Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

• 4 weeks later...

Taken from this blog (and tweeted by Jason Bourne)

https://blog.betway.com/football/premier-league/tottenham-v-leicester-spurs-should-feast-on-the-foxes-going-down-with-a-whimper/

"Nigel Pearson's team put a complacent Tottenham out of the FA Cup back in January. In the league, however, the Foxes perform the way that their manager does in press conferences. Lots of smoke but no real fire.

Last Saturday's goalless draw at home to Hull was Leicester's first clean sheet in nine matches stretching back to January 10.

The Midlands club are now seven games without a win and have managed just a mere four goals in their last six league outings.

Basically Pearson is taking them down with a whimper. He is fond of those dramatic pauses ahead (or in the middle) of sentences that are built up to sound profound but turn out to be bog-standard cliches.

And the players would appear to have switched off.

Tim Sherwood's Aston Villa reflect his character. They are finally playing with a bit of attitude and edge. They puff out their chests and are once again starting to walk it like they talk it.  

Aston Villa under the mild-mannered Paul Lambert were the opposite. Timid. Bereft of confidence. Afraid to express themselves in case a mistake led to a goal and so fearful of losing that they often took to the field unsure of what they were actually there to do.

Pearson's Leicester are also a mirror image of his character. Foot on the ball. Forever. Thinking it through. Forever. Ponderous, predictable.

Refusing to panic but actually fiddling while Rome burns.

Not good enough defensively but not enough goals in attack either. Under Pearson that is.

The biggest indictment of the Foxes boss is that his squad would probably have a fighting chance under someone else.

In the 2012/13 season, Southampton's first back in the Premier League, they looked relegation fodder under Nigel Adkins. The then Executive Chairman, Nicola Cortese, sacked him with the club three points above the drop zone.

Amid the chorus of disapproval there were cries of "What does Cortese expect??". People actually wanted the Saints to accept their fate and stick with a man who was taking them back down.

Under Pochettino, Adkins' replacement, Southampton finished 14th. With wins over Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea along the way.  It can be done. 

Koeman has taken the sum of the parts to another level when many believed the Saints would plunge back into the outer darkness following the exodus of their top players. It can be done.

When Ian Holloway reached his vertical limit at Crystal Palace several other bosses turned down the chance to take over on the basis that the squad was supposedly not good enough.

Tony Pulis came in and turned Selhurst Park into one of the toughest places to go in the top flight. It can be done.

Palace eventually finished 11th - twelve points clear of the relegation zone and just five points off the top half of the table. 

Some managers are made for the top flight and some will always find - their egos inflated by success in the Championship - their limitations ruthlessly exposed in the top division.

Leicester's performance - and that of Pearson whose conduct towards a member of the media last weekend was appalling - suggests they have in charge someone whose limitations have been exposed.

Tottenham should expose them further this weekend."

Edited by fleckneymike

Clearly a media hack job supporting his mate who was ripped into by Pearson on Saturday. I guess it serves Pearson right though, need to get the media on your side in times like this.

Although it's not true at all, Villa were a team who have played every season in the Prem and should be nowhere near the drop zone. We are a team who are getting relegated because we lack the quality at this level. Incomparable situation.

Basically Leicester aren't very good - we know that.

Pearson likes to pause and think about what he says - we also know this.

Tottenham will beat Leicester on Saturday - most people have a similar opinion.

Doesn't really tell you much.

How depressing. Have to say I'm actually ashamed I support Leicester.

That saddens me more than anything else I have ever seen in the Football forums on FT.  :( I have never been ashamed of supporting Leicester City and never will, even if we end up in the Conference.

However your comment says a lot about the way the Club is currently managed on and off the pitch.  :(

Clearly a media hack job supporting his mate who was ripped into by Pearson on Saturday. I guess it serves Pearson right though, need to get the media on your side in times like this.

Although it's not true at all, Villa were a team who have played every season in the Prem and should be nowhere near the drop zone. We are a team who are getting relegated because we lack the quality at this level. Incomparable situation.

"Clearly a media hack" are you sure? 

It doesn't matter if they are an established premiership club, its irrelevant. Do you really think Burnley have any more quality than we do? They are in a great position to stay up because they play grit and determination. 

We are a team who are getting relegated because we lack the quality at this level. Incomparable situation.

I don't believe that for a minute. Our squad is the best in the bottom six IMO or at the very least second to none.

The article is right though we are going down with a whimper. 

We can't sack Pearson though as he is the only man on Earth who could get us promoted from the Championship. He's done it before you know.  :rolleyes:

Damning article but a fair reflection. This 5-3-2, 3-5-2, 5-4-1 or whatever you want to call it is the f**king pits. Pearson needs to pull his head out of the sand and go at teams with the same intensity as we had within the first 5 games of the season. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't say a hack job but it's written by a journalist who has spent written about Spurs for years upon years. Therefore he's bound to write a pre-match piece which is leaning that way. Some of it is very correct. Whilst other bits border someone upset that their mate got a telling off.