Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

Guest MattP

Fair play to him for taking it but he could get seriously hurt.

Massive jump in weight and quality never usually works out well.

It wouldn't be the first time a boxer has stepped up and won

Sugar Ray Leonard beating Hagler was considered a major shock.

Roy Jones Junior beating Ruiz

And Pacquiao beating Margarito three examples of boxers 'punching well above their weight'

I'm not saying Brook is in the league of any of these three. But the point remains I guess. It can be done.

Brook always seems extremely confident but the other fella is something special.

I'll be watching.

It's not just the weight, the man he's fighting is lethal.

Guest MattP

Plus Margarito had concrete in his gloves and John Ruiz was just absolutely shit.

It's bonkers to Brook to go up two weights to fight most people, to fight the P4P best who almost had huge power is a little crazy.

Edited by MattP

Guest MattP

You have the signature of the year lol lol

Edited by MattP

Guest Col city fan

I have an idea. Spend a few more hours, whilst at work, sifting back through all the archives (you're good at that) of boxing until you come to the Ray Leonard v Hagler fight. You'll see just about nobody gave Leonard a cat in Hell's chance. The fight was an absolute classic to watch. I suspect you weren't even born?

You're probably right. The step up for Brook will probably be too great, all things so considered. My point is he's having the bollox to have a go when you clearly have him in the gutter already. Sounds familiar.

Guest MattP

I have an idea. Spend a few more hours, whilst at work, sifting back through all the archives (you're good at that) of boxing until you come to the Ray Leonard v Hagler fight. You'll see just about nobody gave Leonard a cat in Hell's chance. The fight was an absolute classic to watch. I suspect you weren't even born?

You're probably right. The step up for Brook will probably be too great, all things so considered. My point is he's having the bollox to have a go when you clearly have him in the gutter already. Sounds familiar.

3-1 outsider.

Brook will be far longer than that.

Edited by MattP

Guest Col city fan

3-1 outsider.

Brook will be far longer than that.

3-1 is pretty much no one gave him a cat in hells chance Matt, as you well know. I remember it well on account of the fight being seen, at that time, as a huge upset. (Although clouded in controversy I must admit)

He'd been retired for two years, had a detached retina and had been fighting, I believe, as a welterweight. Hagler, I think, was still undefeated in the middleweight class.

The point remains, the odds can be overturned. I think Brook will lose. But I ain't just gonna bin him, like some are.

Edited by Col city fan

lol who's touched a nerve now. you're sounding rattled.

I'm aware of the fight although never watched it, might do so later though info like classics col so cheers for the suggestion! Although as a comparison its some way off what's happening here.

I'm actually genuinely concerned for him actually, golovkin shortens careers and has severely hurt a whole host of middle weights. Can't see how it's possible for him to win.

3-1 is pretty much no one gave him a cat in hells chance Matt, as you well know. I remember it well on account of the fight being seen, at that time, as a huge upset. (Although clouded in controversy I must admit)

He'd been retired for two years, had a detached retina and had been fighting, I believe, as a welterweight. Hagler, I think, was still undefeated in the middleweight class.

The point remains, the odds can be overturned. I think Brook will lose. But I ain't just gonna bin him, like some are.

No way he was undefeated

Guest Col city fan

lol who's touched a nerve now. you're sounding rattled.

I'm aware of the fight although never watched it, might do so later though info like classics col so cheers for the suggestion! Although as a comparison its some way off what's happening here.

I'm actually genuinely concerned for him actually, golovkin shortens careers and has severely hurt a whole host of middle weights. Can't see how it's possible for him to win.

No way he was undefeated

No, you're right. Lost 3 bouts in 67 fights. If my memory serves me right, they were early on, until Leonard.

As I've said, you wouldn't know. Hagler was seen as an awesome fighter. And the fight hailed as a massive upset.

If you do watch it, you'll see Leonard beat him on speed and technique. After the first three rounds or so, you could see it wasn't going to be the walkover most had anticipated.

Guest MattP

I just wanna use this to say to any boxing fan who hasn't watch the first round of Hagler v Hearns, it's the greatest opening round of boxing you'll ever watch.

I just wanna use this to say to any boxing fan who hasn't watch the first round of Hagler v Hearns, it's the greatest opening round of boxing you'll ever watch.

