Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

What is?

Refs are told if a man isn't defending himself and you think he's done stop the fight. Long gone are the days where you leave it till the man is lying on the floor with paramedics helping him come round. It's not ideal but hand on heart do you think Groves or Froch would have gone on to win from the position they were at in that 9th round? I can only see Froch winning.

Groves didn't even get knocked down.

What about the first round, Groves was all over him, he could of easily stopped it then but chose not to.

If he stopped it in the first round, it wouldn't of surprised me at all, but that diabolical decision in the ninth, has surprised all.

Groves was on his knees in despair when it was called off, a few more punches and Groves could of been knocked down, and if the fight was called off then, then fair enough, but Groves could of ducked and got on the front foot again, but of course we don't know what would of happened next, because of Fatty Foster.

What is?

Refs are told if a man isn't defending himself and you think he's done stop the fight. Long gone are the days where you leave it till the man is lying on the floor with paramedics helping him come round. It's not ideal but hand on heart do you think Groves or Froch would have gone on to win from the position they were at in that 9th round? I can only see Froch winning.

Ah come on mate if the ref was going to be like that he should've stopped it in Groves favour a long time before that. Whether Froch would've won is neither here nor there for me, Groves had earnt the benefit of the doubt imo. For what its worth (if you really care) I do feel Froch would've probably knocked him out in the next round but nobody can be certain. If it went to points Groves was nailed on

On a side note how come the ref didn't do a ten second count and then decide? Surely Groves would've been better going down and getting the count

Edited by foxfanazer

Wonder what groves must feel like right now what a fighter! Froch is a beast tho best chin in boxing and i really feel he'd have gone on to win felt like groves had punched himself out every punch froch landed from round 8-9 shook him to his feet wouldn't have been long untill he put him sleep.

Edited by LestaFox92

Ah come on mate if the ref was going to be like that he should've stopped it in Groves favour a long time before that. Whether Froch would've won is neither here nor there for me, Groves had earnt the benefit of the doubt imo. For what its worth (if you really care) I do feel Froch would've probably knocked him out in the next round but nobody can be certain. If it went to points Groves was nailed on

On a side note how come the ref didn't do a ten second count and then decide? Surely Groves would've been better going down and getting the count

That's fair. Tough on the ref though either way I think he would of been criticised so he was in a no win situation to me. No doubt Groves was ahead on points but Froch dragged him into a slugfest and he's so heavy handed the tide just changed instantly in that 9th round. On the count thing in Championship fights they don't do a standing 8 count which is wrong to me but it's the IBF and WBA rules. 100% deserves a rematch but I think Carl will retire.

That's fair. Tough on the ref though either way I think he would of been criticised so he was in a no win situation to me. No doubt Groves was ahead on points but Froch dragged him into a slugfest and he's so heavy handed the tide just changed instantly in that 9th round. On the count thing in Championship fights they don't do a standing 8 count which is wrong to me but it's the IBF and WBA rules. 100% deserves a rematch but I think Carl will retire.

Oh I didn't know that mate, seems a strange rule. Yeah a rematch would be fully deserved for Groves but I can't see Froch taking it.

Having seen the stoppage and heard what the scorecards were there is only one conclusion for me, that was bent.

Froch may have got a dodgy stoppage but Groves was the real winner.

Now watch Frotch duck the rematch take a mug as a voluntary defence and hang his gloves up before Groves gets the change to finish him off properly.

What is?

Froch wasn't anywhere near winning in the points, he was coming back into it and it looked like a brilliant fight, then the ref got the points leader in a headlock for safety reasons and stopped the fight! I think a rematch and a new ref should sort it, Froch got the benefit if the doubt for 8 rounds, the contender gets rocked and it's a protective wrestling move! This is a human error, and the fight was unresolved.

Froch wasn't anywhere near winning in the points, he was coming back into it and it looked like a brilliant fight, then the ref got the points leader in a headlock for safety reasons and stopped the fight! I think a rematch and a new ref should sort it, Froch got the benefit if the doubt for 8 rounds, the contender gets rocked and it's a protective wrestling move! This is a human error, and the fight was unresolved.

Groves DID wobbles his little legs into the ropes after though. Seems like the ref did more damage with the head lock than froch did all night...

You should see comments from Forest fans, they don't believe for one second a bad decision was made, the fight was extremely close and it was a perfectly acceptable, clean stoppage.

They're defending their golden son at all costs.

If you put your refs hat on and watch the replay , PURELY FROM THE REFS POINT OF VIEW I can see why he stopped it. His head was down and at one stage he turned away from froch.. If you turn your back on a fighter in the middle of a mêlée like that, it's pretty much considered surrendering...

But Groves wasn't surrendering he was just trying to get away from the punches and gather his thoughts.. now I do believe froch was about to finish him but common sense should of prevailed... just a bad call and stoppage in my opinion....

