Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
fox123

PSN

Guest Mee-9

In all bad situations there is always some good. Fat kids all over the world that live just to prestige on cod are now screwed

And Quickscopers. I hope people who quickscope have had their accounts nicked.

Got an e-mail today but I'm not sure if it was real because it it says 'dear Playstation user' instead of my name. I don't think the hackers can get your credit card numbers because they would be encrypted wouldn't they?

Next few days, trouble is, they said that a few days ago.

Regarding the data theft, I suppose what I would like to know is was this just lax security on Sony's part or are all "customer databases" vunerable to what appears to be a highly determined and motivated hacker?

I think given enough time a hacker (or a group of) could hack into pretty much anything connected to the internet.

I brought my PS3 3 years ago. As I've said before on here, I was very close to buying a 360 but decided to plump for the PlayStation in the end. And I've been very happy with it. I also have no doubt that had I brought an Xbox then I would have been just as pleased with it. They both would have served my purposes fine and I've got more important shit to worry about than which one of two games machines is better than the other.

Regarding the data theft, I suppose what I would like to know is was this just lax security on Sony's part or are all "customer databases" vunerable to what appears to be a highly determined and motivated hacker?

On another issue, I should imagine that the small developers whose main distrubution channel is the Playstation Store must be taking a big hit. Even when it is back up and running, it will take a while for people to feel confident about trusting Sony with their credit card details.

the group that hacked sony could hack into the FBI database at will if they desired, all internet security is fallable, the better secured systems just have shit loads of layers

PlayStation 3 users can expect to be playing games online within a week.

At a press event in Tokyo this morning, Sony Computer Entertainment president Kaz Hirai apologised for the PlayStation Network outage and confirmed that a gradual re-start for the online service would begin "within a week". Sony is also preparing a 'welcome back' program for PlayStation users, including free downloadable content and a month's free subscription to the PlayStation Plus premium service, which offers enhanced access to online services. Current PlayStation Plus and Qriocity subscribers will get an extra 30 days of free service.

According to Gamasutra, Hirai re-iterated Sony's belief that this was a, "highly sophisticated attack by a skilled intruder." The compromised server was apparently located at AT&T's service centre in San Diego, California. Sony's SNEI division discovered the infiltration attempt on April 17 and shut the service down on April 20, calling in a security firm to help begin an investigation. The FBI is now reportedly involved in the continued hunt for the perpetrator, who may well have accessed 10 million user accounts – although Sony insists there is no evidence the data has been stolen.

A press release has been issued, giving the details of the phased re-introduction of the PSN and Qriocity music download services. The roll-out will begin with the following:

• Restoration of online game-play across the PlayStation3 and PSP systems

• Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers

• Access to account management and password reset

• Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo

• PlayStation Home

• Friends List

• Chat Functionality

All PlayStation users will be required to change their passwords via an immediate firmware update. That password can apparently only be changed on the same PS3 in which that account was activated, or through validated email confirmation.

Outlining the company's plans for increased security, Sony representatives claimed that a new data centre had been under construction for several months and that operations would be moved there shortly. New measures will include automated software monitoring and configuration management to help spot and defend against new attacks; enhanced levels of data protection and encryption; and the implementation of additional firewalls. 'The company has also appointed a new Chief Information Security Officer, "to add a new position of expertise in and accountability for customer data protection and supplement existing information security personnel."

Sony's security measures have come under huge scrutiny over the last week. In the UK, the Information Commissioner's Office is investigating the company for possible breaches of the Data Protection Act. Although it has now been confirmed that user credit card details were encrypted, there are concerns about the level of privileged access hackers were able to attain. Speaking to eWeek Europe, Bill Tarzey, analyst and director at Quocirca, asserted "Sony has said the data was encrypted, but in some ways this is even more disturbing. The thief must have had access to the keys, suggesting a level of privileged users access and authentication had been achieved. It seems Sony is also unsure what has actually been accessed which implies data access auditing measures were not in place."

Hirai pointed out in the press release, however, that the attack has highlighted problems across the entire ecommerce business:

"This criminal act against our network had a significant impact not only on our consumers, but our entire industry. These illegal attacks obviously highlight the widespread problem with cyber-security. We take the security of our consumers' information very seriously and are committed to helping our consumers protect their personal data. In addition, the organization has worked around the clock to bring these services back online, and are doing so only after we had verified increased levels of security across our networks.

"Our global audience of PlayStation Network and Qriocity consumers was disrupted. We have learned lessons along the way about the valued relationship with our consumers, and to that end, we will be launching a customer appreciation program for registered consumers as a way of expressing our gratitude for their loyalty during this network downtime, as we work even harder to restore and regain their trust in us and our services."

Interestingly, Gamasutra reports that in a Q&A session following the press event, Sony admitted that the PlayStation Network had also been attacked by the hacker group Anonymous, which had allegedly distributed personal information about Sony's management, including the schools their children attended. Hirai also dealt with criticisms that the company had waited too long before informing customers of the attack. He re-iterated previous statements that due to the complex nature of the infiltration, it took Sony several days to analyse the data; the company wanted the full-story before going public.

WOOOOOOOOOO! FREE STUFF :D

It depends what the free stuff is. For example, it could be like M and S saying, sorry you've had access to shopping for 3 weeks, here's a subscription to our magazine for a year. Hopefully it will be something we would all want not just free upgrades to certain games or an improved free version of PS store or PSworld which wouldn't be very generous considering the effect this has had on users.

Anyway, what is Qriocity and playstation plus

Playstation plus is a subscription service where you get free/discounted/exclusive stuff from the playstation store. All the things ive seen look decent from it but I just didn't want to pay for it.

Most ps3 exclusive demos come out a week or two early for ps+ and theres loads of ps+ exclusive betas aswell I think.

I've got plus and you get a lot of free stuff like old classic games, have all the sonics, metal gear etc .. i'd say on average you get about £25 - £40 worth of downloads for free a month :thumbup:

Guest Mee-9

Isn't there going to be an Uncharted 3 beta coming out soon?

If it's only ps+ users. WOO HOO

Guest Mee-9

Can't fooking wait!

Battlefield 3 will be the tits n all!

Yeah!

Looks so good BF3 does.

Turned on my ps3 today,

it kept saying signing in, then i had a connection problem so i clicked o and it said signed out at the top, sooooooo what does it mean :P

Turned on my ps3 today,

it kept saying signing in, then i had a connection problem so i clicked o and it said signed out at the top, sooooooo what does it mean :P

They're toying with you! :blink:

Turned on my ps3 today,

I'm still getting the same "maintenance" message.

Archived