Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Joe.

Craig Mackail-Smith

I know we are a championship club but look at the ridiculous money that players have moved for recently:

Torres - 50 mill

Carroll- 30 odd million

Henderson - 20 million

Neymar - his release clause will generate God knows how many million

Ok, cms is not anywhere near the calibre of the players mentioned above, but if we want him, 3 million is about the going rate...

I'm surprised that so many seem surprised at such a fee, the market is crazy at present, especially for home grown talent.

So far, sven has been extremely shrewd in his signings but if he wants cms we will have to pay for him...

Personally, a strike pairing of smith and maynard I find extremely exciting

But they're all young players with bags of potential to get better. CMS is 28, how much better will he get?!

I know we are a championship club but look at the ridiculous money that players have moved for recently:

Torres - 50 mill

Carroll- 30 odd million

Henderson - 20 million

Neymar - his release clause will generate God knows how many million

Ok, cms is not anywhere near the calibre of the players mentioned above, but if we want him, 3 million is about the going rate...

I'm surprised that so many seem surprised at such a fee, the market is crazy at present, especially for home grown talent.

So far, sven has been extremely shrewd in his signings but if he wants cms we will have to pay for him...

Personally, a strike pairing of smith and maynard I find extremely exciting

Doesn't mean our management has to be so foolish and join this ridiculous circus by any means.

Spending? Yes. Reasonable? Very much so.

£3m on Craig Mackail-Smith? £4m on Maynard? £4m on Mills? Not reasonable.

The problem here is that the top flights all across Europe are spending money like never seen before.

At the same time, Barcelona and Real Madrid are announcing massive losses - FC Barcelona with 600m Euros in debt, if I'm not mistaken (yet they're still buying!!!).

This current practice with over-inflated asking prices for players is ruining the game.

There needs to be a point in time where a couple of top-flight clubs have to go bust or have to pushed to the brink of administration in order to re-establish a healthy financial basis.

We've just gotten "saved" by an Asian consortium who have pledged their commitment to the club.

For my part, I don't want to go back to the times anno 2004-2008. I've had enough of it. And the current owners have so far come up with smart transfer moves.

Seeing the millions thrown around in the Premier League triggers a domino effect, it trickles down the leagues.

Suddenly, you're faced with agents and clubs demanding somewhat outrageous fees, even in the Championship.

And that's probably also the cause why it has taken our management team so long to come up with good deals.

In fact, any team in the Championship is more or less faced with the same dilemma: How to invest wisely.

Agreed mate, he's obviously looking for a huge deal for the Championship.... but if he bangs in 20+ goals and we get promoted then it will have paid for itself

Though he would probably want a promotion wage rise clause aswell :( Id love him here, but I don think its looking good, hence the other targets. Ah well, its excitig anyway aha

terryb1970 terry buck

@

@Fourth_Official. Mackail smith medical at lcfc?

1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply

in reply to ↑

@Fourth_Official

Fourth Official

@terryb1970 As far as I'm aware, No.

52 minutes ago via web

Guest Col city fan

Doesn't mean our management has to be so foolish and join this ridiculous circus by any means.

Spending? Yes. Reasonable? Very much so.

£3m on Craig Mackail-Smith? £4m on Maynard? £4m on Mills? Not reasonable.

The problem here is that the top flights all across Europe are spending money like never seen before.

At the same time, Barcelona and Real Madrid are announcing massive losses - FC Barcelona with 600m Euros in debt, if I'm not mistaken (yet they're still buying!!!).

This current practice with over-inflated asking prices for

players is ruining the game.

There needs to be a point in time where a couple of top-flight clubs have to go bust or have to pushed to the brink of administration in order to re-establish a healthy financial basis.

We've just gotten "saved" by an Asian consortium who have pledged their commitment to the club.

For my part, I don't want to go back to the times anno 2004-2008. I've had enough of it. And the current owners have so far come up with smart transfer moves.

Seeing the millions thrown around in the Premier League triggers a domino effect, it trickles down the leagues.

Suddenly, you're faced with agents and clubs demanding

somewhat outrageous fees, even in the Championship.

And that's probably also the cause why it has taken our management team so long to come up with good deals.

In fact, any team in the Championship is more or less faced with the same dilemma: How to invest wisely.

Again a very shrewd post IMO. However, you can't get away from the power of market forces. If Peterborough don't want to sell cms for any less than three mill then they don't have to. Not at present anyway.

This leaves City, west ham et al with the dilemma of making a decision to pay the going rate for the player they want, or not doing so and going for somebody else they don't want as much because he's cheaper..

I'm just listening to the morning breakfast show on talk sport which is debating the fact that arsenal haven't spent much over the past few seasons but have won nothing for six years.

City could think that the signing of cms will lead to promotion, or at least will improve our chances of going up. Do we then pay the three mill asking price and take the chance? Such is football really... This balancing act has always been present in the game, it's just that it has reached ridiculous levels.

Personally I would sign cms for three mill and Maynard for four... If we have that sort of money having this strike pairing could most definitely be the difference between success and failure.

However... We also need a centre back and a commanding midfielder...

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_7010286,00.html

Norwich chief executive David McNally has denied claims that Craig Mackail-Smith snubbed the Canaries in favour of a move to Leicester.

The 27-year-old striker is set for the Foxes after Peterborough United accepted a reported offer of £3million.

Premier League new-boys Norwich were interested in Mackail-Smith earlier in the year and Posh director of football Barry Fry claims they made an approach for the forward.

However, McNally flatly denies this claim and he posted on his Twitter account on Tuesday that City had not returned for the striker since they dropped their interest last season.

He wrote: "For the record, CMS (Mackail-Smith) did not turn down Norwich City, despite what Barry Fry might say. Our interest ended in March."

Meanwhile, West Ham are understood to be considering an 11th hour bid while QPR are also interested in Mackail-Smith.

Fry

"We have accepted a bid from Leicester," said Fry on Monday. "Their manager Sven-Goran Eriksson is out of the country at the moment, but was due to speak to Craig over the weekend.

"I have had several conversations with West Ham, but we have turned down their bid. I am certain they will be back.

"Craig is facing a tough decision. He turned down Norwich and he has now turned down QPR.

"Craig met QPR manager Neil Warnock and was impressed with him, but he wanted assurances that Neil would still be manager at the start of the season and didn't get them."

Passed the medical.

He's yours. Expected to be confirmed tomorrow, depending on Posh.

Don't believe anything Radio Cambs say, their source is Barry Fry who's just trying to get WH involved.

Okay cheers mate! You can have Kennedy I'll drive him to your ground. He's rubbish! :giggle:

Am I the only one that thought Kennedy looked half decent? Would never cut it in the premier league though and isn't good enough for a championship club aiming for promotion. Could do a decent job at posh though I reckon.

Kennedy only started 2 games for us in the league, one was Portsmouth (a), which was on TV and a debacle for the whole team, the other was Norwich (a), which I saw. Against Norwich, Sousa had obviously obviously instructed him to play high up the pitch because there were big gaps behind him. Its hard to judge him based on just those 2 games.

Archived