Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

'For months the doubters and sceptics have expected them to slip back to their rightful place.'

And it's precisely this narrative, this obscene sense of entitlement that's been pissing me off all season. They are ****ing in their rightful place, through raw talent, team spirit, grit and graft. The 'doubters and sceptics' largely consist of those that see the old order threatened and the profligate empire and hegemony built by agents, opportunists and very often hype, now exposed.

I loved the way that after the Watford victory Claudio was quick to dismiss any suggestion of nerves in the squad. Retorting, - the ones that should be nervous are the ones that have spent large amounts of money to win this league.

I get that anger. I think it's just lazy writing, he thinks the words 'what they consider to be' are implicit. I'd agree with you that they're not, however.

Altman stressed that his presentation was not a comprehensive master plan to stopping Leicester but a small snapshot showing how deeply mining data, along with using more traditional methods such as video analysis, could help teams potentially develop an edge.

So in essence, it's another attempt at trying to figure out - with the help of stats and data - how to stop us. Somehow.

Analysis is one side of the coin, you've also got to be able to implement that in your own team's strategy.

And even if they should succeed at stopping us in one way or another during a match, that doesn't mean Ranieri and his team can't adjust our tactics accordingly at half-time.

Edited by MC Prussian

Why is everyone so precious? If there isn't an article saying LEICESTER CITY ARE THE GREATEST TEAM THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN THE END everyone seems to get upset and pick holes in it.

This is life at the top, everyone is talking about us, everyone is looking for an angle.

• Like 2

Why is everyone so precious? If there isn't an article saying LEICESTER CITY ARE THE GREATEST TEAM THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN THE END everyone seems to get upset and pick holes in it.

This is life at the top, everyone is talking about us, everyone is looking for an angle.

Absolutely this.

It's a bit cringe worthy to be honest. 

What is very interesting about this article is "the conclusion" being presented is largely based on the data gathered through the early part of the season.

The piece even goes on to say how we've adapted to play against "the conclusion" with a degree of success, therefore all the article hasn't actually come up with a solution.

Let's just hope nobody actually does come up with an alround solution for at least 9 or so games hey!

EXTRA BIT: Let's not try to moan at articles about us too much. Some fans are in danger of becoming like those of the North London twins that they also dispise!

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond

I do agree, although my own observations were not directed at the article at all, rather the lazy and arrogant rhetoric and sense of entitlement prevalent amongst the supposed 'elite', the media and some sections of supporters.

Totally agree, i bet there isn't another thread on any football forum in the whole world entitled Do they mean us!

American style over analysis kills off the game. See what has happened to Baseball. 

The same people who did it said that us winning the league isn't as unpredictable as people are making out. They seem to look at spreadsheets and stats and have very little feeling for the game itself.

The main argument I've seen against it is that it would be 'embarrassing for the league' - it's almost like people haven't even noticed our sides getting shafted annually in Europe, and to be honest I'd argue the fact Leicester have pushed them all this far was 'embarrassing' enough.

http://m.independent.ie/opinion/columnists/declan-lynch/doping-a-keen-eye-for-the-completely-obvious-34534958.html

Do they mean us? They don't specifically name us but read that last paragraph and it's pretty obvious this **** is calling us out while staying just the right side of the defamation laws.

Course they do... because you know PEDs fix hamstrings and we run around more than anyone else (other than about 8 other premier league teams).

Course they do... because you know PEDs fix hamstrings and we run around more than anyone else (other than about 8 other premier league teams).

Yes and our sudden improvement this time a year ago was obviously a few days after we started doping. Instant impact.

The main argument I've seen against it is that it would be 'embarrassing for the league' - it's almost like people haven't even noticed our sides getting shafted annually in Europe, and to be honest I'd argue the fact Leicester have pushed them all this far was 'embarrassing' enough.

Probably the same lot who bang on about other leagues having only two teams who can win it and how predictable it is.

That's definitely the perception from the outside and obviously these journalists can't be arsed to do basic research, or worse, omit the statistics that don't fit the story-arc of the huge, dirty secret bubbling just under the surface.

The line that got me was, 'I see teams showing astronomical levels of improvement and putting it down to team spirit...'. I'm not a paranoid person but there is no doubt in my mind that is aimed at us. Who else could it be about? 

The comments are more interesting. People don't understand the details we are a club are going through to make that extra 1%. Clearly some City fans on there trying to educate, but the majority just dont get it.

