Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Again another person showing significant naivety about football finance...

Certainly Ulloa, Cambiasso and Albrighton will be on more money per week than our wage cap, probably Upson too.  So yes he could have added those players to the comparison but it wouldn't actually have done you any favours, it would have made the gulf in cost even greater.

Nobody is saying that Burnley's spending is equal to ours, some folk are just pointing out that we've hardly broke the bank compared to most teams.

Spending a little bit of money is essential to staying up. Every single club that has survived is an example of that, Hull, Swansea, West Brom etc have all spent reasonable money to form their squads. Sure it's not a God given right that spending money will keep you up, but the odds are certainly more in our favour than yours and I don't see how any Burnely fan can't see that.

We finished above you last season and took 4 points off you in the process and most people would say have done the better business over the summer also.

Not spending money in the hope that you can survive with a few extra pound notes for the future is just a small time example of Arsenal ignoring blatant flaws in their squad and hoping that they'll finish 4th again rather than attempting to gain more revenue, history and support in winning something.

Who gives a shit about what money is spent. The issue is Dyche making repeated comments on Leicester in a vain attempt to undermine our success last year and our progression this year and to make some sort of comparison between us and them. The fact that neither club get any money off Sky until the end of the season is probably in Burnleys interest as we will have spent most of next years money and they won't have done.  

Nobody is saying that Burnley's spending is equal to ours, some folk are just pointing out that we've hardly broke the bank compared to most teams.

Spending a little bit of money is essential to staying up. Every single club that has survived is an example of that, Hull, Swansea, West Brom etc have all spent reasonable money to form their squads. Sure it's not a God given right that spending money will keep you up, but the odds are certainly more in our favour than yours and I don't see how any Burnely fan can't see that.

We finished above you last season and took 4 points off you in the process and most people would say have done the better business over the summer also.

Not spending money in the hope that you can survive with a few extra pound notes for the future is just a small time example of Arsenal ignoring blatant flaws in their squad and hoping that they'll finish 4th again rather than attempting to gain more revenue, history and support in winning something.

It's fine saying we should take some risks but unfortunately we don't have rich foreign owners who could bail us out if those risks don't turn out in our favour.  

You're forgetting we were in the Premier League 5 years ago, we spent less than everyone else then (not by as much as we have this time), we got relegated and, 4 seasons on, we would have been looking at selling Ings, Trippier and Vokes and having to cut our wage bill down to the £6 million per year mark because we'd committed to wages we could only afford on parachute payments which were about to end.  Promotion 5 years ago was unexpected and unplanned for, we had no experience and didn't know what we were doing.  We've learnt from our mistakes last time and are looking to secure our future as a competitive club for multiple seasons, not just one.

We don't have the income from our support base (due to our location) to support the upper-mid Championship side that we've become accustomed to being so we have to plan for the future.  I don't hold this against our board or manager because, at the end of the day, I'd like to still have a club in the top two divisions to support in 10 years time.  Dyche has to remind the media because, as is proven repeatedly in this thread people have a real lack of understanding of football finances outside of the headline figures.

Some have said we could have decided to spend on Ulloa or Deeney and paid them £30k per week and that it'd be only a drop in the ocean compared to the riches of the Premiership... But only if you stay in the top flight.  One player can't make the difference to a team to keep them up and you'd be committing £16 million+ to one player, not to mention the premium you've now added to every other transfer you make afterwards.  How many players will make that difference?  You had Ulloa against us and only drew, so was it Cambiasso that was the difference?  So chuck another £2.5 million.  Or was it Albrighton?  Another £4 million plus.  Then you could still go down and if those players are injured or don't impress you either make a loss on the transfer or have to carry their inflated wages for the next 2-3 seasons (obviously not in the case of Cambiasso but you get my point).

You have the luxury that your owners can absorb that risk and still have a club to support at the end of it if the worst happens and you get relegated.  We don't and because of the nature of Burnley wouldn't be able to attract them even if we wanted them.  I don't hold that against you, neither does Dyche but the nature of the press is that they'll be constantly asking him about expenditure because nationally and internationally all Burnley are perceived as are the little club on shoestring budget.  Whether you like it or not you, financially, are the closest to us so for the purpose of a comparison you're the best fit and you're spending way more than we are.  It's a fact.  Who else can he draw a comparison to if not you?  QPR?

Edited by GuestAppearance

Clarets boss Sean Dyche shrugs off Nigel Pearson criticism

SEAN Dyche has shrugged off criticism that Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson aimed at his Burnley side.

The Clarets drew 2-2 at Leicester in their last match a fortnight ago and Pearson surprisingly claimed afterwards that Dyche’s side were ‘not as good as last season’, when the two clubs met in the Championship.

But Dyche yesterday resisted the opportunity to directly respond to Pearson’s comments, insisting only that he was perfectly happy with his Clarets squad.

The Burnley boss said: “To be honest I made a conscious decision when I first came into management, I don’t question the opposition, I don’t debrand managers, I don’t talk about other managers, I just talk about myself.

“If you look at my comments I very rarely mention the opposition and if I do it’s more linked back to us. I think it’s important that I take care of my own business and that’s the way I conduct myself.

“As regards us as a team, I think we’re a good side. I think we’re heading in the right direction.”

It's fine saying we should take some risks but unfortunately we don't have rich foreign owners who could bail us out if those risks don't turn out in our favour.  

You're forgetting we were in the Premier League 5 years ago, we spent less than everyone else then (not by as much as we have this time), we got relegated and, 4 seasons on, we would have been looking at selling Ings, Trippier and Vokes and having to cut our wage bill down to the £6 million per year mark because we'd committed to wages we could only afford on parachute payments which were about to end.  Promotion 5 years ago was unexpected and unplanned for, we had no experience and didn't know what we were doing.  We've learnt from our mistakes last time and are looking to secure our future as a competitive club for multiple seasons, not just one.

