Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

It would be great if they won it by something like six points so people cannot say they have nicked it, but those who say this is the biggest turnaround by a team in the space of a year are wrong.

The best achievement like that was when Nottingham Forest won the title as a newly promoted team in 1978. That usurps Leicester, but only just.

Lawro you're such a bellend

I don't know why one has to be over the other. Can't they both be great? In modern day football with all this money nobody thought a club such as Leicester could "break the top four". Usually it's only money that can break the top four - lets face it, Chelsea and Manchester City wouldn't be where they are without their bankrolled owners. I take nothing away from Blackburn either but Walker spent a lot of money to ensure they were a big club again. Managed by a genius in Kenny Dalglish of course, but the likes of Sherwood, Sutton, Shearer all cost a lot of money.... Weren't Flowers and Shearer both record-breaking transfers??

You can look back through history at clubs that broke records... Forest, Huddersfield, Ipswich, Liverpool, Blackburn... all superb achievements and ours would be up there too. 

Edited by Fox92

Lawro you're such a bellend

It's almost like he couldn't cope with having to predict a win that he had to have a dig.

He hates us and I love it.

Also he is wrong, football is full of incidents of promoted teams doing better than expected because they have momentum and a winning mentality, it is much harder to foster a winning mentality when bottom of the league by 7 points.

Promoted teams often out perform the teams that just survive (Bournemouth and Watford doing better than Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland).

Being bottom by 7 and a year later top by 5 is better than being top of one division and then top of the higher division a year later (and before pedantry kicks in, I know Notts Florist weren't top of Division 2 and only really scraped up when they got promoted, but the point remains a bigger turn around is rooted to  the bottom to clear at the top of the league than promoted to top of the league).

• Like 2

I was absolutely shitting myself when I decided to click on that at work. Thankfully no harm done!

Surely that would be out the Arse.  :ph34r:

Edited by Steven

It's almost like he couldn't cope with having to predict a win that he had to have a dig.

He hates us and I love it.

Also he is wrong, football is full of incidents of promoted teams doing better than expected because they have momentum and a winning mentality, it is much harder to foster a winning mentality when bottom of the league by 7 points.

Promoted teams often out perform the teams that just survive (Bournemouth and Watford doing better than Villa, Newcastle and Sunderland).

Being bottom by 7 and a year later top by 5 is better than being top of one division and then top of the higher division a year later (and before pedantry kicks in, I know Notts Florist weren't top of Division 2 and only really scraped up when they got promoted, but the point remains a bigger turn around is rooted to  the bottom to clear at the top of the league than promoted to top of the league).

Exactly this.

The thing about Forest's achievement is that it's not unique. It's rare that a promoted team goes on to win the League in their first season. But Ipswich did it in 1962. Even as late as 1983, Watford finished 2nd after being newly promoted.

They are great achievements but not unique.

However, the thing about our achievement is that, as far as I know, it will be unique.

In the entire history of the football league, has a team that was bottom of the league in Spring, gone on to win the title the following season?

If not, then clearly this trumps Forest's achievement because as Ipswich showed, to win the league in your first season is not a once-in-a-lifetime event.

Edited by Fox Ulike

How is winning the title after promotion a turnaround? That's a continuation (although magnificent) of a successful season before. Turning around from bottom of the table and adrift to top and clear is completely different.

Lawro talking bollocks again.

• Like 3

We haven't won anything yet, so that forest team has achieved far more than we have. Probably better to have the arguement if we win it

100% this. You cannot belittle what Forest did. It was an incredible achievement. Whether it stacks up against Leicester winning the league is a moot point until we actually do so.