Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

This is the most ridiculous thing of all. Imagine being told last summer that not only would Leicester City be seven points clear with six games left but that a lot of people would be mainly concerned with how strong that meant the league had been, worrying how they'd do in the Champions League for the co-efficient and being sniffy about how many games they'd won 1-0 in the space of a month.

Instead of thinking "this is the greatest story in the history of team sport and I'm so lucky to be alive to witness it".

• Like 1

The comments about it not being a good league relates to the overall standard of football being played. I'm not sure I agree.

I would say that there hasn't been an outstanding team re flair up top and security at the back as Chelsea were in the first half of last season. our second half points tally could well be comparable but our style has had to be adjusted to ensure results are in our favour.

would love to get to a standard points winning number (83/85) so that the argument that the league is weak cannot be backed up in that way. If we win with 78 then the argument will have some traction for many pundits. (And they'll make it)

Turned on football today and Scott Parker who looked miserable throughout the 10 minutes I endured and Glenn Hoddle were on. Spurs are the best team in the league, better team than Leicester, not a good league this year because of how it's turned out so far. Who do they think they are?

On paper, they may have the better players. But that's when most Spurs fans mistake fantasy for reality.

The truth is on the pitch and visible as presented in the league standings.

A question.............................

If it's not a good league this year why are they not winning it?

A question rarely asked of those who expound this theory, and when asked never answered with anything but spluttering waffle until the questioner takes pity on them and interrupts to get them out of the hole of their own making.  Tellingly, the only pundit with a Spurs connection who I've seen be reasonable or even fair about City is Jermaine Jenas, who is middle of the road about almost everything.

People fail to understand the equilibrium of a league. Like ooh Arsenal, Man United and Chelsea haven't won as much as usual it must be a shit league. Never mind the fact that they all have at least as strong a team as last year....doesn't that suggest that actually the rest of the league has gotten stronger? 

Those criticising probably see it as an opportunity to get some media attention. So many people praising us, bound to be a few who want to be 'controversial' , common theme they are the usual suspects who are generally crap when talking about football in general.

What the fvck is a bad/weak league? Was last year a strong league? Chelsea bullied their way to the title from the start (with the same players they are now struggling with) and everyone else was just going through the motions, if it hadn't been for our great escape it would have been the most predictable final league table ever.

Are we talking about the quality of the players? The same quality is there as last season and then some Kante, Payet, Wijnaldum, Shakiri, Rondon have been great additions to the league the difference is they are not playing for the big clubs. The difference is the quality is more evenly dispersed than previous seasons, the gap between the haves and the have nots has disappeared, there are no poor clubs in the league any more and the big clubs can't just splash the cash and sign any player they want.

This is the strongest the league has been as a whole, but the positions of the stronger clubs have weakened, here and in Europe, this is not down to quality  or strength it is down to intensity. Every game in the PL is a battle (except Villa, but even Villa would beat Troyes) which means you can't switch off or you drop points, we are top partly because we have been the most focussed and had the least distractions, we have had a settled team and everyone knows their role. We have kept our first team fit and we have been awesome.  

We have just taken advantage of this chance, and if we win it, whether it is a weak league or a strong one, there will be no * next to our name, they will not engrave Leicester City winners of the weakest premier league in history on the trophy, it will just say winners no different to the Invincible Arsenal team, or the awful United side that won it last, or the Man City team that fluked it in injury time on the last day of the season, or the Blackburn team that bought the title. 

This.

Haven't seen this posted anywhere, although someone might have already...

Usually VICE articles are very derogatory, written by some jumped-up London hipster d**khead that believes anything north of Watford is inherently a run-down post-industrial s**t-hole.

However, this is pretty good, balanced piece on the city itself, and what effect City's achievements are having on it.

"Leicester's Buzzing: One Night in the Underdog City That Could Win The League"

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/leicester

• Like 3

Good read so far, but just read this...

...and it made me shudder. I mean c'mon.

Ah, yeah. There's that. Also the geography's all over the place, and Leicester is repeatedly referred to as a 'town'

Haven't seen this posted anywhere, although someone might have already...

Usually VICE articles are very derogatory, written by some jumped-up London hipster d**khead that believes anything north of Watford is inherently a run-down post-industrial s**t-hole.

However, this is pretty good, balanced piece on the city itself, and what effect City's achievements are having on it.

"Leicester's Buzzing: One Night in the Underdog City That Could Win The League"

https://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/Leicester

Good read that, amongst other errors it is the second piece I've read recently that thinks Leicester is south of Birmingham, it isn't...

Is it?

Edited by Captain...

You put any of European TOP teams in the Prem and they'll struggle. No easy 8-0 matches here. Every team wants to defeat you every time they play. Weak league my cough-syruped arse. Getting stronger by the year.

Do you honestly think Bayern or Barca couldn't put 8 past Aston Villa?

Do you honestly think Bayern or Barca couldn't put 8 past Aston Villa?

At the arse end of the season, anything is possible.  the point is a decent one.  barca seem to play 70% of their league games in second gear. if they were in the PL, they would have to play 40% in second gear, 40% in third gear and probably only need to be at their best 20% of the time.  would make a real difference to them by the time they reached the end of march I reckon.  why do you think the worlds best players don't play in the PL? its not just the crap weather!

When the PL was at its peak around 2006-2010 you'd regularly see Chelsea or Man U put seven or eight past Blackburn/Wigan etc - Premier league clubs are poor in Europe for a number of reasons but I do think the relative strength of the league does make it more difficult for the top teams. I think in terms of pure ability La Liga is the best with the prem next.