We don't have the income from our support base (due to our location) to support the upper-mid Championship side that we've become accustomed to being so we have to plan for the future.  I don't hold this against our board or manager because, at the end of the day, I'd like to still have a club in the top two divisions to support in 10 years time.  Dyche has to remind the media because, as is proven repeatedly in this thread people have a real lack of understanding of football finances outside of the headline figures.

Some have said we could have decided to spend on Ulloa or Deeney and paid them £30k per week and that it'd be only a drop in the ocean compared to the riches of the Premiership... But only if you stay in the top flight.  One player can't make the difference to a team to keep them up and you'd be committing £16 million+ to one player, not to mention the premium you've now added to every other transfer you make afterwards.  How many players will make that difference?  You had Ulloa against us and only drew, so was it Cambiasso that was the difference?  So chuck another £2.5 million.  Or was it Albrighton?  Another £4 million plus.  Then you could still go down and if those players are injured or don't impress you either make a loss on the transfer or have to carry their inflated wages for the next 2-3 seasons (obviously not in the case of Cambiasso but you get my point).

You have the luxury that your owners can absorb that risk and still have a club to support at the end of it if the worst happens and you get relegated.  We don't and because of the nature of Burnley wouldn't be able to attract them even if we wanted them.  I don't hold that against you, neither does Dyche but the nature of the press is that they'll be constantly asking him about expenditure because nationally and internationally all Burnley are perceived as are the little club on shoestring budget.  Whether you like it or not you, financially, are the closest to us so for the purpose of a comparison you're the best fit and you're spending way more than we are.  It's a fact.  Who else can he draw a comparison to if not you?  QPR?

You are as boring as your fvcking manager now.

If you are going to come on here and quote shite get it fvcking right FFS.

Of the 3 players you have mentioned we only paid for one the others were FREE FFS

SEAN Dyche has shrugged off criticism that Leicester City boss Nigel Pearson aimed at his Burnley side.

The Clarets drew 2-2 at Leicester in their last match a fortnight ago and Pearson surprisingly claimed afterwards that Dyche’s side were ‘not as good as last season’, when the two clubs met in the Championship.

But Dyche yesterday resisted the opportunity to directly respond to Pearson’s comments, insisting only that he was perfectly happy with his Clarets squad.

The Burnley boss said: “To be honest I made a conscious decision when I first came into management, I don’t question the opposition, I don’t debrand managers, I don’t talk about other managers, I just talk about myself.

“If you look at my comments I very rarely mention the opposition and if I do it’s more linked back to us. I think it’s important that I take care of my own business and that’s the way I conduct myself.

“As regards us as a team, I think we’re a good side. I think we’re heading in the right direction.”

Annnnnddddddd

Foxestalk explodes. Again.

Of the 3 players you have mentioned we only paid for one the others were FREE FFS

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd my point about people lacking an understanding of football finance outside of the headline figures is proven.  Thanks!

Cambiasso - Free Transfer - Signing/Loyalty Bonus ? Appearance Fee ? Weekly Wage - £42,000*

Estimated Cost - £2.5+ million for one season

Albrighton - Free Transfer - Signing/Loyalty Bonus ? Appearance Fee ? - Weekly Wage - £30,000

Estimated Cost - £6.2+ million

He's including wages in there, as was rumoured the deal for Cambiasso will cost us £2.5 million, Albrighton was signed on a 4 year contract, on wages of around £30k, which is £4m+ not sure where the £16m on one player comes from, maybe what Deeney would have cost them, £10m + wages.

Nothing is free in football.

To be fair he only mentions us in relation to how much richer we are than his club, many many pound notes richer...

"Que sera sera", said the eloquent Dyche. "Nous ne pouvons pas rivaliser avec les autres clubs si nous obtenons de l'avant".

I can't prove it but that was the amount that was reported, it won't be majorly wide of the mark.

yeah thought not. 

i read a "report" last week that said our highest earner was kasper on £30k. but it was a report so i didn't know whether to believe it cos it may contain absolutely zero truth but i'm going to challenge your report with my report so there 

yeah thought not. 

i read a "report" last week that said our highest earner was kasper on £30k. but it was a report so i didn't know whether to believe it cos it may contain absolutely zero truth but i'm going to challenge your report with my report so there 

Just out of interest what would you consider proof?  A copy of his paycheck?  If that's how it works how about you prove to me he isn't getting paid £60,000...

Oh wait you can't produce his paycheck?  Oh then I must be right!

Also, show me this Kasper as highest earner on £30k report whilst you're at it.

Just out of interest what would you consider proof?  A copy of his paycheck?  If that's how it works how about you prove to me he isn't getting paid £60,000...

Oh wait you can't produce his paycheck?  Oh then I must be right!

Also, show me this Kasper as highest earner on £30k report whilst you're at it.

http://www.squawka.com/news/premier-league-top-earners-by-club/194272

don't understand the point of the rest of your post so just going to ignore and hope you go away soon 

http://www.squawka.com/news/premier-league-top-earners-by-club/194272

don't understand the point of the rest of your post so just going to ignore and hope you go away soon 

Well Ings isn't our highest paid player so that's nonsense.  And Kasper's wage I'm guessing is taken from the below article which...

...was written in April...  When was Cambiasso signed?

yeah so you're proving my point. the article i read, as i said, was probably wrong. yet the article you read was so correct you joined a different teams forum and are trying to lecture us on how much more you know about our club based on that one, probably wrong, article? nobody knows how much any of our players get paid. more than most burnley players? probably. less than the average premier league wage? definitely. enough to keep us competitive but not too much to put us in the shit like qpr? exactly.