Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
chrisfox

Mac advice

Need some advice regarding Mac computers

Looking for the cheapest I can get to be able to use GarageBand (and have audio in to record guitars) and also for possible iphone app development.

Don't think i'd need the latest hardware, but I don't want to shell out the money for anything new from Apple

Also I have no idea what OS version I'd need

I can get mac mini off ebay for about £200 but I don't know if that will fullfil my critea or not

any advice will be much appreciated

Well, are you looking for a desktop or laptop?

What is your price range?

Apple will release their newest OS, Lion, this July, so you better hold out for another month before purchasing one.

Oh, and there's always friendly staff at the Apple Store.

Need some advice regarding Mac computers

Looking for the cheapest I can get to be able to use GarageBand (and have audio in to record guitars) and also for possible iphone app development.

Don't think i'd need the latest hardware, but I don't want to shell out the money for anything new from Apple

Also I have no idea what OS version I'd need

I can get mac mini off ebay for about £200 but I don't know if that will fullfil my critea or not

any advice will be much appreciated

Why don't you just look at PC based software? Cakewalk have a great line up of applications.

Macs hold their value in a way PCs can only dream about, so second hand kit is not all that cheap.

Garageband has been updated numerous times as part of the iLife software suite which comes with Macs when you buy them. So you should find that whatever you buy comes with a version on it.

For a start you need to get an Intel based Mac for anything new to run at all. A Mac mini is basically a macbook laptop in a mini desktop box so it can be a little limited, so look around and fine the newest one you can afford. Early Core 2 duo ones should be a decent price I guess. That said there is probably a new version coming out soonish which will lead to some people upgrading so you might get a bargain if you wait.

For the audio in I think you will need some kind of USB hub to do anything decent. Check out the apple store online for recommendations. Buy elsewhere obviously.

Why don't you just look at PC based software? Cakewalk have a great line up of applications.

Macs hold their value in a way PCs can only dream about, so second hand kit is not all that cheap.

Garageband has been updated numerous times as part of the iLife software suite which comes with Macs when you buy them. So you should find that whatever you buy comes with a version on it.

For a start you need to get an Intel based Mac for anything new to run at all. A Mac mini is basically a macbook laptop in a mini desktop box so it can be a little limited, so look around and fine the newest one you can afford. Early Core 2 duo ones should be a decent price I guess. That said there is probably a new version coming out soonish which will lead to some people upgrading so you might get a bargain if you wait.

For the audio in I think you will need some kind of USB hub to do anything decent. Check out the apple store online for recommendations. Buy elsewhere obviously.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Looking at Mac prices I'll prbably go down the Cakewalk route.

Found this which looks exactlly what I'm after to do any recording on my pc with some backing tracks (but would go for the USB version that comes with the Audio interface)

Cakewalk Guitar Tracks Pro 4

Archived