Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

On a side note. What's our record points total in the top flight?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we've ever broken 60 points?

Just checked, highest was 55 points in 1999-00. We would've got 72 in both 1928-29 and 62-63 if it was 3 points for a win back then, but we got 52 instead.

Edited by potter3

Funny thing is we could end up with less points because we've not played the big teams yet.

If we had played Chelsea and Liverpool already it would be more likely we would have got a result.

Both had poor starts and are only going to get better.

Of the teama in the top 8 we have played we have 8 points from 5 games. 3 home and 2 away.

Edited by Aus Fox

Dont know if any of you play the BBC Predictor Game, but if you do the most popular prediction is for us to win 2-1 against United.

We've known the quality in this side for ages, it seems everybody else is starting to catch on... :scarf:

The question is, in my opinion, can United keep a clean sheet against us?

...and to be honest, the answer is a resounding no.

We'll dick 'em 3-0. Vardy brace, Drinkwater screamer. **** off Van Nistlerooy.

Surprise? 55% of Liverpool fans reject Klopp's plan to sign 'fantastic' £15m goal-machine

11/10/2015 06:15:00 p.m.

After nine goals in nine games, 'fantastic' Liverpool target Jamie Vardy is one game away from equalling Ruud Van Nistelrooy's record-breaking 10-game goalscoring streak for Manchester United. Vardy is currently linked with a move to Anfield, but what do LFC fans think about the potential transfer?

The story so far:

Oct 2014ESPN claimed: 

"Liverpool and Tottenham are keeping a close eye on Leicester City's in-form striker Jamie Vardy, sources have told ESPN FC".

Oct 2014: Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri told reporters

“If he [Vardy] wants to find a great club it would cost a lot. If big names want to buy him they [must] have the money. Not many teams can buy him now".

Nov 2014: An alleged exclusive in the Daily Star claimed

"Leicester will demand £15m for Jamie Vardy. Tottenham, Liverpool, West Brom and Borussia Dortmund have all shown an interest".

Last week, I conducted a poll whether Liverpool should sign Vardy. The results:

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-11-10%2Bat%2B4.40.3

Nine goals in Nine games is a superb achievement, especially for Vardy, who playing with comparatively inferior players. Van Nistelrooy played with the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney; Sturridge - who once grabbed 8 goals in 8 games for Liverpool - had Gerrard, and Suarez for company.

In my view, Vardy is a clear upgrade on Origi and Ings. Indeed, he already has the more goals this season that Ings got for the whole of 2014-15. Additionally, Vardy grabbed more goals/assists overall than Ings last season.

With Klopp at the helm, Vardy is worth a punt...for the right price (£8m-£10m). Granted, there's always the risk of small club mentality getting in the way of success at Anfield, but I'd argue that'll be less of a problem under Klopp.

With Vardy at the club, and everyone fit, I'd have the following pecking order:

* Sturridge
* Benteke
* Vardy
* Ings
* Origi

Author: Jaimie K

For the benefit of any opposition fans who might read this, we may have spent a couple of million in total on Vardy and Mahrez but we also spent:

£7m-ish on a striker who can't get on the bench

£5.6m on a defender who can't get on the bench

But yeah, chuck your £8m bid in. We spent that on a Championship striker last summer.

• Like 4

Leicester City: Anti-anti-football

By by Simon Winter on November 10, 2015

Why the Foxes are great for football

4891.jpg?resize=718%2C431

Leicester are just 1 point from the Premier League’s summit after 12 games, sitting 3rd behind Man City and Arsenal. Any mention of “purple patches” or “easy runs” can be countered by recalling the series of wins (7 from 9) they had at the end of last season. This is a sustained period of good form and it no longer feels like a hot streak where everything is falling for them.

Refreshingly, Leicester have approached their games with a ‘you score two, we’ll score three’ mentality, which has been a wonderful escape from the highly structured, tactically disciplined set ups that many teams employ. They are the league’s great entertainers. They have scored just one goal less than current leaders City and have conceded the same number of goals as bottom club Aston Villa.

