Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Proper hypocrite moment here after moaning about the coverage we receive, but when looking at the WBA forum to see their response to yesterday's coin throwing I came across their Leicester away thread.

Boy are they bitter

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=18155.0

Jesus, they have weird fans, and always have in my experience. One of them doesn't want us to win the league because of the way we beat them in October, you know, when we completely bossed them. They should be grateful they got two goals out of that. 

I don't think anyone voluntarily takes bottom of the league.

That being the case, being entertaining and bottom of the league is still infinitely preferable to being boring and bottom of the league. We'd take boring and 17th for a while but we wouldn't be very happy with that season after season. A relegation followed by a promotion campaign might start to look a bit more attractive then especially if it meant getting rid of someone like Pulis.

".....most teams are beaten before kick off at the King Power these days."

Very true.

And Was thought he was getting away with it....

arsenal fans order "chicken curry" at the indian

Also bubble & squeak

Arsenal fans go out for a Chinese and just eat chips because they 'don't trust that foreign stuff'

To be fair chips from a chinese are quality. Peanut oil i think it is that they use..... plus they do a nice curry sauce...

• Like 2

That being the case, being entertaining and bottom of the league is still infinitely preferable to being boring and bottom of the league. We'd take boring and 17th for a while but we wouldn't be very happy with that season after season. A relegation followed by a promotion campaign might start to look a bit more attractive then especially if it meant getting rid of someone like Pulis.

There's nothing more boring than losing every week. Also the amount of money involved in relegation means if you don't go straight back up within 2 years you'll probably be down there for years. Give me survival any day.

http://www2.premierleague.com/en-gb/news/news/2015-16/feb/220216-reasons-why-leicester-city-can-win-league-title.html?

Monday 22 February 2016

Favourable run-in can help Leicester claim shock title Only two of leaders' 12 remaining opponents have taken any points off them this season
cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

Jamie Vardy is the leading goalscorer in the Barclays Premier League with 19 goals

With six points separating the top four in the Barclays Premier League, premierleague.com picks out three reasons for each side to be hopeful of becoming champions and three to make them fearful of losing out. After Manchester City, Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur, Leicester City's title credentials are examined.

Reasons why Leicester can win the title

The run-in
Leicester City appear to have a better run of fixtures than their rivals in the final 12 matchweeks of the season, with seven of them at home.

The leaders have played Spurs, Arsenal and Man City twice apiece. Of their remaining opponents, only Southampton and Manchester United have prevented Claudio Ranieri's team from taking maximum points in the reverse fixture.

Leicester's run-in

v West Brom (H)
v Watford (A)
v Newcastle (H)
v Crystal Palace (A)
v Southampton (H) 
v Sunderland (A)
v West Ham (H)
v Swansea (H)
v Man Utd (A)
v Everton (H)
v Chelsea (A)

Their most challenging sequence appears to be their final three matches, when they travel to Old Trafford, host Everton and go to a revived Chelsea. But by this time Leicester could have established an unassailable lead.

That and the fact that Leicester are the only top-four side with no other competitions to concern them would make their run-in the most favourable.

In charge at the right time
Despite their heartbreaking defeat at Arsenal, Leicester remained top by two points and history suggests that this is a good omen for the Foxes.

Only seven of the 23 teams to have led at this stage of previous seasons have failed to go on to win the league.

Undisruptable
Leicester's title charge has been built on their attacking prowess.

No side have scored more than their 47 goals, with Jamie Vardy (19 goals) and Riyad Mahrez (14 goals) offering their key threat.

Their shortcomings were in defence but this has improved since the turn of the year, as shown by the way their 10 men held out for so long at Arsenal and by the four goals conceded in their last seven matches.

Thanks to a lack of injuries Ranieri has bred a tight unit, making just 21 line-up changes this season, 13 fewer than any other side and 48 less than Man City. If this can be continued and Vardy and Mahrez stay fit, the Foxes' togetherness, forged in their unlikely escape from relegation last season, can spur them to a first Barclays Premier League crown.

Three reasons Leicester may not win the league
cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

Despite the defeat by Arsenal Leicester remain two points clear at the top

Do fairytales really come true?
While 16 of 23 clubs to have led after 26 matches won the title, some of the exceptions bear a resemblance to Leicester's story.

Chief among them are Norwich City in 1992/93 and Newcastle United in 1995,96. Like Leicester, Mike Walker and Kevin Keegan's teams defied the odds to top the standings at this stage of their respective campaigns, but eventually missed out, with Man Utd winning on each occasion.

There is little chance of United denying the latest outsiders this time, but Spurs and Arsenal are just two points adrift with Man City, a further four back, also waiting for a slip-up from the Foxes.

Overreliance on players?
As mentioned above, Ranieri has called upon fewer players than any rivals. The Leicester manager has been fortunate not to have been without Vardy and Mahrez, as well as other stars such as Marc Albrighton and N'Golo Kante, for long periods through injury this term.

Read: Experience can boost Man City's title hopes >>

Read: Arsenal title chances require finishing touch >>

Read: Spurs bid built on solid defence >>

With Leicester facing fewer matches than their rivals for the run-in, the chances of their key players getting injured are reduced.

