Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

Atletico Madrid with 28% possession tonight. Remind you of anyone? lol

Absolutely loved the fact they booted everything out of their area until the 87th minute when the left back marauds forward to win a penalty :D 

Absolutely loved the fact they booted everything out of their area until the 87th minute when the left back marauds forward to win a penalty :D

They're getting a heap of praise from English fans for knocking Barcelona out but we get stick for winning that same way lol low possession, low passing stats, boot every ball into the stand, and play on the counter.

There's only one way of playing football - the winning way.

They're getting a heap of praise from English fans for knocking Barcelona out but we get stick for winning that same way lol low possession, low passing stats, boot every ball into the stand, and play on the counter.

There's only one way of playing football - the winning way.

You're doing us a bit of an injustice there. Winning or not we play exciting football the majority of the time and do pass the ball. Only when we're  off our game are our long balls aimless.

You're doing us a bit of an injustice there. Winning or not we play exciting football the majority of the time and do pass the ball. Only when we're  off our game are our long balls aimless.

I agree. We don't hoof it aimlessly like they accuse us of. We can and do pass it and create openings.

Our possession stats are very low for a side top of the league, as if possession alone wins games. Atletico are in the Champions League semi finals with 28% possession and they won 2-0.

• Like 1

I agree. We don't hoof it aimlessly like they accuse us of. We can and do pass it and create openings.

Our possession stats are very low for a side top of the league, as if possession alone wins games. Atletico are in the Champions League semi finals with 28% possession and they won 2-0.

i see what you're trying to say and agree to some extent, however im sure the media and "critics" alike would point to, and you could understand, that having a low possession stat against barcelona is a bit different to having newcastle or west brom dominate the ball against you.

• Like 1

Good article on sky sports about atletico and leicester being the best teams at playing without the ball. Apparently the sides with the top players like keep hold of the ball but that leads to more mistakes, so if you can play without the ball you make less errors and the team that makes less errors wins the game.

Edited by yorkie1999

i see what you're trying to say and agree to some extent, however im sure the media and "critics" alike would point to, and you could understand, that having a low possession stat against barcelona is a bit different to having newcastle or west brom dominate the ball against you.

Atletico have low possession stats against Espanyol and Celta Vigo. When they won La Liga few years back they were 9th or 10th in the possession table, below some bang average sides in the bottom half.

Case in point, last weekend Atletico beat Betis 5-1 and they only had 50% possession.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35928637

I'm sure Atletico get a lot of hate in Spain, but I'm glad they are successful like this.

I look at it as a players vs tactics debate.

The richest clubs can afford the best players and can rely a little less on tactics.

The financially challenged clubs can't compete on the player front so have to rely more on the tactical side of the game to give them an advantage.

If you crack both, you have a super club like the traditional European giants.

If you get both wrong, you end up with Villa

THE LEICESTER EFFECT

Every coach & football pundit is analysing it - is it a theory, is it a method.... or is it just a blink when all the planetary (players?) aligned for a once in a life-time outcome & never to be repeated ?

An excellent article in the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2016/apr/13/leicester-city-effect-premier-league-claudio-ranieri