Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Leicester’s success could spell disaster

http://www.footyplace.com/features/leicesters-success-could-end-up-spelling-disaster-0207330408

However, with the possibility of the Premier League losing its fourth place qualifying spot, because of the decline of performances by English teams and the continued improvement of teams from Germany and Italy, is Leicester’s likely qualification really a good thing for English football?

Domestically speaking, and certainly for neutrals, Leicester’s up-rise is extremely entertaining and exciting. However, in Europe it could spell disaster for the reputation of English football.

Embed from Getty Images

It’s no secret that currently Leicester’s squad is not good enough in terms of depth and quality to seriously compete in the Champions League. It would be imperative that owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha would have to splash the cash in the summer if he wanted his team to compete in both the league and Europe’s biggest domestic competition.

However, if Leicester do qualify they may not find it difficult to entice players that are not getting Champions League football at their current clubs to join them on their journey.

However, in my opinion, although admittedly Leicester have been incredibly entertaining, and a joy to watch, I worry about the reputation of our league.

Although the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, and any other English club have failed to make an impression on the competition in recent years, I feel that they are in a much better position financially and in terms of their squads to make an impact in the competition.

The European coefficient is calculated over a few years, the reason the PL is in danger of losing a CL slot is because these teams with squads better equipped to cope with europe aren't coping with it, and haven't been for a few years now.

Whatever happens with us and Europe I couldn't give a crap how it effects our European coefficient we are where we are on merit and if we qualify for the CL then that is because we have been one of the best teams over a whole season. If we are in danger of screwing up the European coefficient what about, Spurs, Man City, Arsenal who have been worse than us so far this season? Maybe we don't deserve a 4th CL spot because the English teams just aren't good enough.

• Like 1

We have virtually all the front 'page' of La Gazette dello Sport this morning.

http://www.gazzetta.it/?refresh_ce

Google translate should dish up some more gems chaps!

Watched the match yesterday with a mate who I took to see QPR-Leicester (0-1 Vardy) in our promotion year.  Now follows us big time.

Fabio Capello was one of the commentators on there TV here. Even he had some grudging words of respect for Leicester.

Obviously we wouldn't be getting quite so much coverage here if there wasn't Claudio at the helm but all the same, the press here is bonkers for le volpi.

http://www.footyplace.com/features/leicesters-success-could-end-up-spelling-disaster-0207330408

However, with the possibility of the Premier League losing its fourth place qualifying spot, because of the decline of performances by English teams and the continued improvement of teams from Germany and Italy, is Leicester’s likely qualification really a good thing for English football?

Domestically speaking, and certainly for neutrals, Leicester’s up-rise is extremely entertaining and exciting. However, in Europe it could spell disaster for the reputation of English football.

It’s no secret that currently Leicester’s squad is not good enough in terms of depth and quality to seriously compete in the Champions League. It would be imperative that owner Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha would have to splash the cash in the summer if he wanted his team to compete in both the league and Europe’s biggest domestic competition.

However, if Leicester do qualify they may not find it difficult to entice players that are not getting Champions League football at their current clubs to join them on their journey.

However, in my opinion, although admittedly Leicester have been incredibly entertaining, and a joy to watch, I worry about the reputation of our league.

Although the likes of Manchester United, Arsenal, and any other English club have failed to make an impression on the competition in recent years, I feel that they are in a much better position financially and in terms of their squads to make an impact in the competition.

Yes we probably will spend money if we get to the Champions League, but it frustrates me that people think this is the only solution for us to be competitive- being the common club and spending a lorry load of money.

Without our squad togetherness, we wouldn't be where we are now. That's priceless.

Team gets in amongst the top 4 while spending less than most mid-table outfits.  But they won't stay there unless they spend big?  We'll stick to our approach and they can stick to being wrong ta vm.

This season for our club must be one of the most profitable (relative to spend) ever, for any English club. Our expenditure across the board is fairly low (wages, transfer fees etc) compared to ANY other side and, whilst we haven't particularly made much money on player sales, the TV deal is a huge windfall. Not to mention all the extras from next year's CL and the massive effect this will have on the owner's business.

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/10159081/leicester-fairytale-continues

This morning's edited highlights of the hacks begrudgingly giving us some praise on The Sunday Suppository.

Journalists who all got their analysis wrong at the start of the season and changed the goal posts every week about why we would drop down yet haven't say we now have a chance.  

I couldn't care about 90% of journalists opinions regarding us.

I love CR's reaction yesterday when asked about the bookies making us favorites, he said he was the favorite to be sacked first.

If Leicester's success makes our supposed big boys re-assess their complacent ways, which you'd imagine it might, then I don't get how it can be a bad thing.

I'd trust Leicester to make a better fist of it than most of them have as well. We can actually defend.

I think it might be the kick up the arse a lot of them needed. They've been on the decline for years. They've completely embraced this mentality that you can spend your way to success.