But should Leicester's luck change and one of these stars were to pull up and be forced out a few weeks it would require a big change for Ranieri.

Reverting to mean?
Not only are Leicester defying expectations this season, but it would seem their results are defying statistics, too.

Expected goals (or xG, see here) measure how many goals an average team should have scored based on the number and quality of shots they created. They have been a reliable form of measuring how a team are performing and will fare over a season.

In this metric, Leicester are overperforming. Analysis of the quality of shots they have taken and faced by Paul Riley show Leicester are scoring more and conceding fewer than they should have this season, according to the data.

xG for* Goals for xG
against*
Goals against Leicester 41.6 48 35.7 29 Spurs 48.6 47 23.7 20 Arsenal 47.5 41 26.9 23 Man City 47.0 48 28.2 28

*from Paul Riley's model

Not only are Leicester converting more shots than they should be, but their opponents in matches are worse at converting their chances. Compared with their rivals' expected goal difference, Leicester are bucking the trend the most.

The law of averages would suggest that a reversion to the 'xG' mean in Leicester's remaining 12 matches would be accompanied by a drop in their points return.

But Ranieri's men have been all about defying the odds this season and who would bet against that carrying on for 12 more matches?

Too much ott detail, too much in depth analysing, on just a game of football.

Outsiders, pundits looking for any excuse to down the running success of Leicesters season.

Running scared that the party poopers, just might upset the ..Status Quo.

oh they'll accept top 4, but you see , they couldnt explain the title.

The smile of, Claudio, the 40pts reasoning from Claudio, the fans can dream from Claudio,

the one game at a time from Claudio, the ethos and character from within the squad .

The opposition fans around the world, pulling for this team to realise their dreams too.

To put it in this topics words, with slight tick ..........' the-do- I- mean- us- thread'.

We will grab the title because of something nobody wants to say or believe...

WE REALLY ARE SOOOO GOOD ENOUGH, we are a DAMN GOOD TEAM with top Skillfull players.

oh we have conned everybody, to believe what they themselves want to believe.

There's nothing more boring than losing every week. Also the amount of money involved in relegation means if you don't go straight back up within 2 years you'll probably be down there for years. Give me survival any day.

Easy to say that now, but your attitude might be different after years of boring football with no hope of change on the horizon and let's not forget, losing pretty much every week to be 17th in the first place seeing as you mentioned it. Sometimes, you have to take a step back to make the leap forwards or you stay stuck where you are, forever. I can't think of anything more boring or depressing than that and it wouldn't be too long before we're playing in front of a half empty stadium.

But hey, we'd be in the Premier League, raking in loads of tv money but it isn't doing any good if we're stuck in 17th playing boring football for years is it?

I'd rather have been a West Brom fan when they went up, down, up, down and up again than be one now, bored to tears and chucking coins at their own players.

the 2-5 game vs arsenal this year was a lot more fun than the 0-0 vs hull last year, for example.

the 2-5 game vs arsenal this year was a lot more fun than the 0-0 vs hull last year, for example.

Will you still feel the same when you get the same result against Bolton wanderers the following season?

Edited by Webbo

Will you still feel the same when you get the same result against Bolton wanderers the following season?

we'd beat Bolton though that's the point. I'd rather go up, stay up having a go, reluctantly go down all guns blazing and then start again than go up, draw 0-0, draw 0-0, win 1-0 from a corner, draw 0-0, have no shots on target for 4 games in a row, finish 17th and do that every season until I'm an old man.

footballs all about the ups and downs, the excitement, the drama. not finishing 16th on goal difference and "being hard to beat" every week for the rest of my life.

• Like 2

we'd beat Bolton though that's the point. I'd rather go up, stay up having a go, reluctantly go down all guns blazing and then start again than go up, draw 0-0, draw 0-0, win 1-0 from a corner, draw 0-0, have no shots on target for 4 games in a row, finish 17th and do that every season until I'm an old man.

footballs all about the ups and downs, the excitement, the drama. not finishing 16th on goal difference and "being hard to beat" every week for the rest of my life.

Have to agree scouse. Can't imagine what its like to be a west brom fan?

At least with Leicester we look forward to every game

It's a difficult one. It's meant to be entertainment, and from that perspective there is only so much of finishing 17th people will take. You only have to look at the dropping attendances at places like West Brom and Villa to show what constant struggle can do.

Where's the fun? Yeah the club get a load of cash, but what benefit as a fan do you see? You get to watch your team get whooped most weeks and the best bits become the odd scraped win against a top team. The season we lost to Watford in the play offs, despite ending in failure would be a damn site more entertaining that being in the premier league and regularly finishing around 17th year after year.

On the flip side, you feel like you're always in with a chance of perhaps climbing the league with cash you're getting and ten years of failure in the championship can be equally as frustrating as constant struggle in the premier league.

I think I'd take the ups and downs than finishing 17th for every season here on in. What's the point? Going through the utter garbage of relegation and struggle, makes things like what we're experiencing now even better.

Edited by Babylon

be interesting to know what the baggies fans think about it. dont know any myself, and im not sure their forum is best place to gather their opinons. anyone have any insight from wba mates?

think the fact they're lobbing coins at their own players probably gives a small insight into their feelings towards their club atm