Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Loved that piece by Simon Winter. Spot on about Pulis, he's a chairman's dream, if what you want is the coffers filled with Premier League football every season. If you're paying over £1k a year to follow your team, though, he's far from ideal.

As for that Liverpool article; it's the one thing that frustrates me most about this situation (and I'm sure I've already moaned about it), teams considered bigger than us seem to think they can snap their fingers, park up with a potful of cash and get the player we want. Sorry, that's not happening anymore. We're staying up now, we're guaranteed at least £99m in TV revenue next season, we don't need the paltry figures you want. You want Vardy? Fine, pay for him, his market value as decided by US. Not what you think is deemed acceptable for you.

The Stones saga in the summer saw what is hopefully the start of clubs who didn't traditionally have the financial might of the top teams. If they're not for sale, they're not for sale, and your £40m makes no difference. Vardy is under contract to 2018 and there's no need/incentive to sell. The sooner the self-important fans and press realise this the better. (The same goes for Mahrez too)

• Like 2

It does look ridiculous and Vardy obviously proving he deserves a place but I do agree with the sentiment. Players often called up because of who they play for rather than how well they are playing.

Surprise? 55% of Liverpool fans reject Klopp's plan to sign 'fantastic' £15m goal-machine

11/10/2015 06:15:00 p.m.

After nine goals in nine games, 'fantastic' Liverpool target Jamie Vardy is one game away from equalling Ruud Van Nistelrooy's record-breaking 10-game goalscoring streak for Manchester United. Vardy is currently linked with a move to Anfield, but what do LFC fans think about the potential transfer?

The story so far:

Oct 2014ESPN claimed: 

"Liverpool and Tottenham are keeping a close eye on Leicester City's in-form striker Jamie Vardy, sources have told ESPN FC".

Oct 2014: Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri told reporters

“If he [Vardy] wants to find a great club it would cost a lot. If big names want to buy him they [must] have the money. Not many teams can buy him now".

Nov 2014: An alleged exclusive in the Daily Star claimed

"Leicester will demand £15m for Jamie Vardy. Tottenham, Liverpool, West Brom and Borussia Dortmund have all shown an interest".

Last week, I conducted a poll whether Liverpool should sign Vardy. The results:

Screen%2BShot%2B2015-11-10%2Bat%2B4.40.3

Nine goals in Nine games is a superb achievement, especially for Vardy, who playing with comparatively inferior players. Van Nistelrooy played with the likes of Ronaldo and Rooney; Sturridge - who once grabbed 8 goals in 8 games for Liverpool - had Gerrard, and Suarez for company.

In my view, Vardy is a clear upgrade on Origi and Ings. Indeed, he already has the more goals this season that Ings got for the whole of 2014-15. Additionally, Vardy grabbed more goals/assists overall than Ings last season.

With Klopp at the helm, Vardy is worth a punt...for the right price (£8m-£10m). Granted, there's always the risk of small club mentality getting in the way of success at Anfield, but I'd argue that'll be less of a problem under Klopp.

With Vardy at the club, and everyone fit, I'd have the following pecking order:

* Sturridge

* Benteke

* Vardy

* Ings

* Origi

Author: Jaimie K

Do people really believe they could pick up Vardy for £8m-£10m? That's incredible. That's how much decent Championship players go for these days.

I strongly doubt £30m would be enough to turn the club's head at the moment. English players are always overpriced, and add to that the fact that a striker is the most expensive position to fill, not to mention goalscorers in the form of their lives. His contract doesn't run out until 2018, either. Even if he asked for a transfer, the club can't be forced to sell him for such a paltry sum. There'd be a queue of clubs after him in that situation, and we could still demand a hefty fee.

£8m for Vardy is laughable. With him playing like he is, if he was in the last year of his contract, and he was a couple of years older, and he asked to be put on the transfer list, and that's all we got for him, I'd still be disappointed.

Do people really believe they could pick up Vardy for £8m-£10m? That's incredible. That's how much decent Championship players go for these days.

I strongly doubt £30m would be enough to turn the club's head at the moment. English players are always overpriced, and add to that the fact that a striker is the most expensive position to fill, not to mention goalscorers in the form of their lives. His contract doesn't run out until 2018, either. Even if he asked for a transfer, the club can't be forced to sell him for such a paltry sum. There'd be a queue of clubs after him in that situation, and we could still demand a hefty fee.

£8m for Vardy is laughable. With him playing like he is, if he was in the last year of his contract, and he was a couple of years older, and he asked to be put on the transfer list, and that's all we got for him, I'd still be disappointed.

He also believes Vardy has scored 9 in 9, so he is clearly not too thorough in his research.

There is nothing of merit in that article and should just be politely ignored.