Their solitary league defeat this season came against Arsenal in a 5-2 home reverse in a game where the sides had over 40 attempts on goal between them. They have also rescued 10 points from losing positions – more than any other team. Leicester’s games are incredibly open in general, end to end, dazzling and action packed. Red hot Jamie Vardy is zeroing in on Ruud Van Nistelroooy’s record for scoring in consecutive Premier League games thanks to his teammates penchant for attacking like plundering pirates. Watching them is like being drunk at the circus – you’re not sure what’s going on, but it’s incredibly fun.

In terms of value for money and entertainment for fans, Leicester are out on their own and they deserve both the recognition and praise that should come with that, because sometimes it is easy to forget what football is. It’s a pastime for the working class and ordinary man. It’s escapism through sport. Man Utd fans will be able to tell you all about the importance of entertaining football.

Leicester’s anti-anti-football should be used as a blueprint for other Premier League clubs with progressive aspirations. They are showing us that it isn’t necessary to roll out the kind of turgid percentage play football favoured by managers like Tony Pulis, who set out to strangle the life out of games through blanket defences, time wasting and set piece repetition. There is another way – a better way.

And yet, Pulis is regularly celebrated for his record and ability to grind results out for teams. Jose Mourinho once said of the WBA manager:

“If I own an English club, which I don’t and which I’d never do, I’d sign Tony Pulis. It’s as simple as that. It’s a guarantee to achieve what the club wants….His record is absolutely amazing and he does what some people don’t understand – but I do – and what other people sometimes don’t rate, but I do.”

I guess it’s no surprise that one manager who appreciates structure and discipline over freedom of expression would praise another. Peas in a pod. Mourinho also once said:

“I left out Hazard because we are conceding lots of goals”

A quote that would horrify football purists and fans of genius alike.

Take Saturday’s recent game between two of the Premier League’s dullest outfits, Man Utd and WBA at Old Trafford. Pulis dug the trenches, spooled out the razor wire and stationed a ten strong defensive patrol at the edge of their 18 yard box. They succeeded in frustrating a regularly toothless and dull United attack until the second half, having offered nothing in attack themselves.

When United did manage to nick a goal, Pulis made a couple of attacking changes and you know what? They started to look a genuine threat. Berahino was introduced, Sessegnon was released from defensive responsibilities down the right and the Baggies began to make United look vulnerable.

So why not approach the game in that way from the outset? It wasn’t necessary to be overly gung-ho, there weren’t huge or obvious gaps for United to exploit on the break (bar the counter for the injury time penalty). Why not make the game a contest from kick-off? Adventure is very often rewarded in this league if teams have the courage to embrace it.

It is of course naïve of me to think that Tony Pulis will suddenly completely change his tactical methodology. He can point to results in black and white as a reason to continue his tried and tested approach. He was even voted Premier League Manager of the Year a couple of seasons ago for keeping Crystal Palace up with his mechanical formulae. And what a thoroughly deserved award it was too! Who could forget sensational games like: Palace 1 West Ham 0, Aston Villa 0 Palace 1, Palace 1 Hull City 0, Sunderland 0 Palace 1 and of course Palace 1 Aston Villa 0, which brought rushing back the memories from that earlier showpiece Aston Villa 0 Palace 1. Remarkable.

In fairness, they did scupper Liverpool’s title charge with that 3 goal comeback, which might just be deserving of the Manager of the Year award on its own.

I feel I am slipping a little off track here with my Pulis bashing, but it’s more a comparison or example of what football shouldn’t be and a style that clubs should never strive to emulate.

What Leicester have shown the leagues other minnows (not intended as an insult, put down the torches) is that you don’t need to pack your team full of 6 foot plus bruisers to succeed. Trust in the game’s footballers, believe in expression, pick talent and ingenuity over limitation and cynicism. Be a Flying Fox and not a Boring Baggie.

by Simon Winter

simonhead.jpg?resize=118%2C118

Excellent article. Cannot word enough how much I echo every word of it.