Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

The "do they mean us?" thread

It's the stat obsessed modern day mate, pisses me off, it's this type of ethos that has us seeing lifeless managers like LVG sat pretentiously writing bullshit notes that nobody gives a **** about whilst Ranieri orchestrates masterfully from the touch line. That type of passion is infectious, to fans and players, not some modern-day "scientific" shit.

**** stats.

If this was not 2016 most people wouldn't denigrate your position

Well, ironically, stats are quite a big part of our success story. Many of the players recruited over the past 3-4 years have been scouted on the basis of their stats.

We are allegedly at the forefront of 'modern-day sports science' and squad management, which goes a long way towards explaining the low frequency and severity of injuries to our players.

I wonder whether had they not gone for that end of season game to Australia last year they might have made a better start than getting 3 points from 4 games?

If Spurs don't win the title this year that's where they lost it - 4 points from Man United and 3 teams that finished mid-table the year before is not far off relegation form.

They can blame Levy for that, Spurs always start the season badly because they are still wheelin' and dealin' in the transfer market. The protracted Berahino saga and the lack of a back up for Kane unsettled them in the first month of the season.  The had already dropped 9 points by the time the had signed Son to give another attacking option.

Well, ironically, stats are quite a big part of our success story. Many of the players recruited over the past 3-4 years have been scouted on the basis of their stats.

We are allegedly at the forefront of 'modern-day sports science' and squad management, which goes a long way towards explaining the low frequency and severity of injuries to our players.

We've been alerted to them based on stats, but that is just the first step, stats to identify possible targets, then lots of videos, then watching them live.

I use to like Pochettino when he was at Southampton.

Now only one season after being in a title race he has become so arrogant.

Trying to play the mind-games on us like he's the next Jose. Jog on  lol

I have Tottenham fans saying everyday they deserve to win the league? How? We beat them at their place and we have been from game week 1 consistently at the very top of the table. It took Tottenham until the latter half of the season to mount a title challenge. Sure, they're a very good team.

And "I'll love it" if we beat them to it and make them go into meltdown at the thought that this, like Arsenal, was their only big chance to win the league before the abnormality of this season goes back to "normal".

Overconfidence is going to cost Spurs big time. If they go into tonight's game thinking its impossible to not beat West Brom then they will be in for a shock, I hope that is the mentality they do approach the game because I could see West Brom nicking a point and if that happens its game over as far as the title race is concerned in my opinion. I've got a good feeling about tonight.

• Like 1

the "We've scored more goals" argument is a little flawed. Putting to one side the fact that points make prizes, they've scored more goals, but we've scored in more games.  I think that 13 of their goals came in just three games.

We've been alerted to them based on stats, but that is just the first step, stats to identify possible targets, then lots of videos, then watching them live.

Exactly. We're using stats sensibly it seems. Although the jury is likely out on Kramaric still.

On that related note - the sports science thing, it isn't a coincidence that Mahrez, Albrighton and Okazaki get hauled off after 60-70-80 minutes every game. The performance stats in training are monitored and probably show a substantial decline for those players after that amount of game time. It's been commented many places now how Ranieri and his staff have sent the squad away on holiday several times this season already.

The whole cryotherapy, personalised and limited training etc. Everything seems so finely tuned to optimise ressources and performances during matches. That's effectively 'stat-based' in my book too :)

The conspiracies are in full swing. Even Stan Collymore is on it. He doesn't like the fact that Hazard and Fabregas have come out and said they don't want Tottenham to win the league. Yeah how dare they not want their local rivals to win the league. That has been translated into Chelsea are gonna miss open goals and roll over for Leicester.

Apparently Swansea also rolled over for us. Stoke obviously didn't. That was all down to Spurs being supreme and THE BEST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE EVER EVER!!!!1!1!!!1! But us beating Swansea with the same scoreline is just Swansea not trying hard enough.

Be prepare for a week full of daft conspiracies that Sunderland played better against Arsenal but were poor against us the week before because Sunderland obviously care more about us winning the title than their own survival.

Collymore thinks what his producer tells him to think on any given day

Winning the title will not make us more attractive than Man City or Arsenal or even Chelsea, Man United and Liverpool with Klopp. Despite how amazing this season has been and how poor some of the big clubs have been, players look at the long term, and Man City with Pep, playing alongside Aguero, De Bruyne, Silva is more attractive than Leicester and Ranieri playing alongside Vardy, Mahrez and Kante, should we be able to keep them all.

Players will see joining Leicester as a 1 shot deal, and some will take it, but a player coming into his prime and is offered a 4 year deal at Chelsea or United knows that he will spend those 4 years playing in Europe and competing for trophies, he won't  be so sure about 4 years at Leicester. We will have the money to spend £30m, £50, even £100m on a single player, but we don't have the stature within the game to attract them. There is talk of Ronaldo leaving Real (an extreme example) we could afford to buy him and pay his wages, but he would never come here, he would go to United. There is talk of Zlatan going to United, Lukaku going to Chelsea. Even though we have done better than those teams this season we are not a more attractive prospect.

We also have to be aware of who we are and what we have which is fantastic team spirit and attitude, things that can't be bought but can be upset by signing the wrong player, and I don't think we should get into this battle of the bank accounts with other clubs. We  should continue with our plan, scout the leagues for the right player with the right attitude that will buy into what we are doing here, we should build and develop and not try and assemble a really expensive squad of big names.  I would rather have a Deeney or a Shane Long than a "world class" player.

I would disagree with half your post and agree with the other half.

I am not saying that we would get any player we wanted but I am saying we would be an attractive prospect, more-so than ever before. I would disagree that Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea would be more attractive than Leicester in pure footballing terms. You would be signing for the champions of England and would be playing for a very high profile club whether we like it or not. No longer will we go under the radar and we will very much have a spotlight on us as defending champions. Who wouldn't want to be part of that?!