Will we perform in Europe? Who knows. But we are pretty much nearly there to securing having a chance, which is better than a number of the 'big clubs' who play 'European' style football.

First they came for the athletes, the runners, the jumpers and the throwers and the weightlifters, until no one believed a thing that they were seeing at the Olympic Games.

Then they came for the cyclists, and they're still coming for them, with perfectly good reason, and they'll be coming soon for a few more of the tennis players, and for the extraordinarily large men of rugby.

But when they come for football - that's when we will all be tested.

They probably should have come for football a long time ago, but perhaps it is the sport that is too big to fail - which is both a deterrent to investigators and an encouragement for the worst of men. It would involve a challenge, not just to individual careers, but to the most profound and uplifting belief-system of the age.

And of course, I have no evidence at all for this - though I do have a keen eye for the completely obvious.

I haven't personally examined the famous 200 bags of blood and plasma that have been in a freezer in Spain since 2006, but I have seen football teams routinely running around with tremendous levels of enthusiasm when their opponents, who are also highly trained professionals, seem to be shattered.

I see players recovering from injuries much more quickly than other players with the same injuries, I see teams showing astronomical levels of improvement and putting it down to team spirit...

But, no doubt 99.9pc of it is perfectly fine.

Sunday Independent

The relevant bit for those who don't want to give cretins like the "journalist" the clicks.

He does have a point, but the little dig at the end is unnecessary, our key stats are not that much different, it is not like we are running twice as much as any other team, Vardy wasn't slow last season, Morgan had the highest number of blocks last season and Kante was top tackler and interceptor last season.

It is also worth mentioning that there is nobody in the club that puts it down to team spirit, our fitness and resistance to injury is down to state of the art facilities and investment in sports science. We are seeing the rewards of being at the forefront of sports science.

Of course I am not naïve enough to suggest that there isn't any doping in football, but if there was anything going on on a club wide level then I'm pretty sure there would have been enough disgruntled and pissed off ex-players and staff members that would be all too happy to stick the boot in and get paid for a juicy expose.

• Like 2

I like the idea that we've been doing PEDs and just played deliberately shit for 9 months last season to con the authorities.

Or that we only started doing them in March last year and there was an immediate improvement. And then the big secret survived significant turnover in the squad, disgruntled players and a change in managerial regime.

And that it has improved Mahrez' decision making and Vardy's finishing.

Basically it all makes perfect sense.

Another thing is we were phenomenal at the start of the season, anyone remember the Man United game, draws with Arsenal and Everton and a very good performance at Chelsea.

This current run is not the anomaly, the anomaly was last season, was caused by Pearson trying to change what we were good at just destroying the confidence, and confusing the players with odd tactics and formations, and failing to stop the slide.

We got promoted after smashing the Championship, we had 2 very good spells of form last season and one abysmal run, where we had no luck and played well below our usual standard.

Of course nobody saw this season coming, but in the recent games against Norwich, Watford and West Brom do we really look like an incredibly different side to last season or the season before? Look at our possession and passing stats, are they the stats of a team doping? Or are they the stats of a team that has found a different way, one which hasn't been countered.

Finally look at Chelsea, Man U, Arsenal, Man City with their performances, is it really that surprising that we are ahead of them, or is every other team in the league doping too except for the big four?

The comments are more interesting. People don't understand the details we are a club are going through to make that extra 1%. Clearly some City fans on there trying to educate, but the majority just dont get it.

Will we perform in Europe? Who knows. But we are pretty much nearly there to securing having a chance, which is better than a number of the 'big clubs' who play 'European' style football.

That Arsenal supporter "sploosh" is particularly fascinating.

Arsenal are England's most technical team and most European in style, I mean they beat Leicester both times this season.

Barca ... play quick beautiful football, the can score with two passes or 10, or even 20. They can play slow or fast, it's called game management and it's the reason Leicester will get battered in the Champions League next year(look at Arsenal results against them this year to work out how they will do against European opponents)

Shows the signs of a typically deluded Gunners fan who can't even understand the logic of Leicester probably playing in Europe next season irrespective of us becoming PL champions or not.

Takes Arsenal's two wins against us as a marker for how good Arsenal really are. I'm speechless. Sir, your team just got dumped out of the FA Cup by Watford FC. Watford!

Edited by MC Prussian

it's a great complment to the staff and players that the opposition think we are so good it can't be due to natural talent but through PEDs.

As a Leicester player hearing journalists or opposition murmurs about us, it would make me feel even more invincible. This would confirm the beleif in my heart with certainty that "I am all that!"