Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

None of this is real. I must be in some bizarro world since August.

I'm convinced I died back in August when I returned from the USA and this is some form of weird Heaven where I have to work. Maybe its like partial heaven for being partially good in  my 30 years on earth.

• Like 1

Brady can go fvck himself.

Whiny cheating bastard, we don't need people like him behind us.

Also, I don't know if anyone saw Kasper's reaction to it (http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/leicester-city/10243645/a-message-from-schmeichels-hero) but there's a print of Richard Stearman in an England kit on the wall behind him. Can someone take that shite down? We can't seriously be proud of Richard Stearman playing for England U21s.

Edited by ajthefox
  • Like 1

And we have a "freak" in Vardy, you can probably add Kante, Mahrez, Huth to the list of "freaks".

4 players who do certain things exceptionally well, they aren't bad at the other disciplines, but whilst other managers would be concerned by their weaknesses, we play to their strengths.

How are you even comparing any of those to Curry? Closest is Kante in that he is one of the best in the world at what he does but even then, Steph is just on a different planet.

Basketball man. It's basically saying how a club has gone completely against the grain and focussed their entire game plan on scoring 3 pointers, low percentage high reward, such as our direct long passing counter attacking style, and has gone on to win the league.

No mention of PEDs or racism though.

The basketball analytics community has researched this pretty comprehensively, and it's been shown that 3-pointers are higher value shots (well duh, but hear out rest of my sentence) than 2-pointers after you consider probabilities of said shots being made.

I.e., the expected value of a 3-pointer is higher than the expected value of a 2-pointer. So roster construction has shifted towards acquiring players who have those as strengths, players who can shoot 3-pointers at a high clip and/or make high-probability layups often (e.g. LeBron James, Westbrook).

I figure similar research is starting to develop in football in terms of, say, how our back-line is constructed. Back when Rob MacKenzie was here, he said a quote along the lines of "we want experienced, physical defenders" and that's why they targeted Wasyl. They've since continued this philosophy in pairing Wes and Huth together, and have adjusted tactics to encourage crosses, etc.

The basketball analytics community has researched this pretty comprehensively, and it's been shown that 3-pointers are higher value shots (well duh, but hear out rest of my sentence) than 2-pointers after you consider probabilities of said shots being made.

I.e., the expected value of a 3-pointer is higher than the expected value of a 2-pointer. So roster construction has shifted towards acquiring players who have those as strengths, players who can shoot 3-pointers at a high clip and/or make high-probability layups often (e.g. LeBron James, Westbrook).

I figure similar research is starting to develop in football in terms of, say, how our back-line is constructed. Back when Rob MacKenzie was here, he said a quote along the lines of "we want experienced, physical defenders" and that's why they targeted Wasyl. They've since continued this philosophy in pairing Wes and Huth together, and have adjusted tactics to encourage crosses, etc.

This is interesting, because they coaching theory I heard most was that a high percentage of goals came from crosses - therefore defensively teams setup to drive players inside from wide positions, not only to prevent crosses but on the logic that this would drive players into more players, cramping their space.

But with football evolution perhaps what RM has noticed is that teams these days setup to drive inside anyway - so a side doesn't need to proactively setup to show people inside, it just needs to be able to stop crosses when they come in (possibly not as often these days) - and that allows us to maintain a narrow shape to block out the middle.

It's also interesting how more dangerous the cut back inside cross looks for us - I imagine the logic behind this is that a winger has a better base for making a sucessful centre this way, because they won't be moving at speed, unlike say a Lloyd Dyer who hurtles round the side at a 100mph but then has difficulty in controlling the cross (understandable when you think about it).

Edited by DJ Barry Hammond

Robbie Earle is such an ass-kisser.

(Pardon my lingo)

"One of the things that (I think) is very appealing about Leicester City is if you walked around Leicester, you'll only see Leicester City shirts. You won't see Liverpool shirts, Manchester United shirts, Chelsea shirts. And that tells you about the area, how important the club are to the local community."

Have you been to the city two, three years ago, Robbie?

"It's a young team that play lots of progressive football." (we have about the eight-oldest team on average in the PL and don't get me started on the "progressive" part)

That moment when Robbie Earle provides yet another wonderful facepalm moment.

I doubt he's ever seen us play - all he does is summing up matches before or afterwards! :D

Edited by MC Prussian

Robbie Earle is such an ass-kisser.

(Pardon my lingo)

"One of the things that (I think) is very appealing about Leicester City is if you walked around Leicester, you'll only see Leicester City shirts. You won't see Liverpool shirts, Manchester United shirts, Chelsea shirts. And that tells you about the area, how important the club are to the local community."

Have you been to the city two, three years ago, Robbie?

That was literally the first thing I thought of. Furthest from the truth.

Same goes for Lineker being the best-ever City player.