Of course, throw in the wage and personal financial gain into the mix we have a different scenario altogether and inevitably the player would go to the highest bidder... which brings me to the bit where I agree with you. I totally agree that we should not start throwing the cheque book around willy-nilly and should build in a sustainable way however it is inevitable we will be looking at more expensive and probably more high profile players than we have ever seen at our club. This is why I do not expect Leicester to dissipate into a mid table team over the course of a close season. I fully expect Leicester to be involved in a battle for a champions league spot if not the title again.

Pep, Klopp, Mourinho..... all world class managers but so is Ranieri. Write him off at your peril.

the "We've scored more goals" argument is a little flawed. Putting to one side the fact that points make prizes, they've scored more goals, but we've scored in more games.  I think that 13 of their goals came in just three games.

Clean sheets have something to do with it too... Lose less games if you keep clean sheets...

How many times have pundits mentioned in the last couple of days that Spurs are on top of every statistic. Yes, apart from points won, games won, games lost.

Actually , Souness, A.Smith, even Redknapp junior and Henri have mentioned it at various

times in the last 1-3 weeks. Carragher made a point of it just after Easter, all quoting

those last 3 statistics.

All pundits have had their embarrasing , sympathetic, cronic, laughable moments.

Example Merson, played bad cop on Saturdays GSS, I couldnt care but it was funny,

he is a true character, who also blows hot and cold.They all are in the entertainments

business and to give good tv. Ex-plays etc are panellists, pundits experts from the

game from their experiences, but not experts from the moment, or future.

In my expert in life opinion, with a wisehead I know 95% of city fans would be just as

good and poor on any Tv panel..To all Enjoy it and stop getting ratty or mardy

over other peoples comments..We dreamt but never believed we would be where we

are NOW. This suprising season should of been the season for 1st Arsenal or

2nd Spurs, a club with a squad of Leicesters pre-requisite should never be near the

top four....After the financial crisis, Banking crash, plastic austerity,

pathetic EU and Brit govt. Issues...

One thing is certain, You can forget and F U # K.......

.............................E X P E R T S

I would disagree with half your post and agree with the other half.

I am not saying that we would get any player we wanted but I am saying we would be an attractive prospect, more-so than ever before. I would disagree that Manchester City, Liverpool and Chelsea would be more attractive than Leicester in pure footballing terms. You would be signing for the champions of England and would be playing for a very high profile club whether we like it or not. No longer will we go under the radar and we will very much have a spotlight on us as defending champions. Who wouldn't want to be part of that?!

Of course, throw in the wage and personal financial gain into the mix we have a different scenario altogether and inevitably the player would go to the highest bidder... which brings me to the bit where I agree with you. I totally agree that we should not start throwing the cheque book around willy-nilly and should build in a sustainable way however it is inevitable we will be looking at more expensive and probably more high profile players than we have ever seen at our club. This is why I do not expect Leicester to dissipate into a mid table team over the course of a close season. I fully expect Leicester to be involved in a battle for a champions league spot if not the title again.

Pep, Klopp, Mourinho..... all world class managers but so is Ranieri. Write him off at your peril.

One title doesn't make us an established team, we will be at best the 7th most attractive club in the league, we will be behind the Manchesters, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and even Spurs because of history, pedigree, location and financial security. Ranieri is a class manager but he is behind Mourinho, Pep, Klopp, Wenger, Conte when it comes to trophies won. Top and co have been awesome owners, but they are unknowns and don't flaunt their wealth in the way Abrahmovich and Sheikh Mansour. As a club we are unfashionable and we don't have the history of challenging at the top. Some people will view this season as a freak, and they may be right. Hopefully the players that will see past that are those not just looking for a pay day and fit our mentality, but it could be a tough summer.

If you don't believe me, look at Wolfsburg, FC Twente, even Atletico Madrid. They couldn't compete with the established teams in the league despite winning it. After winning the title both Wolfsburg and Atletico had comparatively disappointing seasons. They couldn't build on their success and had the added challenge of Europe and expectation, it took them a few seasons to challenge for the title again, and if we end up following the same route. A disappointing title defence whilst still building and being able to mount another serious assault on all competitions in 4-5 years time, I would be ecstatic with that.

If you don't believe me, look at Wolfsburg, FC Twente, even Atletico Madrid. They couldn't compete with the established teams in the league despite winning it. After winning the title both Wolfsburg and Atletico had comparatively disappointing seasons. They couldn't build on their success and had the added challenge of Europe and expectation, it took them a few seasons to challenge for the title again, and if we end up following the same route. A disappointing title defence whilst still building and being able to mount another serious assault on all competitions in 4-5 years time, I would be ecstatic with that.

A damn good few last posts Captain ,enjoyed the 'laying down the line ' of Perspectives.

one thing though, you should not forget and has no comparisons...

The finances next year, will help us , even if we dont lock in the real big names, we will

be shopping in a better quality market, plus understanding our Owners like we do

and Ranieri's influence, the ethos wont be comprimised.Wages increases will be the norm,

but still conservative.We carry on being clever, there are quality players out there that can

And really want to perform on their own level, all can be found in or from good teams

through Europe, maybe even within our own leagues, lower or top.

Obviously , I want a few seasons of this , to be a long-running fairytail, but wont hang myself

if it is a one off, probably love it more.

But, many are making the same mistake of the pundits and outsiders, We do actually have

something going for us, we dont want to believe all that underwhelming hype or humble

pie routine, we can use it to our advantage though!!!

THEY and actual fans still havent worked it out yet, and the closed summer will not make

people wiser.