Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Joe.

Craig Mackail-Smith

That posh fan post has made me take a look at him a bi not seriously, I think you can allways tell a good striker by the kind of goals they score. For instance Yakubu can no only score stunners as he did against derby, but he seems to have a nack for being in the right place at the right time, CMS, seems to have that same instinct, I think that if given the chances then he will take them! However I do think that he will need a partner like Maynard for the Yak. I just hope he can justify his £3million price tag

good post.

Out of interest, how's wesolowski getting on? Always liked that lad, could have done so much better that he has if it weren't for terrible luck with injuries.

So so season. Struggled with a few minor injuries but did exceptionally well in the Play offs. I like him. Fergie's transfer listed him (along with Charlie Lee & Chris Whelpdale who both scored against you at London Road in L1). Not through his own fault, more because I think we need to offload some names to get more in. Unfortunately for Wes (and Charlie & Whelps), they're the ones chosen.

He deserves better than that, but he'll find another decent side, I've no doubt.

Dear salesman and advertiser, you have done a great job to sell the idea to me to bring CMS in. Thank you for that.

SIGN HIM UP

I didn't actually have to even make that post, I've enough belief in CMS to think he'd have won you over by the end of August, but I just thought i'd be helpful for once!

The harder the player works, the more chances he creates! It's as simple as that! Dickov was not the best footballer but because he chased everything he was a top player for any team, same with Kuyt.

Would love to see him playing for us next season :)

So so season. Struggled with a few minor injuries but did exceptionally well in the Play offs. I like him. Fergie's transfer listed him (along with Charlie Lee & Chris Whelpdale who both scored against you at London Road in L1). Not through his own fault, more because I think we need to offload some names to get more in. Unfortunately for Wes (and Charlie & Whelps), they're the ones chosen.

Surprised about Chris Whelpdale, always thought he was a pretty decent player, took his goal against us well

Here's a little insight into why CMS turned down QPR. It's from the Peterborough Evening Telegraph last night....

“Craig met QPR manager Neil Warnock and was impressed with him, but he wanted assurances that Neil would still be manager at the start of the season and didn’t get them."

The full article doesn't tell us anything we don't know but here's a link.

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/leicester_and_west_ham_chasing_mackail_smith_1_2807397

Here are tonight's comments from the Peterborough Evening Telegraph end....

Posh are keen to complete the sale of star striker Craig Mackail-Smith as soon as possible to help them speed up their own expected transfer activity.

Mackail-Smith held talks with Leicester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson yesterday after Posh agreed a fee with their Championship rivals over the weekend.

Ferguson added: “I expect Craig to move soon as he will want to spend pre-season with his new team-mates.”

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/posh_chasing_manchester_united_s_tunnicliffe_1_2812852

Still no mention of an increased bid from West Ham.

Posh are keen to complete the sale of star striker Craig Mackail-Smith as soon as possible to help them speed up their own expected transfer activity.

Mackail-Smith held talks with Leicester City manager Sven Goran Eriksson yesterday after Posh agreed a fee with their Championship rivals over the weekend.

Ferguson added: “I expect Craig to move soon as he will want to spend pre-season with his new team-mates.”

http://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/sport/football/peterborough-united/posh_chasing_manchester_united_s_tunnicliffe_1_2812852

It says he had talks with Sven yesterday, I wonder how they went ?

Ahhh Shit Fergie tapping up the old man for players again!

Watching those goals and reading what the Posh fans have to say, there's no dispute that he's improved ten fold since he first went there. I'm always suspicious of players that ply their trade in the lower levels until they are mid twenties because there's a chance they'll revert back to that level if things don't work out. But if Sven thinks he's good enough for us then let's go for it. Our fans will love his style of play, he'll be completely different to Yakubu and that's all they want. So most of us will be happy. Hope he can make the step up.

There was a team in the late 1990's who reached the top 10 of the Premier four years running and won a couple of League Cups. That team was full of the players who were in the category you mention.

Remind me who that was again?

I don't think most fans would haev expected CMS as a target, and now he has acquired (through no fault of his own) a £3m price tag it is massively set up for him to fail. I really hope if he comes he gets off to a good start rather than give the moaners ammunition to moan on the phone in!

The 90's team mentioned above were mostly 6 figure sums were they not? The only 7 figure I can remember was Matty Elliott who was £1.8m I think? There is a huge difference when you can sneak into a team for such a modest price and then quietly go about your business. Seven figure price tags unfortunately bring the spot light on players. I just hope he can handle it.

On a side note, is Yakubu gone from everyones minds yet?

Although there's no reputable source. (I'm afraid it's from the site that we dare not mention). There's a rumour that West Ham are currently being hampered getting people in due to the lack of serious activity getting players out and off the wage bill.

Very likely b*ll*cks but there is an occasional golden nugget in that river of sh*te.

I don't think most fans would haev expected CMS as a target, and now he has acquired (through no fault of his own) a £3m price tag it is massively set up for him to fail. I really hope if he comes he gets off to a good start rather than give the moaners ammunition to moan on the phone in!

The 90's team mentioned above were mostly 6 figure sums were they not? The only 7 figure I can remember was Matty Elliott who was £1.8m I think? There is a huge difference when you can sneak into a team for such a modest price and then quietly go about your business. Seven figure price tags unfortunately bring the spot light on players. I just hope he can handle it.

On a side note, is Yakubu gone from everyones minds yet?