Edited by MPH

I don't really blame the ref. They ought to be able to issue a standing count in situations like that and then decide if the fighter is fit to continue. It probably hasn't done Groves that much harm anyway, if he'd been knocked out cold, apart from the physical damage, it would be a clear defeat. This way, a lot of people see him as the real winner.

Froch looked slightly out of condition and started slow, not his best performance.

Groves gave a great account of himself I had him winning all but two of the rounds (inclusive of the 9th)

As for the stoppage, I see both sides - I've watched it back and can see the referee's point. Had Froch hit him a couple more times whilst he wasn't defending himself and received some significant damage, we'd have every studio pundit saying "shame, though it looked like his legs were going and I'm surprised such an experienced referee did not step in before the final punches were thrown..."

I do feel for Groves though and see his point and thought he came out well in speaking after the fight - Froch however not so much.

What a fight though.

I don't really blame the ref. They ought to be able to issue a standing count in situations like that and then decide if the fighter is fit to continue. It probably hasn't done Groves that much harm anyway, if he'd been knocked out cold, apart from the physical damage, it would be a clear defeat. This way, a lot of people see him as the real winner.

Froch looked slightly out of condition and started slow, not his best performance.

The referee got Groves in a head lock that allowed Froch to punch him in the ribs!

No only was it probably the worst decision by a boxing referee I can recall by memory he didn't even stop a fight properly! He should have walked in between Groves and Froch to protect Groves from any further punishment if he really did think that he was in trouble, which he wasn't.

The referee got Groves in a head lock that allowed Froch to punch him in the ribs!

No only was it probably the worst decision by a boxing referee I can recall by memory he didn't even stop a fight properly! He should have walked in between Groves and Froch to protect Groves from any further punishment if he really did think that he was in trouble, which he wasn't.

But he turned his back on froch and his arms were slumped down....

Having watched the replay several times now... He was most definitely in trouble so I really can't blame the ref..

Pretty unreal the reaction this is getting. So because Groves was ahead on points and Froch didnt actually knock him out the fight was bent?

Come on. The ref could have stopped it a few seconds earlier and nobody would have said a word but he gave Groves a chance and he didnt look like he could defend himself. Having seen Froch finish fights so well before, it cant really be in doubt that he wouldnt have finished that too.

Points are irrelevant in boxing unless it goes the distance so the fact Groves was ahead should have no bearing. He was hurt and if the ref let it go, Froch would have ko'd him.

Edited by Bettsj2
  • Like 1

I reckon the ref has done Groves a huge favour.  I thought it was stopped a little prematurely, but it looked like Froch was going on to win........where Groves would not have been looking at a rematch.  At least now he'll get another chance & another pay day.

The judges cards had the points fairly even & if it had gone the distance, it would be too close to call.  Froch being the champion would probably have got the decision.  I think Froch would have gone on to win anyway, without the need for a decision.

Groves battled hard but I think he missed his opportunity in the earlier rounds.  He had chances to take the fight, but allowed Froch back into it.  This is possibly where his lack of experience showed.

A shame Froch couldn't show some humility in the post-fight interview.

Having watched it back a lot of times, when Froch hit that right to the body with Groves not facing him I think the ref stopped Groves from falling down by holding him up. He was heading straight for the canvas and the ref got in the way.

I haven't watched it back yet but if that's the case, then let him go down and count him out. If he was falling over already then he wasn't going to get hit again so no more damage would have been done to him by letting him drop.

Some of the reactions on here and other places must be period day or something! Acting like groves looked capable of defending himself he turned his back to froch twice not because he wanted to but because he got hit so hard he lost his senses and any boxer knows not to give a fighter there back. All of these the ref let him punch him while he gave him a head lock fvck me are you serious or just that annoyed that you didn't get to see groves or froch sparked out? cos this fight wasn't going to points either way the fight was on a knifes edge for 6 rounds while groves still had his KO power once that went froch went in for the kill simple as that.

Some of the reactions on here and other places must be period day or something! Acting like groves looked capable of defending himself he turned his back to froch twice not because he wanted to but because he got hit so hard he lost his senses and any boxer knows not to give a fighter there back. All of these the ref let him punch him while he gave him a head lock fvck me are you serious or just that annoyed that you didn't get to see groves or froch sparked out? cos this fight wasn't going to points either way the fight was on a knifes edge for 6 rounds while groves still had his KO power once that went froch went in for the kill simple as that.

blah blah blah lol

I find that hard to beleive. Groves was at least 5 up. If thats true then its even more corrupt than I thought

I was surprised to see the scorecards.  One judge had Groves 5pts ahead (78-73).  The other two judges had the same scores, with Groves 1pt ahead (76-75).  

I would have had Groves ahead by more than one round as well.

I think Groves should have gone for the knockout when he had the chance & the energy.  I'm fairly confident that Froch would have taken any further rounds.......but don't think it would have gone the distance.

If the referee had let the fight continue, I believe Froch would have won fair & square & Groves wouldn't be in a position for a re-match.  The referee stopping the fight & it being widely considered too early, means that a re-match is almost inevitable.  The ref has done Groves a favour.