Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

PULIS ON BERAHINO

Tony Pulis is speaking ahead of West Brom's trip to Newcastle on Saturday, the club who attempted to sign Saido Berahino in the winter window, and he's had this to say about his striker...

"This football club has been without one of best goal scorers in the Premier League for the whole season. Take Vardy out of Leicester and see where they are.

Fook off Pulis, thinks he's smart in saying that a team isn't as good as it is when you remove the top goal scorer

If you took Schmeichel out of our team and put me in goal we'd be bottom; if you took Morgan, Huth or Fuchs out of our team and put a defender from a pub team in their place, we'd be bottom; if you took Kanté, Albrighton, Mahrez... well, you get the point. It's a fvckin' team game, and the team that is Leicester City is top of the league. Deal with it, Tony. Tw4t.

Edited by LanguedocFox

I don't think Pulis was having a go at us, just saying they're doing not so well because their top striker isn't getting a game. Not everything is about us.

Because the manager doesn't pick him. Tony Pulis is the manager.

If he thinks they'd be better with Berahino in the side why isn't he playing him?

Reckon he's been wearing that baseball cap too tightly.

Because the manager doesn't pick him. Tony Pulis is the manager.

If he thinks they'd be better with Berahino in the side why isn't he playing him?

Reckon he's been wearing that baseball cap too tightly.

That still doesn't mean he's having a go at us.

Interesting comparison between us this season and Simeone's Atletico Madrid.

http://twentyminutereads.com/2016/02/04/secrets-of-the-italian-4-4-2/

I've thought this for a while. There are some quite eerie similarities about the two - also to point out that they went away to the current champions on the final day of the season...

PULIS ON BERAHINO

Tony Pulis is speaking ahead of West Brom's trip to Newcastle on Saturday, the club who attempted to sign Saido Berahino in the winter window, and he's had this to say about his striker...

"This football club has been without one of best goal scorers in the Premier League for the whole season. Take Vardy out of Leicester and see where they are.

Fook off Pulis, thinks he's smart in saying that a team isn't as good as it is when you remove the top goal scorer

He's right though... sides will struggle if they can't put the ball in the back of the net, simples.

It's no mistake that Villa are an even worse side without Benteke - the main reason they survived last season is because they managed to get him firing again towards the end part of the season.

There's countless other examples as well - but given how prominent we are at the moment, it's no suprise that Pulis picked us and Vardy as a comparison. It's why a lot of us are a bit concerned we didn't nail a 4th striker in the window, because the realisation is if Vardy's hamstring pops, we suddenly lose a big part of our side - not only in goals but in terms of the fear factor he can put into the opposition. An oppositions defence would be a lot happier looking at a team sheet without him in it that's for sure.

As fans, we've got to be careful not to slip into the big teams, entitled mentality, keep some humbleness about ourselves, so as big as a twat as Pulis can be, on this occasion he wasn't and if anything it was a veiled compliment towards Vardy and us, not a dig.

Don't know if this has already been posted http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35497832

'Leicester: You've made our teams look like a bunch of amateurs'

_88108223_ranieri_rex.jpg
Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri used to manage Jeremy Vine's beloved Chelsea

BBC Radio 2 presenter Jeremy Vine has been a Chelsea season ticket holder for 20 years.

Dear Leicester City fan,

Can you take a moment to spare a thought for me, a beleaguered Chelsea supporter? I just saw my team fail to score against Watford. Let's put that in context: we are Premier League champions, and we cannot find the net at Watford. We don't even know where the net is. Eden Hazard ought to be wired up to a sat-nav.

So it has finally dawned on me. Chelsea are not going to be champions any more, maybe not for many years. I can now admit something I have been in total denial about. For the sake of my children I will keep pretending to believe - keep turning up at games and shout for Chelsea. But our campaign is over.

So at some point the question has to be answered. If Chelsea can't win the league, who do I want the crown to go to?

Today I tweeted a picture from my account, saying I want Leicester to win the league.

_88108218_vardy.jpg

And naturally I got abuse from the kind of people who lose their T-shirt as soon as they see a pint of real ale. "Plastic fan," replied someone with too much time on his hands, "u should only care about your team."

This is my reply: I do. But I want Leicester to win the Premier League because my team can't.

This week you took Liverpool apart. Your pair of Jamie Vardy and Riyad Mahrez have 31 league goals between them, more than all the Reds combined. You are performing the kind of high-wire act not seen since the French daredevil Philippe Petit strung a cable between the Twin Towers and crossed it without a harness.

Every week we expect you to fall; to go down 7-0 like Gary Neville's Valencia just did. But every week you stay on that cable.

When you played us in December I totted up the total cost of your players. I made the total bill £23m. Chelsea's, by contrast, was £215m. I was so embarrassed I hid my jottings in a coat pocket. You then beat us 2-1, adding injury to insult and meaning your scoreline was 19 times times cheaper than ours on a pounds-per-goal basis.

I tuned into 5 live's 606 show that week and heard a Leicester dad called Lee weep on the line with Robbie Savage, who used to play in midfield for your team. The man cried as he described his beloved LCFC going from last to first in the league in just 12 months. "I'm welling up," he told Robbie. "This season is just unbelievable, pal."

