Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Yet he did play games and was then dropped.

He disappeared off the bench after 'the sacking' which seemed strange.

Does it not make more sense that this was because he played Premier League football and then was completely ****ed and needed time to recover, because his natural fitness wasn't high enough?

You'll notice in the run-in his fitness, his ability to press and last 90 minutes and play 3 games a week, is suddenly right up there with anyone else in the squad? Whereas before he was playing an hour or so.

What I don't understand about the anti-Pearson brigade is the absolute venom with which they berate him, you might not think he's up to the job or you might think he's out of his depth but there's no need for the vitriol for a manager who has been very successful for us.

Another thing that grates on the 'Pearsonites' is how quickly he gets written off when he's proven that he usually learns in the end albeit slowly. There's usually a clamour for an unrealistic or worse/similar target which is frustrating too.

Pearson is by no means perfect and sometimes the Pearsonites' (myself included) are perhaps too rash to defend him almost unconditionally but there's a frustration borne out of people that are completely irrational, people with 39 posts with all of them criticising Pearson that disappear when things are going well and people that are desperate to be proved right about him being a clown.

There's not a Pearson in clique or whatever but 90% of Pearson out posts are based on myths, vitriol, raging pessimism or just a dislike of the man, so Pearsonites get fed up with repetitive drivel; that gets 'shutdown' whilst well reasoned arguments are welcome but it's the scarcity of them which makes the in/out debates so mind-numbing.

Couldn't have put it better myself. +1

The likes of Bassett, Levein, Kelly, Holloway, Sousa just weren't very good, for whatever reason. Sven wasn't around long enough to form a staunch opinion one way or the other. Adams had credit for getting the team promoted but the amount of points lost, style of football and ridiculous recruitment policy of signing mainly over-35s lost him some goodwill after that. O'Neill is almost universally loved, Taylor pretty much loathed.

Pearson is an interesting case. The supporters will point to getting two promotions, two play offs and a survival in the Premier League in five full seasons, the entertaining football that has been served and the fact he's been so much better than the four or so predecessors and the two in between his spells in charge. 

The detractors will point to his often naive tactics, his manner with the press, issues with supporters, the more negative football we've played, also the fact he is better in recent years than a lot of rubbish and we probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. We have had some appalling runs of form at points in seasons too.

Taking out the extreme views on either side, I think most will appreciate that, on balance, he's been good for the club. He took over a mess seven years ago and were he to leave next week we are far healthier on and off the pitch. He's not Bloomfield, O'Neill or Gillies' level but in the next group of Wallace and Milne among others.

I'd say it's more than 'on balance' that he's been good for us.  I could maybe understand putting it that way if we'd just been relegated, but you're saying this on the back of yet another stride forwards for City under Pearson.

Otherwise a pretty good summary of the situation, though you forgot to point out boringly wrong the detractors are.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

If you think we're "lucky" then I cannot agree. A season is played over 38 games, not 5 or 6. 

I think the bad run we had (between October and December in particular) was due to Pearson constantly changing tactics and selections. I really think the late Burnley equaliser was a turning point and he didn't know what his best 11 was, and he kept changing for the opposition. But what about the good run in? What does that show you? What does that tell you about Pearson? When we actually attack teams, we look good.

Of course I'd still be supporting him if we'd have gone down. You rekon Burnley fans have all turned on Dyche? I see past results and I understand how much Pearson has helped the club off the field. He said himself post Sunderland that the club is in a good position. It's all down to him that.

As I've said before, being 22 I haven't seen much of the good times. I started going regular in 2002 so, as you can surely see, I haven't seen the club have much success. I appreciate and respect Nigel because he has provided us with so much success and hopefully it doesn't stop here. I'd love to see him win a domestic trophy here.

great post mate

• Like 1

Pearson is only the third manager since 1977, along with Milne and O'Neill, not to be involved in a relegation season from the top flight. And there are some popular managers in there including Wallace and Little.

Those two plus McLintock, Hamilton, McGhee, Taylor, Bassett and Adams all had a relegation at least partly to their name, often only being at the club for one season.

It won't mean he'll get a statue or an award for it but recent history favours a relegation for a Leicester City top flight manager and Pearson has avoided joining that list so far.

What relegation was he part of?

Infact the foundations he left MON took us up on.

Richard "Banter" Keys...

