Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Our win against Chelsea didn't cause a ripple. If we manage something special against Man Coty expect an explosion.

We'd still be only six points ahead. I know we're riding high on confidence and can boast just two losses in 23 league games, but with the Top Four so close to one another, I'd rather wait with such statements until the end of March.

We can dream, though. And hope.

I thought exactly the same. It's almost like a switch has flicked on Fleet Street that we might actually have quite a good side.

That it took a win over a "big club" currently languishing in mid-table though speaks volumes for the level of interest and knowledge there is of those outside of the "big 6".

I expect the other reason for this is if you are a national football correspondent, responsible for reporting on football in generally as opposed to a region or specific team it's impossible to have in depth knowledge of every club - and naturally they are going to be reporting on the 'bigger' clubs because that's what the editors will want in order to sell copy.

However, as our story has progressed, it's meant these journalists are now looking at us with a little more detail than they were before, getting information from sources and realising what a good side we have been so far - that it's not a fluke. If you add into the mix that this fairytale story is getting ever more real as league games whittle down, it makes a much more interesting story that will shift papers / gain internet hits from a wider audience, not just a core base of Leicester fans, so it is probably these factors as much as anything else which has meant the comment now being produced on the club in the national papers etc is more informed, complimentary and positive for us to read.

I would also dare say that the Chelsea win did cause a ripple... that's when the press really started looking in on us and wondering if this wasn't a flash in the pan, it just got overshadowed a little by the events with Jose that occurred immediately after it.

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond

Good article, but I would question the player by player breakdown, Drinkwater is a lot more than just a ball winning CM, Simpson is not a dynamic marauding full back and how anyone can compare Vardy to Costa is beyond me.

I didn't get any of that. Am I missing something?

Another sign of the recogniton Leicester's achievements are getting around the world.

Here is a translation of an article from the back page of yesterday's Berliner Zeitung. Unfortunately (or maybe, fortunately), the original article isn't on the free online version of the paper so you can't do a Google translate version to compare wth my effort, The orignal German title is "Füchse auf der Pirsch" and it is by a sports journalist named Matti LIeske,

FOXES ON THE PROWL

Matti Liseke is impressed with the resilience of the league leaders in England

It certainly was not a good evening for Jürgen Klopp, but  it was an extremely positive one for Leicester City fans and for all those with a sense of the romantic and who root for the underdog.  Just as they have done throughout the season, Claudio Ranieri’s team played with calmness, confidence and with total dedication to the cause, kept Liverpool’s attacks at bay and scored two beautiful goals. Those came, of course, from Jamie Vardy, now the top scorer in the Premier League with 18 goals.

As Arsenal could only achieve a 0-0 draw with Southampton, Leicester lead the Londoners by five points and Manchester City by three (with 24 games played).  As a result, people are not just jokingly but seriously beginning to suggest that the Foxes could actually win the league. It would be the first time since 1995, when Blackburn Rovers sensationally won the title, that the champions have not been called Manchester United, Arsenal, Chelsea or Manchester City.

It is not so unusual for a cheeky upstart to mix it with the big names in Europe’s biggest and richest league, but this is normally an early season phenomenon which fades as the top clubs reap the rewards of having squads with greater depth and it looked as if Leicester’s ascent had come to halt when they went five games without a win after Boxing Day. However, in the game against Liverpool the team showed that they thought otherwise and played as they always play. Robert Huth rampages at the back, Riyad Maherz provides the beautiful passes and Vardy scores. Ranieri lets the team play to its strengths. Leicester is only the team in the league which has less than 50% possession in their home games, but they are solid at the back and when they attack, all hell breaks loose.

It has to be said that Leicester City is not a poor club, the wealth of Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha, the Thai owner, is estimated at three billion Euros. However, the club’s budget is nowhere near that of the heavyweights. By next season it could be well be that the best players have joined other clubs  - although Vardy has just extended his contract. But until then the Foxes are going to provide a lot of pleasure. And, by the way, their next opponents are..... Manchester City and Arsenal.

The interesting thing about Blackburn is how much money they spent - nearly £15 million, 20 years ago, to buy Tim Flowers, Chris Sutton, Graeme Le Saux, Colin Hendry, Tim Sherwood and that tw4t Shearer, among others. Look at our squad, where we are, and wonder... How the fvck did we do it on less than £25 million.

Whatever happens from here on, we have done something very special.

I didn't get any of that. Am I missing something?

Think he misquoted. This is the article he was referring to:

http://twentyminutereads.com/2016/02/04/secrets-of-the-italian-4-4-2/

Don't think the comparisons were meant to be direct for every player, but the author just wanted to (literally) copy and paste the paragraph for emphasis, so used a little poetic license to make it fit...

Aguero does seem like a decent, level headed guy, not to mention his ability.

Vardy must be buzzing with praise from someone world clas like him.

When his paycheck is 6 times Vardys i would say anything in a interview, What is he supposed to say Vardy is lucky he works hard but doesn't have the skill off top strikers and Leicester are a fluke.

He has no opinion on the matter he just has to do a interview every now and then.

When his paycheck is 6 times Vardys i would say anything in a interview, What is he supposed to say Vardy is lucky he works hard but doesn't have the skill off top strikers and Leicester are a fluke.

He has no opinion on the matter he just has to do a interview every now and then.

He's still class and cool as f**k. Can't not like him, and I dislike Man City as a club.

Not his fault someone wants to pay him what he's currently on.

Anyway, most fans like Aguero and his persona, probably the best player in the Premier League too.

He's still class and cool as f**k. Can't not like him, and I dislike Man City as a club.

Not his fault someone wants to pay him what he's currently on.

Anyway, most fans like Aguero and his persona, probably the best player in the Premier League too.

I guess you are right he is probably a nice guy, who wouldn't be if you were as good as he is. TBH I wish he would say something bad about us it seems we play ever second of every game and rarely turn off the last thing we need is Vards or any of our squad not to be focussed on destroying city, Vardy comes across as a guy that scores and loves to destroy people

Enjoy the links provided for the other forums, fascinating to learn how quickly , or slowly, other fans cotton on that we are going to win the league
Thought it a good idea to have the links in one place, so I will add a few in this post,  and others can add any they think worthy.

http://forums.bluemo...-thread.319335/

http://www.molineuxm...ead.php?t=96489

http://www.thefighti....15164/page-241

Don't agree with the whole one defender is a ball player the other a ball-winner argument, he's only listed the successful partnerships.

Afterall, Stones and Jagielka fit this argument pretty well, and are not a great pairing.

Whereas Alderweirald and Vertonghen are both ball players and very successful.

The difference between us and other nations is we believe either one or the other exists....other nations combine the 2.

Saw this shared on Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialFootballFeed/posts/490462681159332:0

Some nice comments, the odd idiot scattered about. And a few Arsenal fans moaning about waiting 12 years for the title. Even, we'll have waited 132 years if we fall short this year.

We should protest at the Norwich game! 132 years. It's a disgrace!