Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

:kingy:  :kingy:  

How the **** can they even claim to know that? The only match they've probably ever seen him play is this one, and he was incredible in it

There's a lot of comments like that from Utd fans. The best one was someone saying that he'd hate to be a Leicester fan because he'd get sick of seeing Vardy not put the effort in like he did in that match. He was clearly talking straight out of his colon and hoping no-one who knew better would see it. I read quite a few saying he was a one match wonder and he'd return to obscurity soon. Someone said he can't be that good - that was his first goal this season!

Looking forward to reading them again later in the season. I'm sure they'll be comedy gold pretty soon.

Edited by Raw Dykes

Can't knock that at all for a foreign country. Fair play.

:kingy:  :kingy:  

How the **** can they even claim to know that? The only match they've probably ever seen him play is this one, and he was incredible in it

They seem seriously determined to knock us down. Quite embarrassing really seeing as it only reflects worse on their own team.

Crowds last season- Doncaster 31k, Nottingham Forest 30k, Brighton 29k, Ipswich 28k, Blackpool,QPR both 27k, Reading, Bolton, Middlesbrough, Yeovil, Sheff Weds all 26k.

So it's not 7k out of the woodwork, because that wasn't our highest attendance of last season pal. Oh, by the way, we've had 31k a few times before Sunday when out of the Premier League (even managing 30k for a match in League One).

Like I said, he must be on a wind up.

He can't be stupid enough to not realise that Man United would not be getting 75,000 after 10 years in the Championship, or the irony that it's his club that are famous for having loads of 'glory supporters'

Although the Premier League season is only a handful of games in, talk of the bargain of the summer transfer window has already begun. In the ever-impatient world of top-flight English football, fans, punters and pundits feel it necessary to compare the performances of the new arrivals when the number of games played hasn’t even hit double figures, rather than at the, most logical, end-of-season mark.

Nevertheless, such premature speculation will always generate interest, and can even be educational. Angel di Maria and Radamel Falcao are househould names whose talent has been known for years, and whose transfer fees mean that they are excluded from any talk of bargains. What Manchester United paid for the pair is what they will get – supreme footballers for a hefty price.

Identifying the steals of the summer, on the other hand, is an informative process as the players in question are usually ones who are relatively unheard of, having earned a shot at top flight success by impressing scouts in the lower tiers of the football league or at a minor club in a foreign league. A prime candidate for this year’s gong is no exception.

After six years of mediocrity in Argentina, Leonardo Ulloa could have been forgiven for settling as a bench warmer at a mid-table club in South American football, with dreams of playing one day in Europe mere wishful thinking. The ten league goals he mustered as a striker in more than 60 appearances for a total of four teams was hardly going to attract the attention of the South American giants, let alone the big European sides. However, Ulloa always believed that his time would come, and when Spanish Segunda Division side Castellon came calling in 2008, the Argentinian grabbed his chance.

Going against the consensus that it is harder to succeed in Europe than in South America, Ulloa became a prolific goalscorer during his time in Spain. Two fruitful years at Castellon piqued the interest of Almeria, and after another three prosperous seasons on the edge of the Mediterranean Sea – the second of which saw him finish as the Pichichi, or top scorer, of the Segunda Division – a move to the equally exotic seaside town of Brighton beckoned.

Ulloa continued to defy convention in his first season in England, with his 23 league goals – including the first ever hat-trick scored at the AMEX Stadium – proving that the transition from Spanish to English football is not always a difficult one. The £8 million Leicester City paid for him in the summer was a club record, and his early performances show why he is a strong contender for bargain of the summer.

With his highly impressive aerial ability, link-up play and work rate, Ulloa has been a large factor in the Foxes’ excellent start to the season. His five league goals in five appearances means that he is second only to Diego Costa in the goalscoring chart, and with four of those strikes coming against Everton, Arsenal and Manchester United, he is clearly not one to shrink away on the big occasion.

Any newly promoted side knows that a striker who can score is key to survival in the Premier League, and although £8 million for a Championship player may initially have seemed a gamble, on the basis of his superb start Leicester City may genuinely have secured the summer’s best bargain. Indeed, the very fact that Ulloa’s journey to the Premier League has been a long and occasionally arduous one may be the reason why that now he is here, the Argentinian is thriving. A passage in Ulloa’s recent interview with the Leicester Mercury proved particularly insightful as he stated that he would not change anything that he has been through to get where he is, and that he feels “stronger for it”.