"It's one of the more tedious stats that gets dragged up every Xmas - 'and, of course, only one team has ever survived after being bottom on Boxing Day'. Well we won't hear it anymore, thank goodness!

What will we hear is this 'and, of course, only two teams have ever survived having been bottom at Xmas'! Make a note if you're a BeIN Sports watcher because you won't hear it from me!

Those two teams are West Brom and Leicester. But what else have they got in common? I'll let you think about that and come back to it in just a moment.

The Baggies' escape was a bit special and wholly unexpected. I remember sitting at Fulham's Craven Cottage watching Norwich getting battered as the drama unfolded at The Hawthorns. We made a bad decision at Sky that day!

I've watched Coventry pull off some dramatic escapes down the years. Some were with scrupulous honesty, others were fortunate and once or twice they left a sour taste in the mouth. Sunderland fans especially will know what I'm talking about! Mind you, when relegation did finally come - and it was a Derby win AT Manchester United that sent us down - there was a story I heard many years later accompanying that game that would blow your mind. That's not for now!

There was our final day win AT Spurs. We started the day in the bottom 3 and got out. Sunderland failed at Wimbledon and Middlesbrough (or should that be 'borough!!) at Leeds.

After the game at Elland Road, our reporter Nick Collins (a really good guy by the way) asked the 'Boro captain how he felt. This was the reply '****ing hell Nick. How the hell do you think I feel?'. Brilliant!! It caused a bit of panic on the day but it largely went un- noticed! That captain? Nigel Pearson. Straight talking and honest, Nigel Pearson. Nothing has changed him down the years.

He's been a breath of fresh air in the P Lge this past season. And, in my opinion, he's pulled off the greatest escape of all time. Leicester were buried at Xmas. In total they spent 140 days bottom - a new P Lge record, but that extra-ordinary run at the end of the season not only got them out, it got them out with a game to spare.

Now, if I was Pearson, I'd get out. Why? Because inevitably it'll go wrong and those who've had their knives out all season will eventually get him.

There's been a lot going on behind the scenes at Leicester that Pearson has had to deal with. It's true that he lost his job at one stage. Those that engineered that situation should hang their heads in shame. They know who they are, but they won't go away and eventually they'll get him. That's why I'd go now if I was Pearson - of my own accord and with my head up. It's a very good feeling, I know!

He's is an honest man. That makes him special in football. He has integrity and belief. He's also got a very good track record in management. He'd get another job, no problem at all.

That brings me to the question I posed earlier. Did you get it? What else do West Brom and Leicester have in common? The answer is Pearson! He was Bryan Robson's assistant at The Hawthorns when they pulled off their 'great escape'.

He also kept Southampton up after a dramatic last day finish - and spectacularly kept Carlisle in the league after encouraging goalkeeper Jimmy Glass to go up for a late corner. The keeper scored - remember? Dramatic stuff.

Pearson is a very good example of a coach that has successfully made the transition to management. I don't believe there are No1's and No 2's. There's no reason at all why a good No 2 can't make the step up - none at all. But it has to be a 'good' No 2. Those that fail generally aren't good' enough.

Pearson is my Manager of the Season, but I know Mourinho will win it. I wouldn't argue with that decision. All I would add is that my belief is that the top guys SHOULD succeed given the money and the opportunity they have to work with the best players. Could Mourinho do what Pearson has done? Could Nigel do what Mourinho has? I believe he could and I hope he gets the chance. Where? Well somewhere like Liverpool perhaps?  Why not?

Again, it won't happen, but I'm interested to hear that Brendan Rodgers' position isn't so solid after all. He's got a lot of explaining to do come the end of the season.

Ballotelli? Disaster. What on earth made him think he'd succeed there? We're talking about a player Mourinho called 'un-manageable'.

And do you remember what he said about Spurs' £100m+ spending? Let me remind you -'any team spending that amount of money should be challenging for the title'. I agree. So why weren't Liverpool?

I don't think any harm will come to Rodgers right now and nor should it after the season Liverpool had last time out. But it could get interesting if the Raheem Sterling battle gets personal and it comes down to one staying and the other going.

Another one we've been talking about here for months - De Gea to Real Madrid, is edging ever closer. What Utd can get out of Madrid is going to be fascinating. I still don't rule out Bale being part of the deal. Utd have certainly been asking.

