Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
rico

Laptop Problem

Everytime i try to watch anything on You tube my laptop closes down

Can anybody advise if this is just a setting i may need to alter or do i need to take it in for repair or is it fooked lol

Sounds to me like your laptop is overheating (tends to happen more when watching vids, don't ask me why) and then shutting itself down as a safety mechanism. It's possible you just have too much dust in your airflow/fan cooling system. Get some compressed air (PC World and such like sell cans of it) so you can blow it out and give it a decent clean. If your laptop is shutting down due to overheating, you run the risk of damage each time it happens.

Alternatively try putting it on blocks of some sort (eg, perching it across 2 books - make sure they're not blocking the fans tho!) so it's raised up a bit (this allows more air to circulate around the machine so it cools more effectively) and see if that sorts it. I've also heard of people using a chillpad, which seems to do the trick, but I've not tried one myself.

Also, try downloading SpeedFan. This will allow you to check the temperature so you can see what temp it is when it shuts down so you'll know for sure if it's getting too hot.

If you do have a cooling issue, this is the way forward:

brando_laptop_2.jpg

(Or something like.)

It's pretty much compulsory with my laptop because it's so big that the fans are effectively useless, heh, but to be honest now I've had one I'd probably get one with any machine.

Sounds to me like your laptop is overheating (tends to happen more when watching vids, don't ask me why) and then shutting itself down as a safety mechanism. It's possible you just have too much dust in your airflow/fan cooling system. Get some compressed air (PC World and such like sell cans of it) so you can blow it out and give it a decent clean. If your laptop is shutting down due to overheating, you run the risk of damage each time it happens.

Alternatively try putting it on blocks of some sort (eg, perching it across 2 books - make sure they're not blocking the fans tho!) so it's raised up a bit (this allows more air to circulate around the machine so it cools more effectively) and see if that sorts it. I've also heard of people using a chillpad, which seems to do the trick, but I've not tried one myself.

Also, try downloading SpeedFan. This will allow you to check the temperature so you can see what temp it is when it shuts down so you'll know for sure if it's getting too hot.

Thanks,this has helped :thumbup:

Go to the system logs, go to the date and time it happened and see what was happening around that time.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. On the left hand side click Event Viewer and then System

Archived