Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Claudio Ranieri seemed doomed at Leicester City, but look at him now

At the risk of understatement, very few people expected Claudio Ranieri's new club Leicester City to find themselves 10 places and eight points above his old club Chelsea at this stage of the season. Indeed, many of us (sigh) predicted that not only would Ranieri struggle at the King Power Stadium, but that Leicester would be relegated. But far from feeling the need to gloat at his doubters, Ranieri would probably be highly amused.

"I don't think gloating would even cross his mind," said Tor-Kristian Karlsen, the former sporting director and CEO of AS Monaco who, in 2012, appointed Ranieri as manager of the club. "He gets on with his job and doesn't worry about what other people may say or think.

"When I first called him in 2012 to ask whether he'd be interested in a chat about the Monaco job, he was at the Champions League final as the guest of Chelsea. When we met a few days later it was clear that he took great delight in their victory and always talked about his time there with great affection. Bitterness or vindication is not something he bothers with."

It is this sort of humility and easy charm that has always made Ranieri popular in England. When he first arrived at Chelsea in 2000, he barely spoke a word of English. Chelsea, for these were simpler times, felt that the basic Italian spoken by a steward would be enough to traverse the tricky issue of a post-match TV interview. So it was that the British public's first encounter of Ranieri was the sight of him unloading long and complicated Italian sentences only for a flustered Gary Staker, now player liaison officer at Chelsea, to shrug and tell us that, "it was a game of two halves."

In the latter days of his reign, when it was clear that new owner Roman Abramovich planned to replace him, Ranieri would be taunted relentlessly by opposing fans. Then allocated seating behind the dug-out, one of the first things Jose Mourinho ordered to be changed when he arrived in 2004, the away supporters would gleefully sing, "You're getting sacked in the morning!"

"No!" he once responded with a beaming grin. "I am getting sacked in the summer!" And so he was.

Yet those who have worked with him are quick to assert that Ranieri is not some clown prince of European football, using humour to hide his deficiencies. "He's no soft touch," said Karlsen. "He can certainly be assertive as well, but I always saw him as fair in his dealings with the players.

"I very much enjoyed working with him," Karlsen added. "Not just because of his positivity and contagious enthusiasm, but also because he appreciates the complexities of running a football club. During the time I worked with him, he was always very supportive and was always at hand to offer advice."

Ranieri's return to English football (he managed Chelsea from 2000 to 2004) has been so successful that every match seems to signal the destruction of more preconceptions, and indeed misconceptions, about his abilities. It is well known that Ranieri's policy of squad rotation, with which he was years ahead of his time, earned him the nickname "Tinkerman," but it has been forgotten that his stewardship attracted scorn for other reasons. His inability to speak English and his reliance on senior players to help with translation attracted much ire in a nation still not entirely trusting of foreign influences.

His expensive rebuild in 2001 failed to bring instant success and the whopping £11 million he paid for Frank Lampard was deemed a startling extravagance. He finished sixth, sixth and then fourth with Chelsea, but won over the supporters, not simply with his personality but also with the steady progress in what would soon prove to be more testing circumstances.

For in the period before the Abramovich takeover in 2003, Chelsea found themselves in financial difficulty. Securing Champions League football with a last day of the season win over Liverpool, having been unable to significantly strengthen his squad that year, was no small achievement for Ranieri.

In the end, Ranieri would pay the price for inflated expectations and appalling timing. The expectations came from above when Abramovich dumped enough cash in the coffers to fund a space programme. The timing came from Arsenal, who hit a glorious peak under Arsene Wenger and romped through the season unbeaten. Long before that, it was clear that Abramovich wanted his own man. First it was thought to be Sven-Goran Eriksson. Then a new candidate made himself known at Porto ...

But at Leicester, despite continued doubts over his powers, he has stunned the Premier League. There is, of course, a long way to go yet, but the Foxes have taken the same number of points from 10 games that they took from 29 games last season. They play quick, breathless football and in Jamie Vardy, they have one of Europe's most in-form strikers. Added to that, they look they're having fun too. Having finally achieved the clean sheet that Ranieri had asked for last weekend, he took the squad out for celebratory pizza.

Ranieri has been bold since he arrived, casting off Nigel Pearson's back three and replacing it with a more conventional back four, without any adverse effect. The redeployment of Jeff Schlupp as a left-back has been a success, as has the use of Riyad Mahrez, who has the licence to cut in and cause havoc. Only slight changes are made to the structure from week to week, an occasional shift to 4-1-4-1 and, of course, there is the indefatigability that has seen them come back from behind on so many occasions.

