Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

That bit threw me, as well. I can only think of about a dozen who are definitely bigger than us in the country.

I can stomach being called a small club because we are relatively small compared to Arsenal and Man U etc etc but tiny? Fvck off.

Former Mirror writer and Leicester City fan Martin Taylor in USA Today (the paper I bashed a few pages back lol)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2015/12/22/english-premier-league-christmas-miracle-leicester-city/77775566/

Closed out of disgust when he talked about persuading his son not to support Leicester.  True City fan that one.  :rolleyes:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/12064099/Ranking-the-20-best-players-in-the-Premier-League-December-2015.html?frame=3533109

Ranking the 20 best players in the Premier League: December 2015

14 - Christian Fuchs, Leicester
Leicester’s astonishing rise to the top of the Premier League table is as a result of the entire team playing out of their skins, and the first of this group to appear in this month’s Babbello Index is Austrian left back, Christian Fuchs. Fuchs is a fundamental part of Leicester’s play and has made more interceptions (26) this month than any other player in the entire league. So often this season Fuchs has been the first of Ranieri’s side to win the ball back, the ground zero of those devastating counter attack moves which have resulted in Leicester’s apparently unstoppable momentum. And he’s a left back. Oh and he assisted that record breaking Jamie Vardy goal against Man Utd too, with an absolutely perfect pass.

8 - N'golo Kante, Leicester
The previously unsung hero of Leicester City’s table topping team has been spotted by a few people now, in the same way that it became ‘really cool’ to tell people Paul Scholes was the best midfielder in Premier League history about five years ago. Kante doesn’t play like Paul Scholes of course, but is the key to Leicester’s counter attacking plan in the midfield. He has made 24 interceptions this month, slightly less than his teammate Christian Fuchs, but has also made 25 tackles. It is his vision to break up the play in the centre of the park that puts Leicester’s rapid transitions to attack in play. You wouldn’t put him in your Fantasy Football team, but right now you’d really want him in your actual team. Especially if your team is Leicester, which is who he plays for.

3 - Jamie Vardy, Leicester
It’s probably time we realise that Jamie Vardy is actually quite good. Three goals and two assists in five games is a phenomenal achievement for any Premier League striker but it has become routine for Leicester’s. Vardy is perfect for the counter attack - direct, aggressive and really quick, defences throughout the league have not been able to stop him. It feels like the goalscoring will have to slow down at some point and we’ll all return to reality, but it’s been going for so long now… is he good? This is all so confusing.

1 - Riyad Mahrez, Leicester
He’s brilliant, this guy. A bag of tricks, a pocket full of rainbows and a first touch that would make Ronaldinho sit up and take notice, Mahrez has been tearing teams apart this month, scoring two and assisting six. The way he controlled a high ball in the box against Swansea and slotted past the goalkeeper was nice but the way he left Cesar Azpilicueta tangled in knots in the Chelsea box was borderline erotic. We can only hope that he maintains this form and Leicester don’t think it a good idea to cash in in January. What a player.

Borderline erotic about sums it up.

Nothing borderline about it!  :xmasbiggrin:

Went back to the hotel after the game raving about that goal to Mrs Oz, made her watch a couple of replays... ahhhhh what a night, thanks Riyad ;)

LONDON (Reuters) - Liverpool manager Juergen Klopp is full of admiration for Leicester City's style of football which has propelled the Midlands club to the top of the Premier League.
Source: 
Reuters
25 DEC 2015 - 2:53 AM  UPDATED 40 MINS AGO

Leicester lead Arsenal by two points at Christmas after a breathtaking opening half of the season which has seen them top the scoring charts with 37 goals in 17 games.

"They play nearly perfect counter attacking football, very quick," Klopp, who replaced Brendan Rodgers at Anfield in October, told a news conference on Thursday.

"I have big respect for (Leicester manager) Claudio (Ranieri) and the whole squad of Leicester."

Ranieri visited Borussia Dortmund's training ground last season when Klopp was still in charge, and the two managers clearly share a similar football philosophy.

"It's always interesting to talk to people like him and that's what we did," Klopp said.

"There's big respect from both sides. He will always stay successful in his managerial career."

Leicester have benefited from no European distractions this season, and a relatively light injury list, although Klopp says the Foxes are deservedly leading the title race.

"I'm not surprised (about their progress)," he said. "That's how football works, you need to use and take your chances. That's what they do.

"They don't need too many chances to score goals. They have two obvious strong strikers with perfect runs, no injuries, can go all week and they have a long week to train and recover.

"It's really deserved and I'm not surprised anymore, nobody is. It's no coincidence, it's really hard work.

"They deserve the run they are in. It's good defending and nearly perfect counter-attacking football, it's really quick and high quality."

Jamie Vardy (15) and Riyad Mahrez (13) have combined to score 75.7 percent of Leicester's league goals this season, with Algerian Mahrez twice on target in last week's 3-2 victory against Liverpool's Merseyside neighbours Everton.

