Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFC_FAN_1995

Boxing

1 - Groves was always going to win the opening 5-6 rounds, his speed and power were evident in his previous fights.

2 - Round 6-12 were always going to belong to Froch, he lacks power but is extremely heavy handed and that is why he hurts opponents later on.

Initially i too thought it was a unfair and extremely harsh stoppage, but look at this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwSagg_r7Os

Between 34-37 seconds Froch lands a right, and the reason the Ref actually appears to grab Groves in a headlock is because Groves is totally out of it with his head down and hunched over walking towards the neutral corner. 2-3 seconds later he appears to control himself again, but if Carl had an opportunity to land a couple of free punches then the fight would be over, and possibly so would the career of Groves.

Would be interesting to see Groves fight Andre Ward. Groves is arguably as quick as ward, and has in my eyes just as great a job. From last nights viewing he has more power, as Ward never got close to knocking Froch down.

Groves was impressive, but Froch never gives in.

It is a shame about all the media talk about the controversy, as it gets in the way of the great performance of Groves and the amazing resilience and granite chin of the Cobra.

Some of the reactions on here and other places must be period day or something! Acting like groves looked capable of defending himself he turned his back to froch twice not because he wanted to but because he got hit so hard he lost his senses and any boxer knows not to give a fighter there back. All of these the ref let him punch him while he gave him a head lock fvck me are you serious or just that annoyed that you didn't get to see groves or froch sparked out? cos this fight wasn't going to points either way the fight was on a knifes edge for 6 rounds while groves still had his KO power once that went froch went in for the kill simple as that.

I think that's probably the best explanation.

Decent article on BBC Sport - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/boxing/25082565

Thought Froch had his measure by the end and Groves looked gassed but still a terribly timed stoppage, you have to let them fight. In the USA that carries on.

MAidana Khan and Mormeck Haye both go the other way with Foster in charge of then.

British refs have been shit scared ever since Michael Watson and Gerry Mac.

Could have easily been stopped in the 6th when Groves was smashing the shit out of Froch who was using Groves to stay on his feet. Ref was poor and inconsistent all night, 3 or 4 times Froch pilled a few shots in after Foster had called break but took no action, as well as a forearm to the face in the 7th I think it was.

Edited by Hirsty The Blue 94

Even If it went the distance Groves would have probably been robbed by the judges anyway.

How two judges only had Froch behind by one point i'll never know.

Definitely, Froch was going to win the last couple given how strong he is late and Groves was gassing.

Couldn't believe the cards when I saw them.

Nah, a lot of footballers are scumbags but it's not in the nature of the sport like it is in boxing. It's a necessity in commercial boxing to mouth off and act like a twat. It's mainly about lower class retards giving it the big'un. That's supposed to be the entertainment factor.

Boxing as a sport can be entertaining if it's a particularly good fight, but the circus around it makes it unbearable as a spectacle.

You only get that ifs its a huge fight they are marketing at the wider public..

99% of boxing isn't like that at all. I enjoy myself far more at small hall shows than I do at the big events these days.

Could have easily been stopped in the 6th when Groves was smashing the shit out of Froch who was using Groves to stay on his feet. Ref was poor and inconsistent all night, 3 or 4 times Froch pilled a few shots in after Foster had called break but took no action, as well as a forearm to the face in the 7th I think it was.

They both used abit of dirty boxing maybe froch more so but they were both at it so groves isn't innocent in that regard either. Keep watching that first round knockdown still cant believe froch got up and carried on from that am sure he was sleeping on the way down the canvas must of woke him back up.

Just watched the stoppage again. Groves takes several hard punches but he is still trying to punch back, I don't think the ref should have stopped the fight there but I don't think it was a robbery or a fix and I don't think Froch was ever in that much trouble either.

Froch was in far more trouble in the first than Groves was at any point.

The white collar boxing was fantastic in Leicester on Sunday as well, surprised at the standard of some of the fighters, really good.

Managed to have a chat with Stephen Graham as well who was there. Really nice bloke and seemed happy to let everyone have a word with him.

Why on earth is everyone going on about how many rounds Groves was ahead??

He was always going to lead on points, i was surprised he didn't take all the first 6 rounds if i am honest.

Groves has speed and power, but Froch is just consistent through all 12. He will never get knocked out at this weight, and this fact along with the fact that his punch power will not tire over 12 rounds is the reason he was always gonna win the fight in the end.

For me Groves was hugely impressive though, a future world champion for sure, and i would love to see him give Andre Ward a run for his money. Ward has always outboxed the like of Froch due to his speed, but Ward doesn't have the power to trouble Froch, or even Groves IMO. 

Why on earth is everyone going on about how many rounds Groves was ahead??

He was always going to lead on points, i was surprised he didn't take all the first 6 rounds if i am honest.

I think people are wondering how two judges had the fight so close on points, when it was quite clear he should have been further ahead.

If the fight went the distance it wouldn't have surprised me if Froch had won on points.

yeah i stayed up. he was doing ok at frustrating adonis the first few rounds. but u knew as soon as adonis got comfortable it was game over. a class above. the kovalev fight showed what an absolute monster that guy is in terms of punching power. they are bound to meet soon (within a couple of fights)

• 2 weeks later...

Bloke I know in the neighbouring village,his son Tyler " tornado"Goodjohn won his fight at the ExCel last night at light Welterweight.got onto sky and will now have a shot at a uk title I believe.Took 300 supporters from the area.i must go next time.Deserved his victory on points.it was the third time he had faced his opponent and it was finely poised at 1-1 before last night.Really pleased for the lad.

Amir Khan is confident he is just weeks away from sealing a super-fight against Floyd Mayweather.

Khan has been holding out for a lucrative clash with the pound-for-pound number one since suffering a scare in his last fight against Julio Diaz in Sheffield in April.

And now the 27-year-old from Bolton believes the deal is close to being sealed for a bout against the unbeaten world light-middleweight champion, almost certainly in Las Vegas in May.

Khan told Press Association Sport: "It's the fight I've always been after and we're very close now, not too far away. Hopefully something is going to be announced within the next couple of weeks."

Khan will not have fought for 13 months by the time a projected fight with Mayweather takes place, having pulled out of a deal to fight the then world welterweight champion Devon Alexander in order to pursue his dream bout.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/10520786/Floyd-Mayweather-super-fight-against-Amir-Khan-is-weeks-away-from-confirmation-claims-British-fighter.html

:nono: No, no, no.

Fair play to him though, getting a good pay day - Don't hold much hope for him though, he will get throughly battered I should think.

I don't see what's in it for Floyd though really, an easy win on his record I spose, but not sure it'd interest me if I were Floyd.

Edited by Matt