Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Joe.

Craig Mackail-Smith

They want £5 million for Maynard.

Doesn,t mean they,ll get that though. Most teams just quote higher prices to try and put off pottential buyers. How many times have we seen players leave clubs for alot less than the asking price?

Doesn,t mean they,ll get that though. Most teams just quote higher prices to try and put off pottential buyers. How many times have we seen players leave clubs for alot less than the asking price?

We will not get Maynard for £3 million, that is a fact.

We will not get Maynard for £3 million, that is a fact.

I reckon we could get him for just over that especially if he hands in a transfer request. Id rather we pay say 3.5 million on him than 3 million on CMS as he is unproven at this level.

I reckon we could get him for just over that especially if he hands in a transfer request. Id rather we pay say 3.5 million on him than 3 million on CMS as he is unproven at this level.

Unproven enough for QPR and Norwich to take an interest.

To score 20 in league one is easy, ask Fryatt, but 34...? Impressive.

Over the course of the last few days I have very quickly changed my tune about cms. Would really like him hear with maynard and nugent. Honestly think if we get those three our strikeforce is done. All very possible as well, the only thing to debate is whether we have the money for maynard AND cms. If i had to choose however i would go for maynard.

EDIT: I also really want jong tae-se

Over the course of the last few days I have very quickly changed my tune about cms. Would really like him hear with maynard and nugent. Honestly think if we get those three our strikeforce is done. All very possible as well, the only thing to debate is whether we have the money for maynard AND cms. If i had to choose however i would go for maynard.

Theres no way we,ll get Maynard and CMS. Id put everything I own on it!

Happy to have him, make no mistake. I'd just rather Maynard came.

Worst case scenario is CMS goes to WH and NM ends up at Forest. Then we're screwed.

Both would be a dream. An absolute dream...Top?

Then we just need a CB and maybe a winger and we are suddenly serious contenders!!

But I would rather have Maynard than CMS,paying around 3M for CMS staggers me as I know he scored 35 goals last season but he's 28 and I just think signing a League 1 Striker for 3M is a real gamble. Also in a few years if we have signed CMS for about 3M then 3 years later he'll be about 31 sohe will have no value in a few years time. On the other hand Maynard is a much better option, as he's young and in a few years time if we buy him for about 3.5M we could make a very good profit if all goes well.

:thumbup:

But I would rather have Maynard than CMS,paying around 3M for CMS staggers me as I know he scored 35 goals last season but he's 28 and I just think signing a League 1 Striker for 3M is a real gamble. Also in a few years if we have signed CMS for about 3M then 3 years later he'll be about 31 sohe will have no value in a few years time. On the other hand Maynard is a much better option, as he's young and in a few years time if we buy him for about 3.5M we could make a very good profit if all goes well. :thumbup:

I agree with the point you are making in principle. But there are so many variables to the outcomes you are predicting. The only thing we know at the minute is that we have had a bid rejected for Maynard and a bid accepted for Mackail-Smith.

Look at it this way. We know Mackail-Smith scored over 30 goals last year, we can see that he has the work rate. As a striker, we need to make sure he gets the right service. If he does, he is going to score goals. One trait that the Championship rewards more than most is workrate. We have the players and play the right way to make sure he will get chances. After that it is up to him. I'm sure as a club, we have scouted him for a while and we know what we are bidding for.

As for Maynard, Yes he scored 20+ 2 years ago. However, he has had a serious injury since and hasn't proven himself fully since he came back. If fit I'm sure we would bring out the best in him. But with 12 months left on his contract I'm not sure he is worth more than £3 Million. And again, I'm sure as a club we are taking his history and contract in to account. Maybe we will go back with a new bid?

I think If you weigh up the options, Craig Mackail Smith is a good signing that will improve our team and score goals. Maynard is a gamble to some degree. But if nurtured could really blossom. I remember when we signed Darren Eadie, he was one of the best players I ever saw in a City shirt but sadly he was blighted by injury. He cost us £3.5 million..... (De Ja Vu???)

Having weighed up everything my heart says Maynard but my head says Mackail-Smith.

Sven knows best.

Archived