Across the Atlantic, even the press in his homeland of Argentina are beginning to take notice, with profiles of the player emerging following his brace in the 5-3 defeat of Manchester United. Such belated recognition from his compatriots is the least that Ulloa deserves after a career of hard work and determination from which he is finally getting his just rewards.

• Like 4

It is fans of a club who are used to rolling over clubs like us. They used to do it all the time for about five years between 1999 and 2004, we used to make such a big deal about playing them, telling everyone how great they were and what a privilege it was just to be playing them. It transmitted to the pitch and they often walked past us.

But, for once, we were having none of that. We showed aggression, we didn't lie down, we benefitted from a debatable couple of decisions and took advantage. We had a manager who set up to win the game and keep going when it seemed lost. Vardy's push on Rafael was probably a foul but it showed what we were about, not giving up, letting the ball go out and standing up to them.

He's a "no mark" we're bloody proud to have, we're a "pub team" we're proud to support. Keep those comments coming, you lot threw your toys out of the pram after a bad call and instead of playing like winners and world-class players, fell apart in the face of a less talented but more organised and spirited team.

You know what, we'll have a decision go against us this season. And I sure hope we deal with it better than Manchester United did.

I think what has really exacerbated it for them is that, after a year of unprecedented (in the Premier League) failure, they'd convinced themselves that they'd bounced back.

Sure, LvG had started with 2 points from a very easy first 3 games and a 4-0 beating at MK Dons in the League Cup, but after signing Falcao, di Maria and Blind at the end of the window and beating QPR 4-0 they really thought they'd cracked it.

"It's only QPR" anybody who supported anybody else other than United said. But they talked it up ("last year we'd never have scored 4 goals in that sort of game" etc.). 3-1 up after an hour against another newly promoted side who'd held Everton and Arsenal and given Chelsea a good game, di Maria has scored the goal of the season, van Persie's back on the scoresheet and Falcao's produced a great cross for RVP's goal and rattled the bar. Life is good. United are back.

But then it all went wrong. Again. Another false dawn for United to go with this season's pre-season, beating Arsenal at home last season, winning 3 or 4 on the bounce last December and so on. And this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Pride comes before a fall and unfortunately the United fans had become so engrossed in their own "rejuvenation" that this fall was the hardest yet.

Looking forward to seeing how many they ship against a confident West Ham. Their cack defence is even weaker now Evans and Smalling are injured and Blackett's suspended. I think Shaw will have to play, although he looks quite porky now, and apparently LvG doesn't rate him.

I'm sure Man Utd will score plenty of goals this season, but they'll really struggle to keep the GA figure down.

Edited by Raw Dykes

It is fans of a club who are used to rolling over clubs like us. They used to do it all the time for about five years between 1999 and 2004, we used to make such a big deal about playing them, telling everyone how great they were and what a privilege it was just to be playing them. It transmitted to the pitch and they often walked past us.

But, for once, we were having none of that. We showed aggression, we didn't lie down, we benefitted from a debatable couple of decisions and took advantage. We had a manager who set up to win the game and keep going when it seemed lost. Vardy's push on Rafael was probably a foul but it showed what we were about, not giving up, letting the ball go out and standing up to them.

He's a "no mark" we're bloody proud to have, we're a "pub team" we're proud to support. Keep those comments coming, you lot threw your toys out of the pram after a bad call and instead of playing like winners and world-class players, fell apart in the face of a less talented but more organised and spirited team.

You know what, we'll have a decision go against us this season. And I sure hope we deal with it better than Manchester United did.

That can't be too hard. Absolute losers in every sense of the word. I'm amazed at their mentality for a club who dominated this country.

I can't recall anybody ever swinging so quickly in the press from "worst transfer" to "best bargain". I mean, 5 games.

I've never seen anything like it lol sums up how knee-jerk the game is. You can guarantee if he goes five without a goal they'll barely mention a word on him too.

Ex-Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has been discussing his former club following last weekend's disappointing Premier League defeat to Leicester.

Writing in his column for The Independent, the 39-year-old said: "Last weekend showed that, for a number of our top clubs, nothing can be taken for granted." 

"Nigel Pearson set his Leicester team up to attack United. He chose three centre-forwards, which tells you that he wanted to score goals. Jamie Vardy and David Nugent covered a hell of a lot of ground that day. As a team, Leicester dealt with the influence of Daley Blind. Against Queen’s Park Rangers the previous week he had been able to dictate the game. Not this time."

"Most of all, Leicester just never gave up. At 3-1 down to United there might have been some teams who would have chucked it in. But that is less and less common in the modern Premier League. You cannot afford to coast when you have the lead. Every point is fought for right to the very end. It is what makes the league the best in the world."