How the fvck did one or the other of them not end up chewing canvas before that round was done? Unreal. :blink:

Guest Col city fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PPhyBUsxaA

Similar with football in the 80's, I feel lucky to have grown up with boxing in this generation. Generally, fights were fights. Actual tear ups right from the off. Not the staged, glitzy rammatazz that we have to suffer now. It was still presented in its own way, with a build up etc..but nothing like it is now.

It's why I say the likes of Joshua now really needs to have a proper fight. I want to see him and how he does without all the sideshow, but when faced with someone who can actually hurt him.

No, you're right. Lost 3 bouts in 67 fights. If my memory serves me right, they were early on, until Leonard.

As I've said, you wouldn't know. Hagler was seen as an awesome fighter. And the fight hailed as a massive upset.

If you do watch it, you'll see Leonard beat him on speed and technique. After the first three rounds or so, you could see it wasn't going to be the walkover most had anticipated.

I wouldn't even need to see the fight to know if Leonard won it would be down to speed and technique lol.

As I've said the two situations are totally incomparable. Although on the subject of betting and Leonard being 3/1 just looked and Kell is only 9/2...... doubt it'll stay like that but there we are.

Guest Col city fan

I wouldn't even need to see the fight to know if Leonard won it would be down to speed and technique lol.

As I've said the two situations are totally incomparable. Although on the subject of betting and Leonard being 3/1 just looked and Kell is only 9/2...... doubt it'll stay like that but there we are.

So not 'totally incomparable' then, even in the eyes of the bookies.

You ain't reading. I told you that, at the time, it was considered a massive upset and I've tried to explain why this was. I won't waste my time anymore.

So not 'totally incomparable' then, even in the eyes of the bookies.

You ain't reading. I told you that, at the time, it was considered a massive upset and I've tried to explain why this was. I won't waste my time anymore.

lol oh dear dummy much.

I'm sure it was an upset col. Not disputing that. lol

Guest Col city fan

lol oh dear dummy much.

I'm sure it was an upset col. Not disputing that. lol

So how, on earth, could it be 'totally incomparable' then?

Argggggggghhhhh

lol - I'm off down town. Adios

lol

So how, on earth, could it be 'totally incomparable' then?

Argggggggghhhhh

lol - I'm off down town. Adios

lol

Because simple put

Sugar Ray Leonard was and arguable bar Mayweather still is the greatest welter weight of all time, Kell Brook not in the same league.

Marvin Hagler was a great boxer and if you were writing a list of great middleweights of all time he'd be top 10 possibly even top 5. The aim of Golovkins career is to top that list and so far, so good, he's 34, no one has ever come out to face him for a 12th round I don't think .He literally damages people foolish enough to get in the ring with him, he's a monster.

So yes, they're two completely different sets of circumstances.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

Similar with football in the 80's, I feel lucky to have grown up with boxing in this generation. Generally, fights were fights. Actual tear ups right from the off. Not the staged, glitzy rammatazz that we have to suffer now. It was still presented in its own way, with a build up etc..but nothing like it is now.

It's why I say the likes of Joshua now really needs to have a proper fight. I want to see him and how he does without all the sideshow, but when faced with someone who can actually hurt him.

Were fights free to view on TV back in the day? My generation doesn't really engage with boxing generally partly because it's expensive to watch the big fights. 

Guest Col city fan

Were fights free to view on TV back in the day? My generation doesn't really engage with boxing generally partly because it's expensive to watch the big fights.

The fights you could watch were certainly free on mainstream TV mate. That's all there was. Now like everything it's all become about money. Who can make as much out of whom by dragging it out, usually.

I seem to remember (as I said, my memory ain't what or used to be) that some of the US fights weren't always live. I think they were showed the day after in some cases.

The night McGuigan won his world title was special. But there were so many. The Benn fights, Big Frank obviously. The most exciting though was Tyson in his early days imo. He was a machine. None of the current heavyweights would come anywhere near him I suspect.

Highly enjoy fight col, round 9, wow. Cheers for the recommendation. ( i was born btw, and already talking bollocks apparently )

Although it probably has reinforced my opinion more than anything but never mind. lol, you go awhile without watching Leonard box you forget how good he actually was.

Edited by Manwell Pablo