Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Adster

World of Warcraft

Today after 32 hours I successfully downloaded the WoW trail, as I was recommended to by a friend.

I would like to know if there us anyone on here who has played this, and could give me a brief review on it.

Thanks.

If you want to lose your social life... or your life in general... subscribe

This game is absolutly amazing. Problem is, it's too addictive, you might be playing and think you played for an hour, but then you look at the clock and you realise you've played for 5... it's happened to me on several occasions :sweating:

A brief review? Well, basically you will spend an obscene amount of time 'traveling' back and forth during questing, which are quite repetitive and tedious, and you will get frustrated until you've familiarized yourself with locations. Get used to being ridiculed for being a 'noob' because you're running around in 'the wrong areas' (read not the best XP-earning areas), got less than l33t-gear, don't have x level 80/85s, or millions and millions in your bank account etc. There will be a lot of the great instances in the old world which you'll never enter because the loot isn't quite the best so people will rather grind the same instance over and over in the hope that this great helm or whatever drops. The auction is absolutely necessary to make any decent money but can be very daunting for newbies. It's addictive alright, but the imo high subscription fee and the many annoying aspects will eventually outweigh the fun and good stuff (the atmosphere of the many areas, the variety of classes and skills, the PVP stuff etc) that this game has in abundance.

What shen says.

Plus, to be honest, if you aren't Swedish you'll be crap at it anyway. :thumbup:

Seriously though, it's a waste of money. The world itself was very pretty and very impressive to explore when the game was new, but these days you can get yourself a copy of Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls or whatever and potter about doing better quests in a better world without the interference of petty, twelve year old children.

The "social" aspect of the game has been systematically destroyed by a whole generation of hyper-nerds who take it far too seriously and far too competitive to be really friendly to the point where other people become more hindrance than help.

What shen says.

Plus, to be honest, if you aren't Swedish you'll be crap at it anyway. :thumbup:

Seriously though, it's a waste of money. The world itself was very pretty and very impressive to explore when the game was new, but these days you can get yourself a copy of Dragon Age or Elder Scrolls or whatever and potter about doing better quests in a better world without the interference of petty, twelve year old children.

The "social" aspect of the game has been systematically destroyed by a whole generation of hyper-nerds who take it far too seriously and far too competitive to be really friendly to the point where other people become more hindrance than help.

Have to say, I bought it cheap over Xmas and have probably played about 10 hours, can't really get into it. Just seems like an rather expensive epic grind.

I played it for a couple of years, on and off (Vanilla & the first expansion) and it was a pretty good game, but as many have said it is certainly a long hard slog and the only reason I got it was because a couple of my mates were playing it as well. I wouldn't recommend playing it if you don't have any mates playing with you as from my experience there are too many arseholes on it to have any social interaction.

Played the game for over 6 years until a few months ago (Been there done it all.) All i can say is if you get into a good community and not let it take over your life it can be quite an enjoyable experience.

If your unlucky though the majority of the players are rude and full of themselves, you spend more time grinding than not and theres way much more drama and necessary.

As mentioned above 'Hyper-nerds' take the game way too seriously and hurl out abuse like championship keyboard warriors if you make the slightest mistake.

But as i mentioned above if you find yourself in a good community and only play socially then it can be worthwhile aslong as you dont get addicted.

Played the game for over 6 years until a few months ago (Been there done it all.) All i can say is if you get into a good community and not let it take over your life it can be quite an enjoyable experience.

If your unlucky though the majority of the players are rude and full of themselves, you spend more time grinding than not and theres way much more drama and necessary.

As mentioned above 'Hyper-nerds' take the game way too seriously and hurl out abuse like championship keyboard warriors if you make the slightest mistake.

But as i mentioned above if you find yourself in a good community and only play socially then it can be worthwhile aslong as you dont get addicted.

I think this is true of most MMOs. I've just recently stopped playing City of Heroes/Villains after a similar timescale and everything you say can be applied to that too.