"He's a gentleman and a very intelligent person," said Karlsen. "With the career he's enjoyed -- and still enjoying -- and the big clubs he's managed, he doesn't need to prove himself or try hard to appear clever. He's perfectly comfortable with himself and that shines through in the way he deals with the media, supporters and people in general."

http://www.espnfc.co.uk/barclays-premier-league/23/blog/post/2689397/claudio-ranieri-proving-critics-wrong-at-leicester-city?

I think to some extent Pulis is also covering his own back - making comment on the fact that he didn't walk into a situation of rainbows and sunshine at West Brom.

"Claudio Ranieri is doing better at Leicester than I am at West Brom because he walked into a job where everything was already laid out nicely for him."

It's mind-games without a doubt. 

Is it...

Last 10 games of the season

22 points - Scored 22 - Against 11

First 10 games of the season

19 points - Score 20 - Against 17

There is little to back up your statement, especially when the players who we think improved us the most so far (Kante & Fuchs) were either signed or targeted before Claudio, so it's more than likely they would have improved us if he was still here also.

He has made some great tactical changes granted.

He's getting best out of players that most of the time looked lost last season. You've decided to compare ranieri's first 10 games with pearsons best 10, fair enough. But would I be fair enough now to compare the next 28 this season with pearsons other 28?

• Like 1

He's getting best out of players that most of the time looked lost last season. You've decided to compare ranieri's first 10 games with pearsons best 10, fair enough. But would I be fair enough now to compare the next 28 this season with pearsons other 28?

Yes I have decided to use that form, because they didn't look lost then. It's fairly obvious we were capable of what's happening now last season, those stats show it. Point proved, end of story.

You can compare all the coming games all you want, but it will prove little. The management and the players were learning their way last year, it took them time to find the right formula and what it takes to win in this league, but they did in the end and it has continued. The team now also contains better players, better players we were intent on signing anyway, with or without Pearson.

• Like 2

But he inherited them when they were on form, the only true comparison would be if we replayed this season with Pearson still in charge, but we can't do that.

Pearson did a great job, but made his share of mistakes along the way, Ranieri has done a  great job so far and hasn't made any mistakes... yet.

After Ranieri has had 3 and a half years in charge he will probably have had a few clangers for us to mull over, obviously I hope not, but really we should consider ourselves very fortunate to first have had Pearson and now have Ranieri who seems intent on carrying on Pearson's good work.

• Like 1

Yes I have decided to use that form, because they didn't look lost then. It's fairly obvious we were capable of what's happening now last season, those stats show it. Point proved, end of story.

You can compare all the coming games all you want, but it will prove little. The management and the players were learning their way last year, it took them time to find the right formula and what it takes to win in this league, but they did in the end and it has continued. The team now also contains better players, better players we were intent on signing anyway, with or without Pearson.

That is one way of looking at it. Another would be that we were as good as down last season so we had no choice but to go for it, got a few breaks and gained momentum. Whether that is through learning or actually playing the way we should have for the previous 28 games is open to debate.

• Like 1

Ranieri has already made some clear errors, but because we are doing well he is not getting pulled up on them. If it was Pearson the usual suspects would be slagging him off.

- Bournemouth away. The majority of us knew lining up that way wasn't the best way to a win.

- Southampton away, not starting Mahrez.

- Hull away. Not picking a side, or motivating the selected one to a better performance

Added to that you have the issue of messing up our defensive solidarity.

Just to be clear, I'm not slagging Claudio off, but let's be fair and know where his faults have been so far.

These pre match interviews, reveal nothing as far as opinions go.Journalist rightly ask thoughts of oppisition manager, so

short opinions are given, or rided around.

Ranieri, keeps it close, since his 1st PL days, never heard him, being detrimental to opposing team or manager.

Concentrates more on his team, and his working with that team.

NP in this, was quite simular, NP just hated journalists stupid comments, Claudio just laughs.

Ranieri has already made some clear errors, but because we are doing well he is not getting pulled up on them. If it was Pearson the usual suspects would be slagging him off.

- Bournemouth away. The majority of us knew lining up that way wasn't the best way to a win.