Mahrez and Vardy in The Guardian team of the season so far. And Drinkwater on the bench.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/nov/11/premier-league-team-season-so-far?CMP=share_btn_tw

What a nice change from what they were saying a few months ago

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/jul/14/claudio-ranieri-leicester-city-nigel-pearson

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2015/aug/05/premier-league-2015-16-season-predictionssome of the comments here are funny

Edited by lgfualol

"Relegated: Watford and Norwich, just because they go up and they go down. And probably Leicester too." - Barney Ronay.

He also says that Harry Kane is a hero who will score 30 goals...

Loved that piece by Simon Winter. Spot on about Pulis, he's a chairman's dream, if what you want is the coffers filled with Premier League football every season. If you're paying over £1k a year to follow your team, though, he's far from ideal.

As for that Liverpool article; it's the one thing that frustrates me most about this situation (and I'm sure I've already moaned about it), teams considered bigger than us seem to think they can snap their fingers, park up with a potful of cash and get the player we want. Sorry, that's not happening anymore. We're staying up now, we're guaranteed at least £99m in TV revenue next season, we don't need the paltry figures you want. You want Vardy? Fine, pay for him, his market value as decided by US. Not what you think is deemed acceptable for you.

The Stones saga in the summer saw what is hopefully the start of clubs who didn't traditionally have the financial might of the top teams. If they're not for sale, they're not for sale, and your £40m makes no difference. Vardy is under contract to 2018 and there's no need/incentive to sell. The sooner the self-important fans and press realise this the better. (The same goes for Mahrez too)

Yeah, it pisses me off, whenever I read something about Vardy or Marhez, they are always referred to as Man U, Liverpool or Arsenal targets. It's not just paper talk though. The jurno's have to talk about the big four in everything they write about, but it feels like the bigger clubs feed off of it and soften up the players they are after, by leaking the news they are interested. It good to see there are signs smaller clubs aren't going to be treated like that anymore. 

To be fair they haven't been proven wrong yet, once we've hit the 40 point mark then yeah by all means troll them, but it could come back to bite you on the arse

Straight from the Ranieri book of 'keeping your feet firmly on the ground' - I like it.

A lot of people on here seeming to take great pleasure in proving the journos predictions wrong. I seem to recall a few FT posters also saying we'd go down (or close to relegation) when NP left and Claudio came in.

Truth is, nobody saw this start to the season coming. It's surprised everyone.

Straight from the Ranieri book of 'keeping your feet firmly on the ground' - I like it.

A lot of people on here seeming to take great pleasure in proving the journos predictions wrong. I seem to recall a few FT posters also saying we'd go down (or close to relegation) when NP left and Claudio came in.

Truth is, nobody saw this start to the season coming. It's surprised everyone.

It was just those that was thinking with there heart after Pearson was sacked, and they didn't agree with it.

So you're telling me you were expecting to be 3rd by mid November? lol lol

Nobody expected to be third, but we didn't expect relegation really.

But professional football journalists should know better than to have us down as 20th when you have a man in charge that is proven at the highest level in Italy, Spain and France as well as being experienced in the Champions League.

It was only a couple of seasons ago he won the Ligue 2 division with Monaco then followed up with second in Ligue 1 ffs.

Every appointment is a risk and there was (and still is) a chance we'll get relegated so I didn't have a problem with that. The rubbishing of Ranieri and his career as a buffoon-like joke figure who makes 25 changes each game and lost to the Faroe Islands as proof we'd go down with about 6 points was ridiculous, however. Especially given that most of last season we were being told to ditch Pearson and go for Pulis/ Sherwood/ Lennon as they'd "keep us up, no question".

Foreign managers are always viewed differently to British ones however good/ bad they've been.

Nobody expected to be third, but we didn't expect relegation really.

But professional football journalists should know better than to have us down as 20th when you have a man in charge that is proven at the highest level in Italy, Spain and France as well as being experienced in the Champions League.

It was only a couple of seasons ago he won the Ligue 2 division with Monaco then followed up with second in Ligue 1 ffs.

I was one of the people that thought it was a bad move to sack Pearson (still do in some ways) but my real concern about Raniari was I thought he would change everything. If I had known he wouldn't be changing much I would have been more supportive. Still think we looked more rounded with 3/5 at the back and I still have my biggest concern about what the future will hold and if we continue to buy the same kind of players team ethic etc... Some people talk as if Pearson just turned up of work without any input at all, which is really quite amazing! Raniari is getting a lot of credit for the team Nige built. Raniari should get credit for not taking the team apart, but he hasn't brought anyone in that has improved it and that is my only concern about the future. We are 3rd at this moment in time and playing as good as ever, so who can complain. Overall of course I'm happy like everyone else.