(Reporting by Martyn Herman, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/premier-league/12064099/Ranking-the-20-best-players-in-the-Premier-League-December-2015.html?frame=3533239

Perhaps unsurprisingly City have 4 players in top 20:

14- Fuchs

8 - Kante

3 - Vardy

1 -  Mahrez, comment no-one will disagree with:

He’s brilliant, this guy. A bag of tricks, a pocket full of rainbows and a first touch that would make Ronaldinho sit up and take notice, Mahrez has been tearing teams apart this month, scoring two and assisting six. The way he controlled a high ball in the box against Swansea and slotted past the goalkeeper was nice but the way he left Cesar Azpilicueta tangled in knots in the Chelsea box was borderline erotic. We can only hope that he maintains this form and Leicester don’t think it a good idea to cash in in January. What a player.

This has got to be one of the weirdest articles about Leicester City I've ever read:

http://xtheline.co.uk/the-christmas-surprise-of-leicester-city/

THE CHRISTMAS SURPRISE OF LEICESTER CITY

By Ollie Baines

Not many would have guessed Leicester City would be occupying the top spot in the Barclays Premier League at Christmas. Ollie Baines looks at why the Foxes have more to cheer about this festive season.

Even now I still find myself in shock when I look at the summit of the Barclays Premier League table. For so long we have been used to seeing the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City & Liverpool taking centre stage. But not this year!

Claudio Ranieri’s, Leicester City have defied the odds thus far and are the cream of the crop in the worlds best league. After 17 games, the Foxes sit in first place on a very healthy 38 points and have kept the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea and-co well at bay.

If that wasn’t enough of a surprise, then wrap this up and put it under your tree…

28-year-old, former Halifax Town striker, Jamie Vardy is the Premier League’s top scorer and has also made history after scoring in 10 consecutive Premier League games. Leicester have a lot to thank Jamie Vardy for, who has now been drafted into the England senior squad.

Meanwhile, his fellow team-mate, Riyad Mahrez is also turning heads. The Algerian midfielder has been in sensational form for the Foxes; turning goal-scorer and provider for the surprise outfit with 14 goals and 7 assists.

The question is, can the Foxes keep going?

We’ve seen teams flit between the top 4 for a few weeks before they petered out, but not this side. Not yet. Surely they have gone past the “fluke” stage and now Leicester City can really been taken as a serious title contender.

Can the Christmas surprise, Leicester City win the Premier League?

Final Thought

As Christmas day looms, many of us will be getting the last of our wrapping and festivities done before the chaos descends on us all tomorrow.

Whilst Leicester might be the surprise package of Christmas, we must not forget the best surprise that was given to us all. The best present anyone could ever ask for. Jesus.

Luke 2 v 10, ‘But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger’.

Spare a thought and remember the true meaning of Christmas. Don’t take the ‘Christ’ out of Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

----------

WTF the latter part has to do with us I'll never know!

Baffling.

This has got to be one of the weirdest articles about Leicester City I've ever read:

By Ollie Baines

Not many would have guessed Leicester City would be occupying the top spot in the Barclays Premier League at Christmas. Ollie Baines looks at why the Foxes have more to cheer about this festive season.

Even now I still find myself in shock when I look at the summit of the Barclays Premier League table. For so long we have been used to seeing the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester City & Liverpool taking centre stage. But not this year!

Claudio Ranieri’s, Leicester City have defied the odds thus far and are the cream of the crop in the worlds best league. After 17 games, the Foxes sit in first place on a very healthy 38 points and have kept the likes of Manchester United, Chelsea and-co well at bay.

If that wasn’t enough of a surprise, then wrap this up and put it under your tree…

28-year-old, former Halifax Town striker, Jamie Vardy is the Premier League’s top scorer and has also made history after scoring in 10 consecutive Premier League games. Leicester have a lot to thank Jamie Vardy for, who has now been drafted into the England senior squad.

Meanwhile, his fellow team-mate, Riyad Mahrez is also turning heads. The Algerian midfielder has been in sensational form for the Foxes; turning goal-scorer and provider for the surprise outfit with 14 goals and 7 assists.

We’ve seen teams flit between the top 4 for a few weeks before they petered out, but not this side. Not yet. Surely they have gone past the “fluke” stage and now Leicester City can really been taken as a serious title contender.

Final Thought

As Christmas day looms, many of us will be getting the last of our wrapping and festivities done before the chaos descends on us all tomorrow.

Whilst Leicester might be the surprise package of Christmas, we must not forget the best surprise that was given to us all. The best present anyone could ever ask for. Jesus.

Luke 2 v 10, ‘But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger’.

Spare a thought and remember the true meaning of Christmas. Don’t take the ‘Christ’ out of Christmas.

Merry Christmas!

----------

Baffling.

Someone should contact the authorities.

By Ollie Baines

Final Thought

Merry Christmas!