I don't see Kane to Old Trafford as a starter, although I'm fully aware that Utd have floated this prospect. It's an example of what I was talking about previously in these blogs - put it out there and see what happens!

Oh - and another one to keep an eye on - YaYa to Inter. If Mancini can pull this off he will. And if he does Inter will go very close to the Serie A title next season. It's that challenge - and not so much the money - that I believe will appeal to the big man. He wants to go down as one of the 'greats'. And Italian cakes are lovely!!"

• Like 1

Richard "Banter" Keys...

"It's one of the more tedious stats that gets dragged up every Xmas - 'and, of course, only one team has ever survived after being bottom on Boxing Day'. Well we won't hear it anymore, thank goodness!

What will we hear is this 'and, of course, only two teams have ever survived having been bottom at Xmas'! Make a note if you're a BeIN Sports watcher because you won't hear it from me!

Those two teams are West Brom and Leicester. But what else have they got in common? I'll let you think about that and come back to it in just a moment.

The Baggies' escape was a bit special and wholly unexpected. I remember sitting at Fulham's Craven Cottage watching Norwich getting battered as the drama unfolded at The Hawthorns. We made a bad decision at Sky that day!

I've watched Coventry pull off some dramatic escapes down the years. Some were with scrupulous honesty, others were fortunate and once or twice they left a sour taste in the mouth. Sunderland fans especially will know what I'm talking about! Mind you, when relegation did finally come - and it was a Derby win AT Manchester United that sent us down - there was a story I heard many years later accompanying that game that would blow your mind. That's not for now!

There was our final day win AT Spurs. We started the day in the bottom 3 and got out. Sunderland failed at Wimbledon and Middlesbrough (or should that be 'borough!!) at Leeds.

After the game at Elland Road, our reporter Nick Collins (a really good guy by the way) asked the 'Boro captain how he felt. This was the reply '****ing hell Nick. How the hell do you think I feel?'. Brilliant!! It caused a bit of panic on the day but it largely went un- noticed! That captain? Nigel Pearson. Straight talking and honest, Nigel Pearson. Nothing has changed him down the years.

He's been a breath of fresh air in the P Lge this past season. And, in my opinion, he's pulled off the greatest escape of all time. Leicester were buried at Xmas. In total they spent 140 days bottom - a new P Lge record, but that extra-ordinary run at the end of the season not only got them out, it got them out with a game to spare.

Now, if I was Pearson, I'd get out. Why? Because inevitably it'll go wrong and those who've had their knives out all season will eventually get him.

There's been a lot going on behind the scenes at Leicester that Pearson has had to deal with. It's true that he lost his job at one stage. Those that engineered that situation should hang their heads in shame. They know who they are, but they won't go away and eventually they'll get him. That's why I'd go now if I was Pearson - of my own accord and with my head up. It's a very good feeling, I know!

He's is an honest man. That makes him special in football. He has integrity and belief. He's also got a very good track record in management. He'd get another job, no problem at all.

That brings me to the question I posed earlier. Did you get it? What else do West Brom and Leicester have in common? The answer is Pearson! He was Bryan Robson's assistant at The Hawthorns when they pulled off their 'great escape'.

He also kept Southampton up after a dramatic last day finish - and spectacularly kept Carlisle in the league after encouraging goalkeeper Jimmy Glass to go up for a late corner. The keeper scored - remember? Dramatic stuff.

Pearson is a very good example of a coach that has successfully made the transition to management. I don't believe there are No1's and No 2's. There's no reason at all why a good No 2 can't make the step up - none at all. But it has to be a 'good' No 2. Those that fail generally aren't good' enough.

Pearson is my Manager of the Season, but I know Mourinho will win it. I wouldn't argue with that decision. All I would add is that my belief is that the top guys SHOULD succeed given the money and the opportunity they have to work with the best players. Could Mourinho do what Pearson has done? Could Nigel do what Mourinho has? I believe he could and I hope he gets the chance. Where? Well somewhere like Liverpool perhaps? Why not?

Again, it won't happen, but I'm interested to hear that Brendan Rodgers' position isn't so solid after all. He's got a lot of explaining to do come the end of the season.

Ballotelli? Disaster. What on earth made him think he'd succeed there? We're talking about a player Mourinho called 'un-manageable'.