But 1.8 million at the time was a lot of money, especially when you consider we signed him from Oxford. And Izzet cost around 900k, if memory serves me correctly. Don't forget around that time Shearer was a record transfer at 15 million. In todays game the same transfer for the same player would probably weigh in at 30-40 million. So by those loose calculations Elliot would now cost us around 4 million and Izzet around 2 million. An awful lot to spend on a centre back from the lower leagues and an unknown Chelsea reserve. Unfortunately that's just how the game is now, inflated prices are the norm. So a player shouldn't have the added pressure (we all know he will) because it's just not what he's worth.

I'm sure he will do just fine, maybe not justify his price tag, but he is a work horse and we all love that type of player down here

There was a team in the late 1990's who reached the top 10 of the Premier four years running and won a couple of League Cups. That team was full of the players who were in the category you mention.

Remind me who that was again?

I was alluding to players who were playing non-league. The game has changed since the 90's, very few go from non-league and cut it in the Premiership aged 27/28. I just hope CMS can fire us there.

I was alluding to players who were playing non-league. The game has changed since the 90's, very few go from non-league and cut it in the Premiership aged 27/28. I just hope CMS can fire us there.

DJ Campbell :ph34r:

But 1.8 million at the time was a lot of money, especially when you consider we signed him from Oxford. And Izzet cost around 900k, if memory serves me correctly. Don't forget around that time Shearer was a record transfer at 15 million. In todays game the same transfer for the same player would probably weigh in at 30-40 million. So by those loose calculations Elliot would now cost us around 4 million and Izzet around 2 million. An awful lot to spend on a centre back from the lower leagues and an unknown Chelsea reserve. Unfortunately that's just how the game is now, inflated prices are the norm. So a player shouldn't have the added pressure (we all know he will) because it's just not what he's worth.

I'm sure he will do just fine, maybe not justify his price tag, but he is a work horse and we all love that type of player down here

I understand what you're saying and I don't want to drag this off topic but there is something huge about the seven figure mark still. If Hull take Hobbs off of our hands for the rumoured £800k its a "bargain". If they had him for £1m + he would probably be classed as a "good buy".

Anyway, price tag aside I am quite excited about CMS now. I hope he can come in and do a job. I think Sven is definitely signing the right type of player with the likes of Danns and CMS. Peltier looks like he can add flair from the back much like Masilela. If we get all the players we seem to be linked with (and I dont mean silly linked like Owen/Beckham) then we may well have a decent squad come August!

some comments from the forest forum from somebody who seems to be in the know and is pretty well respected. he's from peterbrough too.

Mackail-Smith NOT a done deal yet. (Although it's about 95% certain to get done as the clubs have agreed a (IMHO) extortionate fee and the player has agreed terms) Having said that, West Ham are still involved and could still snatch him

(reply to somebody saying is the fee 3.5million) ................The total is a bit more than that. If all of the add ons are achieved it's £3.66m, although I'm not sure of the exact break-down and there is a sell-on clause too.

EDIT: I should probably add that Posh are currently talking to Leicester's Tom Kennedy, to try and agree terms and if that goes through, he becomes part of the deal, reducing the cash element to about £2.8m-ish (still including the add-ons)

(reply to somebody saying we should spend the money on maynard).............. That's actually part of the reason it hasn't gone through yet. Leicester's first choice is Maynard, but I don't believe they've yet submitted a bid which is acceptable to Brizzle. CMS is their second choice and he'd rather go to West Ham, so both sides are waiting to see what happens. Plus Posh really want to get their hands on Kennedy, who they had on loan last year. So it's at a bit of an impass at the moment.

some comments from the forest forum from somebody who seems to be in the know and is pretty well respected. he's from peterbrough too.

Mackail-Smith NOT a done deal yet. (Although it's about 95% certain to get done as the clubs have agreed a (IMHO) extortionate fee and the player has agreed terms) Having said that, West Ham are still involved and could still snatch him

(reply to somebody saying is the fee 3.5million) ................The total is a bit more than that. If all of the add ons are achieved it's £3.66m, although I'm not sure of the exact break-down and there is a sell-on clause too.

EDIT: I should probably add that Posh are currently talking to Leicester's Tom Kennedy, to try and agree terms and if that goes through, he becomes part of the deal, reducing the cash element to about £2.8m-ish (still including the add-ons)

(reply to somebody saying we should spend the money on maynard).............. That's actually part of the reason it hasn't gone through yet. Leicester's first choice is Maynard, but I don't believe they've yet submitted a bid which is acceptable to Brizzle. CMS is their second choice and he'd rather go to West Ham, so both sides are waiting to see what happens. Plus Posh really want to get their hands on Kennedy, who they had on loan last year. So it's at a bit of an impass at the moment.

£2.8m + Kennedy (whom most of us had forgotten was still on our books, let alone worth £800k) is decent business.

The sooner the deals are signed, though, the better.

Edit: Twitter sources are saying that Hammers are about to sign Jay Bothroyd, so this might lessen their chances of signing CMS.

I hope he does sign- a goalscorer with pace who always give 100%. I’ve always been impressed whenever I’ve seen him play. Ok, the fee may seem high but if he performs as I expect that will soon be forgotten. (I can see Waghorn being sold if he signs; a pity as he never had a proper opportunity under Sven).

[some posters have compared the price to Matt Elliott – some comparison as he was a late developer too. He was in non league till he was 20, but did nothing at his first club. He didn’t sign for Oxford till he was 26 and it was only then, he really started to become the player he developed into. (Incidentally, I’m fairly certain Oxford were in second tier when he was signed and fee did not seem excessive - he was immense there. )]

Either Nugent or Maynard alongside CMS & i'll be happy!

Archived