Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Ex-Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes has been discussing his former club following last weekend's disappointing Premier League defeat to Leicester.

Writing in his column for The Independent, the 39-year-old said: "Last weekend showed that, for a number of our top clubs, nothing can be taken for granted." 

"Nigel Pearson set his Leicester team up to attack United. He chose three centre-forwards, which tells you that he wanted to score goals. Jamie Vardy and David Nugent covered a hell of a lot of ground that day. As a team, Leicester dealt with the influence of Daley Blind. Against Queen’s Park Rangers the previous week he had been able to dictate the game. Not this time."

"Most of all, Leicester just never gave up. At 3-1 down to United there might have been some teams who would have chucked it in. But that is less and less common in the modern Premier League. You cannot afford to coast when you have the lead. Every point is fought for right to the very end. It is what makes the league the best in the world."

The Red Devils have picked up just five points in five matches this season, despite having already faced all three newly-promoted sides - Leicester, Burnley and Queens Park Rangers. It's fair to say Louis van Gaal's side have come undone too often against lesser Premier League sides and this could be put down to complacency, as Scholes suggests.

After an impressive pre-season the players had every right to be confident. During their tour of the USA, they dismantled the likes of AS Roma, Real Madrid and Liverpool on the path to lifting the International Champions Cup. However, the club have failed to adapt to the more competitive nature of the Premier League.

"These teams are fit and strong. But they have good quality too, and they never give up," the Englishman continued. "I have been critical of teams that have fallen short this season but this time I would like to give some credit to managers. Teams have outperformed bigger clubs on much bigger budgets."

Leicester City recorded a net spend of just £10 million during the summer transfer window, compared to the £122 million of Manchester United; a clear disparity. Nonetheless, Nigel Pearson's side gave their all, reaping the rewards as they emerged with all three points. 

So what did he mean by " lesser" sides ? Does he not realise  Man united have become a " lesser" side by their total points so far against as he put it " lesser " teams. And the fact that they have no chance of finishing anywhere near the top four ?  If anyone has become a Lesser side it's them.

I think your taking pauls scholes using of the word lesser sides a little bit serious lets face it United have been the biggest English footbal team of the last 25 years. Wayne Rooneys wage bill is probably close to are entire starting squad combined they are a bigger club than us

What is going to happen to United if they dont make Champions League football this season are Players like Di Maria going? to stay to play another season with no European footbal

Edited by Freesolo

So what did he mean by " lesser" sides ? Does he not realise Man united have become a " lesser" side by their total points so far against as he put it " lesser " teams. And the fact that they have no chance of finishing anywhere near the top four ? If anyone has become a Lesser side it's them.

That was an article praising us!

The sooner Man Utd go out of existence the better. They're the plague of the footballing world. I cannot think of a worse club and fans.

There's nothing wrong with the club, and the fans that attend games imo - they know their stuff and I've had many a good conversation with these people - it's the glory hunting fans that have never been to a game that annoy me. It's those who know nothing about football, nothing outside of Manchester United, and I imagine for those that do attend even they find it annoying. It's like Chelsea and, now what seems to be growing, Manchester City.

Just watching Soccer Saturday. All they've done is ripped United for 10 mins rather than analysing our performance and praising it. Not even had a mention.

This is the biggest club in the country, of course they're going to focus on United. Don't know why this kind of thing still surprises people.

Reckon they'll talk about us in a better way when it comes to the palace game. It' was always going to about united considering they're currently previewing their game.

It's always United. You're talking about one of the biggest clubs in the World, let alone in England. I mean, look at how the media always focus on "United losing" rather than the "Leicester/Swansea victory". I don't see why people still get surprised by this.

It's always United. You're talking about one of the biggest clubs in the World, let alone in England. I mean, look at how the media always focus on "United losing" rather than the "Leicester/Swansea victory". I don't see why people still get surprised by this.

I'm not suprised, it's just slightly annoying as they condemn United as being rubbish rather than the other team being better than them on the day.

To be fair they were nice about our team when discussing us v Palace just now.