Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Ha, that Forest forum makes for a hilarious read, 99% bitter and jealous posts, living off past glories, they're a bang average Champo side now and looks like they will be for many years to come.

A Millwall fan said that to me about Leicester once

I know that Forest like to live in the past and that's all one big joke.

But surely they realise that if we win the league it will be the single most greatest Footballing feat this Country's top division has ever seen?

There is a reason that nobody outside the top 3 has gone on to win the league the following season since the inception of the Premier League. It's because it's bloody difficult. Entering the top 4 was a bit of a regularity in Forest's days.

They always go on about spending no money as well, well the UK transfer record was £500k.... and when they got promoted they spent 250k alone on Shilton, plus money on a few others. Then they broke the transfer record on Francis the year after. So... it's a bit like us spending £80m after getting promoted and then another £80m the season after, in terms of cash that's in the game.

Wanted to put something in on money spent but couldn't remember the figures.

Imagine thinking a time where players played in workboots and were free to drink & smoke is comparable to a time when some of the world's elite footballers on superhuman diet and training regimes are taken on by a team collected for £20-30 million, about ten times less than the elite teams, who are generally outcasts or lower league recruits.

As for their six game 'European Cup'... Yeah, so much like the Champion's League eh...

It  was also a time when you could lose 10  games and still win the league, Derby 74-75,

75-76 Liverpool won it with 60 points, 23-14-5 failing to win 45% of your games and still winning the league

76-77 Liverpool lost 8 games 23 - 11- 8

When Forest won it they were very impressive only losing 3, but still a lot of draws, 25-14-3

Anyone who says that us winning the league isn't at least on a par with Forest winning the league is an idiot, you can try and argue that one is better than the other, but it is impossible to judge as things have changed so much in the 40  years since Forest did it.

Their European Cup wins, as much as the Champions League is a hell of a lot tougher than the European Cup are still impressive feats. Nobody can take that away from them and us winning the league once will not be a greater achievement than a club winning the league and two European cups in consecutive years (including a runners up  medal in the league).

Imagine thinking a time where players played in workboots and were free to drink & smoke is comparable to a time when some of the world's elite footballers on superhuman diet and training regimes are taken on by a team collected for £20-30 million, about ten times less than the elite teams, who are generally outcasts or lower league recruits.

As for their six game 'European Cup'... Yeah, so much like the Champion's League eh...

It was only five games. :)

They beat Liverpool on aggregate (as we have done this season). Then the mighty AEK Athens in the second round, Grasshoppers, Cologne in the semi, and then narrowly beat Malmo in the final with a goal from the most expensive British player of all time, and a clean sheet from the most expensive goalkeeper of all time...

So today, that's like winning the Europa League with Gareth Bale and Manuel Neuer in your side. WELL DONE FOREST!!

And this in an era when English clubs routinely walked through European competition.

Don't get me wrong - it's a decent enough achievement. But I think our current achievement eclipses theirs already - regardless of whether we go on and win the League or not.

Edited by Fox Ulike

I'm glad we're not one of those clubs that can only talk about past achievements. Forest for example are now just an average Championship team that are becoming more forgettable to the world each year. The only thing they seem to 'have on us' is that they have a rival and we don't, which for a Leicester fan nowadays means **** all.

"Yeah they just beat teams worth £100m+ plus that have dominated for decades to be favourites for the title and play in the Champions League, BUT THEY THINK WE'RE RIVALS BUT WE ONLY HATE DERBY WHEEEYY.

P.s should we invite Leicester for a pre-season game in the Summer? It would be great for our revenues and people will remember us"

Also, I can't wait to be the first team in football history to win the title based on 'luck' and nothing else!

You can't knock Forest for the way they won the European Cup--a team can only beat what they have in front of them, and that's just the way they crowned the Champions of Europe back.

And as for the 10 losses to win the league stuff, there were 4 more games in the league, and what many fans wouldn't give to have that type of parity today (the 2 pts for a win system aside).

