOCUS ON THE BEST.

And then go and pick a game because it's accessible. good one.

Any list that has Sega Rally in it and not TOCA2 is invalid. The only driving games it has are Mario Kart, GT and Burnout (Sega Rally cannot be counted as a driving game). No Colin, no Forza, no TOCA, no point.

It mentions accessibility. Even my wife (a very casual game player) can play portal and enjoy it, but then so can I.

The same cannot be said for many other modern games!

Which brings me back to the WoW argument.

10 million subscribers of all ages, genders and races. What's more accessible than that?

Not for one moment saying World of chuffing Warcraft should be top of the list, but for it to be as far down as it is and Portal to be at the top based on the same logic?

Face it. Someone with a vested interest in Portal commissioned this article. :P

Which brings me back to the WoW argument.

10 million subscribers of all ages, genders and races. What's more accessible than that?

Not for one moment saying World of chuffing Warcraft should be top of the list, but for it to be as far down as it is and Portal to be at the top based on the same logic?

Face it. Someone with a vested interest in Portal commissioned this article. :P

That as may be!

But these lists are designed to annoy/spark debate.

No one can ever say 'X' is the best game/movie/song etc. because best is so subjective. So they are merely one person/office/voters snapshot of what they feel at the time! Hell I couldn't even tell you what I thought my favourite/best game is?!!? :dunno:

Oh I agree.

I just also think Manwell is right when he says that this is such a ludicrously leftield nomination for "best game ever" that it does somewhat transcend the usual stupidity of these lists.

Okay, question for you and Manwell (and everyone)...

How could Portal have been better? Or the games you think should be higher.

A different way to look at what constitutes 'best'?

For me (not saying Portal is the best game ever), but there is not much I can suggest to improve it?

For me (not saying Portal is the best game ever), but there is not much I can suggest to improve it?

Why should that constitute what is best? Surely the premise dictates how good a game is or can be. No matter how much you spruce up Tetris, it's still going to be a ultra simple game. For what it is, it's a fine game, but not very ambitious. Notice how many of the games on that list are/were groundbreaking and ambitious despite leaving room for much improvement.

Why should that constitute what is best? Surely the premise dictates how good a game is or can be. No matter how much you spruce up Tetris, it's still going to be a ultra simple game. For what it is, it's a fine game, but not very ambitious. Notice how many of the games on that list are/were groundbreaking and ambitious despite leaving room for much improvement.

But Tetris is one of the best games ever, for this reason. Sod it, my personal definition of best is now "that which cannot be improved"!

tbf, i think manwell is right. To have a list of 100 games and what essentially is kinda test concept of a game to come number 1 is a bit stupid. It is a pretty decent game but it gets boring a repetitive quckly. The only reason its so pick up and playable by anyone is because its a puzzle game at its core which most people can have a good go at

tbf, i think manwell is right. To have a list of 100 games and what essentially is kinda test concept of a game to come number 1 is a bit stupid. It is a pretty decent game but it gets boring a repetitive quckly. The only reason its so pick up and playable by anyone is because its a puzzle game at its core which most people can have a good go at

So if a puzzle game can't be the best game ever... what genre can be? :unsure:

So if a puzzle game can't be the best game ever... what genre can be? :unsure:

didnt say that, I said it was good. I just dont think that the pick up and playability of puzzle games is a factor to make the best game ever lol

didnt say that, I said it was good. I just dont think that the pick up and playability of puzzle games is a factor to make the best game ever lol

Then what does? In your opinion!

Then what does? In your opinion!

Reading back it seems like i might be being a bit bias in the genre of games i enjoy most. I just think that it was a kinda shallow prototype of a game included in the boxset to gain feedback. Tbf it was enjoyed by everyone that played it but I think theyll make the next one alot better

You are playing devils advocate you know full well Portal is no.1 to promote the release of the sequal (which given that Portal can't be improved upon according to you, will be the most pointless games release ever) in a couple of weeks time. The orginal was a side game, it was never sold for full price due to it's very small size, it lacked serious depth. Great game to play through but it's all over very quick;y unless you want to waste your life trying to complete each chamber in under 10 seconds. Limbo was a better stand alone game ffs. Stop arguing for arguments sake we all know you think Mario Metroid and Zelda should dominate the top 10!

You are playing devils advocate you know full well Portal is no.1 to promote the release of the sequal (which given that Portal can't be improved upon according to you, will be the most pointless games release ever) in a couple of weeks time. The orginal was a side game, it was never sold for full price due to it's very small size, it lacked serious depth. Great game to play through but it's all over very quick;y unless you want to waste your life trying to complete each chamber in under 10 seconds. Limbo was a better stand alone game ffs. Stop arguing for arguments sake we all know you think Mario Metroid and Zelda should dominate the top 10!

and so mario + zelda should - Worms should be runaway winners though.

Archived