Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
broughtonblue

Excel

I would like to learn how to use excel, but as a complete novice I'm wondering what the best way to go is? I don't use it at work so can't ask colleagues, are those 'for dummies' books any good or would they be baffling? I'm using office 10, any advice, help would be much appreciated. Remember the 'complete novice' bit when you reply!!

Guest Mee-9

I've learnt how to use Excel since I was little, been bought up with Microsoft software throughout education.

I'd try saying, try getting to grips with basics. Formulae's for adding/subtracting/dividing/multiplying.

Then experiment with graphs and other aspects. I'm fairly advanced when it comes to Spreadsheets, if you want any advice or anything mate, just pm :)

I've gone through school and used excel, but never actually known how to use it apart from the very basics. Even managed to get a GCSE using it at the top grade, but wouldn't have much of a clue if it was put infront of me now. Never actually been taught how to use it properly which i find quite odd.

Excel's an amazing piece of software, and if you can learn how to use it properly then it makes anything to do with numbers a breeze! You can also use it to make things look nice in way of formatting.

The way that I learnt was simply to play with it, and then when I wanted to do something but I couldn't, I'd Google it.

Excel Forum was a godsend.

There was a FIFA PS3 league on here a few years, before you could create leagues within FIFA, so I created a spreadsheet for it. This.

Just get emersed in little projects because then you're more motivated to learn it and there's a final end product. I believe that someone on here uses Excel professionally as part of their job? A Londoner I think??

I've learnt how to use Excel since I was little, been bought up with Microsoft software throughout education.

I'd try saying, try getting to grips with basics. Formulae's for adding/subtracting/dividing/multiplying.

Then experiment with graphs and other aspects. I'm fairly advanced when it comes to Spreadsheets, if you want any advice or anything mate, just pm :)

Thanks mate, as I said I'm a complete novice so you really wouldn't want me to pm you all the time, but if I get really confused I might pm you occasionally.

Never really liked Excel but seeing as I have been undertaking a course in IT at college, I found myself having to learn it and use it because we had to undertake a unit named 'Advanced Spreadsheet Skills'.

I didn't understand it initially, but after doing the unit my Excel techniques have significantly increased and I now use a range of formulas throughout my spreasheets which I make for college or just for home.

Learn the basics first, and then move on. Some of the advancing formulas do come in handy from time to time, and as the above post says, Excel is pretty good once you learn it all. Mind you, I am still learning it as well.

I did a 3 month course in it, albeit basics. I cannot remember a thing about it now. Didn't have a clue then and don't now. lol

So did I and mostly forgotten it too. Passed easily - didn't listen in class and was helping teacher by the end - I basically just kept using the "help" function to teach myself.

As I remember it's not that complicated.

I do genuinely use it to monitor my monthly cash flow intakes/drawings. Been taught the formulae at School and still use it. Using graphs is one that is more confusing with the styles on offer etc.

Guest Mee-9

Thanks mate, as I said I'm a complete novice so you really wouldn't want me to pm you all the time, but if I get really confused I might pm you occasionally.

No problem mate, any time.

Archived