Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Well, if we use 10 as Brazil did I think we'd have..

Wembley, Old Trafford, Anfield, St James Park, Stadium of Light, Hillsbrough, Villa Park, Emirates, Etihad and Goodison.

Didn't know you can't have more than two from the same city.

I don't know if you can't or whether countries just choose not to - whether they choose to spread it out or whether they can't have more than two. Still, the emirates would be a shoo-in for it, particularly with its history of holding internationals (mostly Brazil for some reason).

I don't know if you can't or whether countries just choose not to - whether they choose to spread it out or whether they can't have more than two. Still, the emirates would be a shoo-in for it, particularly with its history of holding internationals (mostly Brazil for some reason).

Brazil choose to play all (or close to all)of their friendlies there to avoid straining relationships with their player's clubs- who are mostly based in Europe- by dragging them halfway across the world for a friendly.

We'd put that forward as part of our original bid though, like the RFU have with Wembley, and I have no issue with that. They put Welford Road in the bid and didn't finish building it so had to go begging to Leicester City. IIRC Tigers started redeveloping Welford Road because they were told they'd be hosting World Cup games, and now they're not. Shambolic.

Nothing to do with the redeveloping the stadium,the reason Tigers didn't get World Cup games was because the pitch is to small.

A survey of rugby players in 2006 by Loughborough University found that 89% took up rugby because they couldn't get into their school football team.

Rugby? A waste of a football pitch.

Get rugby out of our stadium, let them play on Vicki Park.

• Like 2

On the Qpr forum w r the rangers boys,somebody has started a thread ,3 to go down next season.

He starts off with Leicester,and says they won't get lucky again,wtf... Sounds like sour grapes

If I were them I would be more concerned on staying in the championship than worrying about  premier league giants like us..

http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/showthread.php?187953-Beckford-free-agent&s=c53e341fb16a8474fca5600cc8079a64

ha ha ... you couldn't make the fooker up! 

Edited by johnny the fox

It's a joke that the King Power Stadium is hosting Rugby World Cup games rather than Welford Road.

It also doesn't help that the organisers have provided the poorest ties in the competition to one of the country's biggest rugby areas. Fecks.

Edited by Bamba's Babes

The way Leicester has been treated by Rugby for this World Cup seems rather spiteful. I agree with Cockerill that your average rugby fan as well as visiting overseas fan will have no idea who or where we are. To then give us the fixtures they have at the prices they have is outrageous.

What a way to reward the biggest club in Britain for investing in their own infrastructure by handing a tournament to us lot who quite frankly couldn't give a tinkers toss.

Why would he go out of his way to upset us? In the Rugby world Cockerill is right, Tigers are a massive club in rugby and MAY have attracted more to Welford road rather than the King Power, but I think not with those games.

God some people get seriously touchy every time anyone to do with rugby opens their mouth.

He's obviously deflecting a bit from the ridiculous pricing, nobody wants to pay the prices they're charging to watch cack games.

But his actual statement is fair. The average Stormers or Canes fan would be far more likely to know where Leicester Tigers play than have an interest in the KP. Just the same as the average Leicester fan doesn't have a clue who the Stormers or Canes are.

Unbunch your panties ferchrisakes.

• Like 1

That sums up all that's wrong with rugby then if one of the biggest clubs in the world hasn't got a proper sized pitch lol

Nothing wrong with rugby, there's quite a divide in how the game is played northern hemisphere/ southern hemisphere. South have wider pitches as they encourage running rugby, north not so wide, so for the world cup they have to find middle ground, which just so happens to be the KP. let's also not forget welford road is build dead center of many busy junctions, not much room to expand Edited by joedawg

God some people get seriously touchy every time anyone to do with rugby opens their mouth.

He's obviously deflecting a bit from the ridiculous pricing, nobody wants to pay the prices they're charging to watch cack games.

But his actual statement is fair. The average Stormers or Canes fan would be far more likely to know where Leicester Tigers play than have an interest in the KP. Just the same as the average Leicester fan doesn't have a clue who the Stormers or Canes are.