The Red Devils have picked up just five points in five matches this season, despite having already faced all three newly-promoted sides - Leicester, Burnley and Queens Park Rangers. It's fair to say Louis van Gaal's side have come undone too often against lesser Premier League sides and this could be put down to complacency, as Scholes suggests.

After an impressive pre-season the players had every right to be confident. During their tour of the USA, they dismantled the likes of AS Roma, Real Madrid and Liverpool on the path to lifting the International Champions Cup. However, the club have failed to adapt to the more competitive nature of the Premier League.

"These teams are fit and strong. But they have good quality too, and they never give up," the Englishman continued. "I have been critical of teams that have fallen short this season but this time I would like to give some credit to managers. Teams have outperformed bigger clubs on much bigger budgets."

Leicester City recorded a net spend of just £10 million during the summer transfer window, compared to the £122 million of Manchester United; a clear disparity. Nonetheless, Nigel Pearson's side gave their all, reaping the rewards as they emerged with all three points. 

• Like 2

Ex-Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has been discussing his former club following last weekend's disappointing Premier League defeat to Leicester.

Writing in his column for The Independent, the 39-year-old said: "Last weekend showed that, for a number of our top clubs, nothing can be taken for granted." 

"Nigel Pearson set his Leicester team up to attack United. He chose three centre-forwards, which tells you that he wanted to score goals. Jamie Vardy and David Nugent covered a hell of a lot of ground that day. As a team, Leicester dealt with the influence of Daley Blind. Against Queen’s Park Rangers the previous week he had been able to dictate the game. Not this time."

"Most of all, Leicester just never gave up. At 3-1 down to United there might have been some teams who would have chucked it in. But that is less and less common in the modern Premier League. You cannot afford to coast when you have the lead. Every point is fought for right to the very end. It is what makes the league the best in the world."

The Red Devils have picked up just five points in five matches this season, despite having already faced all three newly-promoted sides - Leicester, Burnley and Queens Park Rangers. It's fair to say Louis van Gaal's side have come undone too often against lesser Premier League sides and this could be put down to complacency, as Scholes suggests.

After an impressive pre-season the players had every right to be confident. During their tour of the USA, they dismantled the likes of AS Roma, Real Madrid and Liverpool on the path to lifting the International Champions Cup. However, the club have failed to adapt to the more competitive nature of the Premier League.

"These teams are fit and strong. But they have good quality too, and they never give up," the Englishman continued. "I have been critical of teams that have fallen short this season but this time I would like to give some credit to managers. Teams have outperformed bigger clubs on much bigger budgets."

Leicester City recorded a net spend of just £10 million during the summer transfer window, compared to the £122 million of Manchester United; a clear disparity. Nonetheless, Nigel Pearson's side gave their all, reaping the rewards as they emerged with all three points. 

Doesn't really say a great deal, but it's fair and honest, which is nice to see. Doesn't bring up the penalty at all (nor the 'x other poor decisions against United') that pretty much every other article seems to focus on. 

Nice to see our incredible work-rate, and Nige's gameplan isn't going wholly unnoticed...

We just need to go to OT now and turn them over 2-0 and another penalty.

Also live on TV.

Then I can have a mega Kevin Keagan moment I JUST FVKING LOVE IT lol lol lol

On a side note the miserable old cvnt in my local that supports man u has complained about me.

He did not like me taking the piss was his complaint.

As I know what he is like I never said a word to him or made piss take comments.

So after asking what I had done to take the piss out of him.

Wait for it.

I cheered every time we scored lol lol lol lol

And that is a gospel true story they really need to take a look at themselves.

We just need to go to OT now and turn them over 2-0 and another penalty.

Also live on TV.

Then I can have a mega Kevin Keagan moment I JUST FVKING LOVE IT lol lol lol

On a side note the miserable old cvnt in my local that supports man u has complained about me.

He did not like me taking the piss was his complaint.

As I know what he is like I never said a word to him or made piss take comments.

So after asking what I had done to take the piss out of him.

Wait for it.

I cheered every time we scored lol lol lol lol

And that is a gospel true story they really need to take a look at themselves.

That's so pathetic lol I would double-down on the piss-taking if I were you--anybody that is that sensitive deserves all the stick one can give.

Hell, the bartender where I watch the games is the biggest Man U fan I've ever met, and he congratulated us after every Leicester goal, and bought a round of beers for the Leicester fans after full time! I guess some people have class and thick skin, and others have anything but.