----------

Baffling.

The first part was to entice you in  to read the 2nd part.

• Like 1

By Ollie Baines

Final Thought

Merry Christmas!

----------

Baffling.

Simple. A Leicester City mad vicar just wants to talk about City to as many people as possible and sees his sermon as the ideal opportunity to do so but realises he needs to put the religious bit in so as not to upset his regulars.

http://thecomeback.com/32flags/england/epl-england/leicester-city-wont-be-sellers-in-january-transfer-window.html?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=leicester-city-wont-be-sellers-in-january-transfer-window

Here's a good article. Maybe because Americans are quite new to football, they don't see things the same way. It's good to finally hear what most of us are thinking.

Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez — the Leicester City duo sit atop the English Premier League score charts and sit atop most big clubs wish lists heading in to the January transfer window. Easy call — sell high if you’re the Foxes.

At least that seems to be the logic, and in most years a surprising team fighting towards the top of the table would be crazy not to sell. However, this isn’t most years and Leicester City aren’t most teams.

With Boxing Day fixtures and a congested set of matches coming up, the Foxes improbably continue to sit atop of the EPL table. Currently, Leicester City pace the EPL with 38 points and are two points clear of Arsenal for the title.

More importantly, this is a side doing it with just one loss through the first 17 matches of the season — yes, just ONE loss.

That’s no accident, and a lot of it has to do with the timely scoring of Vardy and Mahrez, who have 15 and 13 goals respectively on the season.

Yet, the assumption remains that the club will be sellers come January. There’s talk of a £30 million move for Vardy by Chelsea under new boss Gus Hiddink and of Chelsea buying crazy names like Alex Teixeira, John Stones and Marquinhos too.

How could Leicester City pass up that kind of money for their in-form 28-year-0ld striker? Or so the logic goes.

Yet, that would require a suspension of the reality that Leicester City are atop of the league and haven’t fallen off that perch once there. Some in the English media still operate as if the Foxes are just some mid-tier club with a hot player or two worth cashing in on.

It also requires us to believe the season is worth giving up on and that there are other options for the club currently atop the table.

Would one apply the same logic of selling high when “there’s no chance” to a Tottenham, Manchester United or even a West Ham United? No, instead most would be encouraging moves to strengthen the squad for a run at the title and at least a Champions League place.

So, why would it be any different for Leicester City?

With the Foxes at the top of the table, shouldn’t they be looking to add to their squad and perhaps look to strengthen a defense that has given up 24 goals this season?

Wouldn’t Champions League money along with the riches of the new TV deals struck by the EPL be worth resisting temptation in January?

Besides, selling a guy like Vardy for £30 million in January could be a pitance compared to selling a Vardy that just led the Foxes to an EPL title or Champions League soccer come the summer transfer window.

Suddenly that £30 million looks more like a bargain than selling high for a player like Vardy. Put that fee together with the increased revenue streams and suddenly Leicester City has the money to be a serious squad all over the pitch, instead of one that did it with the second smallest wage bill in the EPL.

There’s also the fact that if Leicester City are going to truly hang around for a title or Champions League run they’ll need Vardy and Mahrez in the biggest way this January. Let’s not forget there are matchups with Liverpool, Manchester City and Tottenham all within the first 13 days of the new year.

How would selling Vardy or Mahrez do them any good in those top-level fixtures?

Perhaps a string of losses in those fixtures bring Leicester City back down to earth, but even then they have a nine-point lead on the last place spot in the Champions League race (Tottenham on 29 points) and are up on third place Manchester City by six points too.

Dropping those points are no guarantee they are done in the race either, given the propensity of everyone else to drop points on any given weekend too.

It all adds up to a team that likely won’t be sellers come the new year, just don’t expect the rumors to stop in the rumor-mad English press.

Many in the media and across fanbases in England continue to refuse to believe Leicester City’s run to the top of the table is a real one — and until that is put to rest, the transfer rumors of the Foxes as big sellers will persist.

8 - N'golo Kante, Leicester

The previously unsung hero of Leicester City’s table topping team has been spotted by a few people now, in the same way that it became ‘really cool’ to tell people Paul Scholes was the best midfielder in Premier League history about five years ago. Kante doesn’t play like Paul Scholes of course, but is the key to Leicester’s counter attacking plan in the midfield. He has made 24 interceptions this month, slightly less than his teammate Christian Fuchs, but has also made 25 tackles. It is his vision to break up the play in the centre of the park that puts Leicester’s rapid transitions to attack in play. You wouldn’t put him in your Fantasy Football team, but right now you’d really want him in your actual team. Especially if your team is Leicester, which is who he plays for.

Should have put Drinkwater in your list as well then

Well I've already resigned myself to facing having to watch Jordan Henderson and Michael Carrick sitting in England's midfield making 600 sideways passes a game while Danny sits at home polishing his Premier League title winner's medal. :(

I'd settle for that!

• Like 1