_88108387_petit.jpg
Leicester, like Philippe Petit, have not faltered

His son, he explained, grew up with all his friends supporting teams like Manchester United, Arsenal and...Chelsea. He told his boy to hang in there with Leicester because one day things would turn. When the Foxes finally reached the summit of the Premier League, Lee said, "My son looked me in the eye and said: 'Dad, dad, amazing, absolutely amazing'."

Lee then told Robbie: "You can't tell me we haven't got a chance of winning the league."

The broadcaster replied: "Lee, how can I tell you that you can't win the league after that?" I seem to remember the man crying as he said goodbye.

So I am going to go even further than Robbie. Leicester fan, your team can win the league. You deserve to win it. You will win it. And you will win it because I, and many thousands of others, are secretly willing you to, because it's the closest thing to Roy of the Rovers we've ever seen. You've made the teams we support look like a bunch of bungling amateurs, and, despite my pain, I love you for it.

Yours sincerely

Jeremy Vine

Load of rubbish really, one game... Even the next two could mean nothing come the end of the season. We got one point from the two games first half of the season... And we're still 3 ahead! Same could happen second half also.

Haha, I like the bar charts with no data nor reasoning.

A win would probably put me a good 12% better likelihood to marry Natalie Portman, but a draw would only give me about 5%, and a loss almost certainly gives her hand to one of the Goldmansacks brothers.

That doesn't mean anything. So many fans and pundits have put the emphasis on how strange this season has been. I wouldn't count too much on stats, as they tend to omit the human factor. And that factor is strong in football.

Unless Pulis is hinting that their chairman won't let him play berahino as a result of the summer transfer window then he's just making himself look like a fool. You pick the players, if you're not picking them and struggling as a resullt, who's fault is that?

While it's true that this game won't determine our chances of winning the league, it can have a major bearing on it and it's silly to pretend otherwise.

That's not what those stats are trying to prove, though.

Well, I suppose we'll never know what they actually mean without the corresponding description.

Another sign of the recogniton Leicester's achievements are getting around the world.

Here is a translation of an article from the back page of yesterday's Berliner Zeitung. Unfortunately (or maybe, fortunately), the original article isn't on the free online version of the paper so you can't do a Google translate version to compare wth my effort, The orignal German title is "Füchse auf der Pirsch" and it is by a sports journalist named Matti LIeske,

FOXES ON THE PROWL

Matti Liseke is impressed with the resilience of the league leaders in England

It certainly was not a good evening for Jürgen Klopp, but it was an extremely positive one for Leicester City fans and for all those with a sense of the romantic and who root for the underdog. Just as they have done throughout the season, Claudio Ranieri’s team played with calmness, confidence and with total dedication to the cause, kept Liverpool’s attacks at bay and scored two beautiful goals. Those came, of course, from Jamie Vardy, now the top scorer in the Premier League with 18 goals.

As Arsenal could only achieve a 0-0 draw with Southampton, Leicester lead the Londoners by five points and Manchester City by three (with 24 games played). As a result, people are not just jokingly but seriously beginning to suggest that the Foxes could actually win the league. It would be the first time since 1995, when Blackburn Rovers sensationally won the title, that the champions have not been called Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea or Manchester City.

It is not so unusual for a cheeky upstart to mix it with the big names in Europe’s biggest and richest league, but this is normally an early season phenomenon which fades as the top clubs reap the rewards of having squads with greater depth and it looked as if Leicester’s ascent had come to halt when they went five games without a win after Boxing Day. However, in the game against Liverpool the team showed that they thought otherwise and played as they always play. Robert Huth rampages at the back, Riyad Maherz provides the beautiful passes and Vardy scores. Ranieri lets the team play to its strengths. Leicester is only the team in the league which has less than 50% possession in their home games, but they are solid at the back and when they attack, all hell breaks loose.

It has to be said that Leicester City is not a poor club, the wealth of Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, the Thai owner, is estimated at three billion Euros. However, the club’s budget is nowhere near that of the heavyweights. By next season it could be well be that the best players have joined other clubs - although Vardy has just extended his contract. But until then the Foxes are going to provide a lot of pleasure. And, by the way, their next opponents are..... Manchester City and Arsenal.

Thanks for taking the time to translate this… it's always interesting to hear another perspective l!

• Like 1

Some good stuff being written recently. Kind of makes you think a lot of it could have been written a few months ago though. That Liverpool game has been a huge turning point in how we're perceived, even though there have been more impressive wins. Maybe the Vardy goal seemed like an example of something new.

Some good stuff being written recently. Kind of makes you think a lot of it could have been written a few months ago though. That Liverpool game has been a huge turning point in how we're perceived, even though there have been more impressive wins. Maybe the Vardy goal seemed like an example of something new.

I thought exactly the same. It's almost like a switch has flicked on Fleet Street that we might actually have quite a good side.

That it took a win over a "big club" currently languishing in mid-table though speaks volumes for the level of interest and knowledge there is of those outside of the "big 6".