But that's not the point.

I doubt that anyone in the world that is interested in the RWC would choose to not go purely because the game in Leicester is played at the KP over Welford Road. (there's a better was of wording that but i'm too hungover)

Just seems weirdly bitter.

That's like saying football fans wouldn't watch a World Cup in Manchester because it was being played at a rugby ground and not Old Trafford. They'll have still heard of Manchester, same as the rugby fans will have still heard of Leicester because of the Tigers. If they can't work out the Leicester City Stadium is in the same city as Leicester Tigers, they don't deserve to enjoy the rugby World Cup.

That's like saying football fans wouldn't watch a World Cup in Manchester because it was being played at a rugby ground and not Old Trafford. They'll have still heard of Manchester, same as the rugby fans will have still heard of Leicester because of the Tigers. If they can't work out the Leicester City Stadium is in the same city as Leicester Tigers, they don't deserve to enjoy the rugby World Cup.

I think the point is that if you say 'Old Trafford' to someone the vast majority of people will associate that ground with United and Manchester.

Say King Power and anyone who isn't a football fan might struggle.

Plus, without wishing to sound too disparaging, this is rugby. It is a minority sport, Leicester is somewhat of a hotbed for rugby support yet I imagine most Tigers fans would struggle to name many players from the countries we are hosting let alone the casual fan who might watch the odd six nations tie.

Hosting Canada, Argentina, Romania, Namibia and Tonga is the footballing equivalent of hosting Canada, Ukraine, Estonia, The Turks and Caicos Islands and Zaire, being asked to fork out up to £150 for the privalege is a piss take.

The ticket pricing, the teams playing, the fact that most of us aren't interested is totally unimportant to us or the owners. The club are making money out of it which can only be a good thing. What's the problem?

I think the point is that if you say 'Old Trafford' to someone the vast majority of people will associate that ground with United and Manchester.

Say King Power and anyone who isn't a football fan might struggle.

Plus, without wishing to sound too disparaging, this is rugby. It is a minority sport, Leicester is somewhat of a hotbed for rugby support yet I imagine most Tigers fans would struggle to name many players from the countries we are hosting let alone the casual fan who might watch the odd six nations tie.

Hosting Canada, Argentina, Romania, Namibia and Tonga is the footballing equivalent of hosting Canada, Ukraine, Estonia, The Turks and Caicos Islands and Zaire, being asked to fork out up to £150 for the privalege is a piss take.

It won't be called king power it'll  be something like the Leicester Stadium or the City of Leicester Stadium as all KP stuff will have to be hidden or removed like the did for covs ground at the Olympics. 

It won't be called king power it'll  be something like the Leicester Stadium or the City of Leicester Stadium as all KP stuff will have to be hidden or removed like the did for covs ground at the Olympics. 

We're listed as Leicester City Stadium which I agree is a failry big clue as to where it is.

Still £15 tickets available which speaks volumes for the appeal of Tonga V Namibia. Quite why we didn't get a single six nations side here (something as bland as Italy or Scotland) is odd.

Argentina are better than either of those two teams.

The bottom line is that World Rugby made a financial loss on the last World Cup in New Zealand (with Japan next). They see England as a banker and part of this means getting as many tickets on sale as possible. Hence football ground with bigger capacities and more corporate facilities rather than smaller Rugby grounds.

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Argentina are better than either of those two teams.

The bottom line is that World Rugby made a financial loss on the last World Cup in New Zealand (with Japan next). They see England as a banker and part of this means getting as many tickets on sale as possible. Hence football ground with bigger capacities and more corporate facilities rather than smaller Rugby grounds.

They are indeed better but there isn't a huge local community nor is Leicester easily accessible from Argentina. From a sales point of view you want bums on seats, Scots will travel and local Scots will attend, likewise the Italians. Argentinians? We might be struggling. You average fan knows little about the respective quality of sides, they just 'know' certain sides.