And do you remember what he said about Spurs' £100m+ spending? Let me remind you -'any team spending that amount of money should be challenging for the title'. I agree. So why weren't Liverpool?

I don't think any harm will come to Rodgers right now and nor should it after the season Liverpool had last time out. But it could get interesting if the Raheem Sterling battle gets personal and it comes down to one staying and the other going.

Another one we've been talking about here for months - De Gea to Real Madrid, is edging ever closer. What Utd can get out of Madrid is going to be fascinating. I still don't rule out Bale being part of the deal. Utd have certainly been asking.

I don't see Kane to Old Trafford as a starter, although I'm fully aware that Utd have floated this prospect. It's an example of what I was talking about previously in these blogs - put it out there and see what happens!

Oh - and another one to keep an eye on - YaYa to Inter. If Mancini can pull this off he will. And if he does Inter will go very close to the Serie A title next season. It's that challenge - and not so much the money - that I believe will appeal to the big man. He wants to go down as one of the 'greats'. And Italian cakes are lovely!!"

Which begs 2 questions

What is the story about the diagonals relegation?

Who engineered NFP's sacking?

Which begs 2 questions

What is the story about the diagonals relegation?

Who engineered NFP's sacking?

Bid of an odd one, if someone with clout wanted him gone then he'd be gone, been plenty enough excuses this year to make a change if they wanted to. Is he talking press manipulation? Not sure that's reason for someone to walk out of the job so probably not. Robinson was gone before the "sacking" incident so nothing in that.

Could be Keys putting 1 and 1 together and coming up with 7 .

Bid of an odd one, if someone with clout wanted him gone then he'd be gone, been plenty enough excuses this year to make a change if they wanted to. Is he talking press manipulation? Not sure that's reason for someone to walk out of the job so probably not. Robinson was gone before the "sacking" incident so nothing in that.

Could be Keys putting 1 and 1 together and coming up with 7 .

Probably keys and his adding up.

How many people with clout are there in the club?

The owners

Susan Wheelan

NFP's back room boys?

Birchenall?

The owners

Susan Wheelan

NFP's back room boys?

Birchenall?

birch - clout?  sorry but no. i presume it was a bit of satire from you.

if my understanding is right, top was here and vichai in thailand with susan w.  the still pictures of the macarthur incident were damning. im not surprised vicahi thought enough was enough. its easy to make a decison like that from so far away. Top was here and picked up the vibes that no one would take the team for tuesdays arsenal fixture. and there was no one else out there who he could appoint. he would have received advice about that.  Top ended up makign a great decision. in retrospect. whether there is still fall out from that day to come, we will no doubt find out over the next few weeks

The owners

Susan Wheelan

NFP's back room boys?

Birchenall?

I suppose the real clout is the different family members, there is more than just Top and Vichai. Perhaps there are one or two that don't get one with him.

Just found a list of ownership on the website...

"The ultimate beneficial individual owners of Leicester City Football Club are as follows:

Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha 51%
Aimon Srivaddhanaprabha 9%
Voromas Srivaddhanaprabha 10%
Apichet Srivaddhanaprabha 10%
Aiyawatt Srivaddhanaprabha 10%
Aroonrong Srivaddhanaprabha 10%"

Anyway... I'm sure it's all plop.

At least it puts an end to the call to sing

There's only one Srivaddhanaprabha.

Although it could be changed to...

There's only six Srivaddhanaprabha

(that we know of)

• Like 1

birch - clout? sorry but no. i presume it was a bit of satire from you.

if my understanding is right, top was here and vichai in thailand with susan w. the still pictures of the macarthur incident were damning. im not surprised vicahi thought enough was enough. its easy to make a decison like that from so far away. Top was here and picked up the vibes that no one would take the team for tuesdays arsenal fixture. and there was no one else out there who he could appoint. he would have received advice about that. Top ended up makign a great decision. in retrospect. whether there is still fall out from that day to come, we will no doubt find out over the next few weeks

Partly tongue in cheek about the Birch but who did they yak advice from when they binned Sven?

Don't think Whelan was there and she would have no idea anyway.

There were rumours that they asked Birch and he said NFP.

Guest ttfn

Keys is just trying to make himself seem relevant with this talk of "people wanting him gone".

He's got absolutely no idea what's going on in the boardroom. Probably the most egotistical knobhead in an industry of egotistical knobheads.