I see where you're coming from, but as a newbie, getting into a good community is a lottery. And even then, you'll mostly find yourself grinding and questing by yourself. If you're fortunate enough that someone offers you their help (without pay mind!) then it's usually in the form of 'boostage' through group areas/instances, which kind of kills the purpose of them. Most of the time though, they'll do raids and end-game stuff and you as a newbie will never be able to catch up. Even if you manage to grind yourself to level 85 or whatever cap they have now, you'll still be light years behind most because you'll have crap gear.

I think this is true of most MMOs. I've just recently stopped playing City of Heroes/Villains after a similar timescale and everything you say can be applied to that too.

Nah, I know where your coming from but just nah, WoW is nowhere near as accesible as Coh/v. Fair few twats on both but they don't pipe up too much on Coh. Never even got to interacting with anyone on WoW as of yet.

I see where you're coming from, but as a newbie, getting into a good community is a lottery. And even then, you'll mostly find yourself grinding and questing by yourself. If you're fortunate enough that someone offers you their help (without pay mind!) then it's usually in the form of 'boostage' through group areas/instances, which kind of kills the purpose of them. Most of the time though, they'll do raids and end-game stuff and you as a newbie will never be able to catch up. Even if you manage to grind yourself to level 85 or whatever cap they have now, you'll still be light years behind most because you'll have crap gear.

I was quite fortunate getting into a good guild in vanilla which continued all the way through to end of wotlk (Getting quite a few realm/faction firsts for raids aswell).

Gearing up since wotlk came out has been far easier then previous expansions, you just have to grind heroics for a few days and your raid ready as long as you know what your doing. Its the gearing in Vanilla and TBC which was hell but this level of easiness has brought a wave of idiots and hyper nerds that think they know it all because they have a few purples.

In fairness if you choose to start the game now then you've missed out on everything that was good about the game to be honest.

Wait for Guild Wars 2 or Star Wars the Old Republic if your looking to get into an MMO. Both of those look extremely promising.

I was quite fortunate getting into a good guild in vanilla which continued all the way through to end of wotlk (Getting quite a few realm/faction firsts for raids aswell).

Gearing up since wotlk came out has been far easier then previous expansions, you just have to grind heroics for a few days and your raid ready as long as you know what your doing. Its the gearing in Vanilla and TBC which was hell but this level of easiness has brought a wave of idiots and hyper nerds that think they know it all because they have a few purples.

In fairness if you choose to start the game now then you've missed out on everything that was good about the game to be honest.

Wait for Guild Wars 2 or Star Wars the Old Republic if your looking to get into an MMO. Both of those look extremely promising.

Always try to get in at the start of an MMO to stop that "small fish in a big pool" feel. It's why I joined City of Heroes/Villains. Didn't have any real love of superheroes, just fancied an MMO that was new at the time.

Just play Runescape; it's free! lol

I used to play Runescape, about 6 months ago, but I got to a high level and just generally got bored of it.

I practically know everything there is to know about it. lol

I effectively only played it because I had a good group of friends who were also playing it. I think that's the key, really.

If you know people playing it and want to play with them then it might be worth the dosh. But otherwise? Meh.

I effectively only played it because I had a good group of friends who were also playing it. I think that's the key, really.

If you know people playing it and want to play with them then it might be worth the dosh. But otherwise? Meh.

Even though one of my last posts was me saying I wouldn't bother, after hearing some reviews on here and on other sites I've decided to give it a try, and also like you said, I do have a group of friends who play it and are helping me on it.

As when I started playing RuneScape when I was about 13-14 I lost ALL my social life and failed most my GCSE's, and only just made it to sixth form where I am now, I quit RuneScape shortly after, after realising that that was the cause of my failure.

Now I'm on a roll with A levels and achieving A's in most subjects I have chose I am definatley NOT going to be sucked in fully to another MMO, I'll play it when I'm free, and not get addicted, that's if I think the game is worth getting after I have played the trail version. I can also cope with the 'un-friendly' environment as I was used to seeing it get dished out by my friends whilst playing RuneScape as I was max level, as were most of my friends.

I have more of a life now from back when I played and was addicted to RuneScape, I met new people, starting going out more etc..

All in all, my life did evolve around MMO's and pretty much everything to do with using a computer back when I was younger, and now i can control and motivate myself easier by looking at how well I'm doing at A-levels since I quit RuneScape.

Thanks for the feedback guys. :thumbup:

Archived