- Hull away. Not picking a side, or motivating the selected one to a better performance

Just to be clear, I'm not slagging Claudio off, but let's be fair and know where his faults have been so far.

total crap, on games. Its your opinion..only

No way with the Hull game. That was the same core team that beat West Ham, with additional benefits of having a stronger bench! What would that say about him as a man manager if he ignored the fringe players for a cup game?

That is one way of looking at it. Another would be that we were as good as down last season so we had no choice but to go for it, got a few breaks and gained momentum. Whether that is through learning or actually playing the way we should have for the previous 28 games is open to debate.

Is that not still "taking time to find the right formula and what it takes to win in this league". The introduction of Huth and reverting to three at the back was clearly a turning point, Huth wasn't here for the previous bunch of games. Whether by luck or design we found a formulae that worked.

Edited by Babylon

7 out of the 10 teams that are doing worse than predicted by Lawrenson are (or have been for the majority of the season) managed by people from the British Isles.

6 out of the 7 teams that are doing better than predicted by Lawrenson are managed by foreigners.

So he's racist, that's what you are saying isn't it. 

Edited by Babylon

I don't think you have a valid argument there at all, the 3 points you have pulled out are total nonsense

What was wrong with Bournemouth away? Sorry I didn't realise you were a football manager

Mahrez didn't deserve to start against Southampton

Hull away? he picked the same side that beat the only other team performing out of their skin at the minute.

The ONLY time CR has got it wrong this season is Arsenal at home.

• Like 2

Is that not still "taking time to find the right formula and what it takes to win in this league". The introduction of Huth and reverting to three at the back was clearly a turning point, Huth wasn't here for the previous bunch of games. Whether by luck or design we found a formulae that worked.

If we were still using that same formula then I'd agree completely with you, but we aren't. With a change in formation, one that we couldn't get working last season, the success this year has been more about the players stepping up than the person in overall charge.

If we were still using that same formula then I'd agree completely with you, but we aren't. With a change in formation, one that we couldn't get working last season, the success this year has been more about the players stepping up than the person in overall charge.

We're still using multiple things from that setup that changed during the good run, the formation was just one of many things. The addition of Huth, not playing four central midfielders, the reintroduction of Albrighton. Perhaps the three at the back worked because it meant we didn't play bloody Konch and De Laet, something we've stopped doing again this year.

West Ham  - CITY: Schwarzer; Simpson, Wasilewski, Benalouane, Fuchs; Dodoo (Kanté 82), King ©, Inler, Albrighton (Schlupp 67); Ulloa, Kramarić (Mahrez 82). 

SUBS NOT USED: Schmeichel, De Laet, Chilwell, Blyth 

Hull - CITY: Schwarzer, De Laet, Benalouane, Wasilewski, Chilwell, Dodoo (Mahrez 84), Inler , King ©, Albrighton, Kramarić (Drinkwater 65), Okazaki (Vardy 65) 

SUBS NOT USED: Schmeichel, Morgan, Simpson, Blyth

Similar but I'm not convinced you can say it's the same team

We're still using multiple things from that setup that changed during the good run, the formation was just one of many things. The addition of Huth, not playing four central midfielders, the reintroduction of Albrighton. Perhaps the three at the back worked because it meant we didn't play bloody Konch and De Laet, something we've stopped doing again this year.

I cannot argue with that!

I don't think you have a valid argument there at all, the 3 points you have pulled out are total nonsense

What was wrong with Bournemouth away? Sorry I didn't realise you were a football manager

Hull away? he picked the same side that beat the only other team performing out of their skin at the minute.

I agree with you on all except bournmouth away with the formation we played we had no outlet that game ball just kept coming back

No way with the Hull game. That was the same core team that beat West Ham, with additional benefits of having a stronger bench! What would that say about him as a man manager if he ignored the fringe players for a cup game?

Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd didn't pick 10 new starters. They arguably took the cup more seriously than us, which is a ludicrous position for us to take.

You'll find Nige well respected at West Brom for more than one reason

But that was well before Pulis' time. I can see Pulis identifying a lot with big Nige, old school British manager, and after what happened to him at Stoke he may be concerned his methods are no longer wanted.

-Bournemouth away we reverted to a negative 4-5-1 for the first time of the season which isolated Vardy and it was a dull performance. We should have backed ourselves with a more attacking setup.

Mahrez was THE difference when he came on vs Southampton and should not have been dropped for 2 games on the back of one poor Arsenal performance.

The Hull question I've already answered.