If you want to belittle these things, just don't go into any other threads and bemoan that football ain't what it used to be.

I'd say Forest fans would do well to let the past be the past, but maybe that also applies to us at a smaller extent. If we want to make fun of Forest, we have plenty of material to work with at this moment!

Edited by Jordan
  • Like 1

If we win the league it will be a greater achievement than Forest's title but not their 2 European Cups.

If we won the European Cup next season however (wonder what the odds are for this right now lol ) then it would be a greater achievement then Forest's two European Cups in my view.

I'm glad we're not one of those clubs that can only talk about past achievements. Forest for example are now just an average Championship team that are becoming more forgettable to the world each year. The only thing they seem to 'have on us' is that they have a rival and we don't, which for a Leicester fan nowadays means **** all.

You realize that next time we're an average Championship team we're going to be one of those clubs that only talk about past achievements now right?

• Like 1

What Forest did in the last century was great, much like Uruguay winning two World Cup's.

But it was a different era and things have moved on. If Leicester win the title this year it will be one of the greatest achievements in modern sport. It will be talked about all over the world, for generations to come.

That's good enough for me. The bitter Forest fans are just a bonus.

Just had a read through that Forest thread, my favourite part was that guy who has 1982 in his username (presumably when he was born), banging on about how great his beloved team were 5 years before he was born. 

I really don't get people who weren't actually around bragging about these things.

that forest forum is grim. i know people like to say the whole "football was invented in 92 u know Iol banter #sky #loI" but they say it in every single post because they have barely existed since before the premier league. 

as i've said before, nobody of my generation even knows what nottingham forest is. people these days think of nottingham forest alongside teams like huddersfield, hull, burnley etc. some shit arse championship club who have a few thousand fans, no good players and are going to finish mid table in the championship forever. 

You can't knock Forest for the way they won the European Cup--a team can only beat what they have in front of them, and that's just the way they crowned the Champions of Europe back.

And as for the 10 losses to win the league stuff, there were 4 more games in the league, and what many fans wouldn't give to have that type of parity today (the 2 pts for a win system aside).

If you want to belittle these things, just don't go into any other threads and bemoan that football ain't what it used to be.

I'd say Forest fans would do well to let the past be the past, but maybe that also applies to us at a smaller extent. If we want to make fun of Forest, we have plenty of material to work with at this moment!

The teams winning the league despite losing 10 games is relevant as it shows that there was more parity and not the domination by a select few we have seen in recent times, that is the equivalent of losing 9 games in a 20 team league.

Nobody this century has won the league losing more than 6 games only one team has won it losing 6 times, but teams were a lot more evenly  matched in the 70s and Forest capitalised on it with a great record that season, but it shows a different era without the domination by 4 clubs.

It's like Richard Krajicek winning Wimbledon in the 90s, an impressive achievement, as opposed to an un-seeded player winning a grand slam in recent times when you had 4 outstanding men's tennis players in Djokovic, Nadal, Murray and Federer, which would have been miraculous.

You realize that next time we're an average Championship team we're going to be one of those clubs that only talk about past achievements now right?

That's not positive thinking, But yes, that would probably happen but we're not one right now so my point still stands. 

I'd be feeling pretty shit if our biggest rivals were a laughing stock for sacking their manager, promoting the kids coach and banging on about a much ridiculed "way of playing" yet still sit 15 points ahead of us in the second division.

I don't know if this has been posted - did a search and couldn't find it - but this BBC post from earlier in the week is interesting: http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35739231. Over the past 38 games (since the start of "the greatest escape") we're 11 points ahead of our nearest challengers, Man City.

People talk about Forest living in the past but if we do win the Premier League this season, I'm never going to shut up about it!!!

I was going to say the same sort of thing.

If we had won the Champions League (... twice) we'd all still be banging on about it now.