Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheWestEnd

The M69 Derby

Alright lads Coventry fan in peace here,

As you might have noticed we happen to be playing each other first game of the season and as usual this has brought out the typical “We hate Leicester scum” disabled brigade. After having a discussion with a fellow Cov fan the other day who declared that this game was the “Big one” on both sides of the M69 I was wondering what you lot made of it. Most of the Cov fans I know view it as a bit embarrassing, seems to be mainly the chavvy kids and the weirdos from Hinckley way who view it as this massive “M69 Derby” which is why whenever we play you at the Ricoh half the stadium seems to have some sort of illness, think this is shown by the erm.. “witty” Interbred chant they sing.

To be honest until we got relegated I didn’t realise there was a rivalry between us, I always seen ours as Villa and yours as Forest. Although they both “don’t care” about us, just seems to a bit of a manufactured rivalry. Personally I always kinda liked Leicester! Just interested in how your lot see it?

P.S Very impressed by this forum!

we don't view it as anything really. when you guys pulled back to 2-2 and celebrated like you'd won the champions league it was a bit embarrassing. like you said i think it's the youngsters trying to make something of it. i've personally never had a problem with cov either.

All really depends on where abouts in leicester a person lives really: it tends to be if you're from loughborough forest are biggest, coalville is more derby and hinckley way is yourselves.

For most city fans it is Forest, although your suggestion that they don't really care about isn't all that true, as we see on here whenever we play them. Just that their first derby is against derby. I'd assume it's similar for Villa and yourselves - Villa's fiercest rivalry is brum but they still care a great deal when they face you.

Personally I don't care one way or the other about coventry - do like a good chuckle at your season plan though: start well, fall off around christmas time followed by the mid-april "Oh shit, we need more points to survive" and the late scramble to survival.

It seems as though most Leicester fans care more about Forest, and most Coventry fans about Villa/Birmingham? However I don't see why it shouldn't be a big derby. Its the closest game for both clubs and Forest care more about Derby and Villa care more about Birmingham which leaves Leicester vs Coventry.

It seems as though most Leicester fans care more about Forest, and most Coventry fans about Villa/Birmingham? However I don't see why it shouldn't be a big derby. Its the closest game for both clubs and Forest care more about Derby and Villa care more about Birmingham which leaves Leicester vs Coventry.

To get a true derby atmosphere going we're going to need a little bit of bitterness. Do you have any good players we can buy from Coventry who you really don't want to sell? :giggle:

we don't view it as anything really. when you guys pulled back to 2-2 and celebrated like you'd won the champions league it was a bit embarrassing. like you said i think it's the youngsters trying to make something of it. i've personally never had a problem with cov either.

This post is embarrassing. If we came from 2-0 down to 2-2 away at the Ricoh we'd celebrate like we'd won the Champion's League and you'd be stupid to deny it.

In fact you'd be pretty stupid to not take the opportunity anywhere to go absolutely mental after rescuing a game it looked like you had no chance in, at least that's how my version of supporting my team works...

Oh and to TheWestEnd - the succession of posters you'll find on here who say that matches against you mean nothing are talking out of their arses; yes, many might not consider them big derbies, but very few wouldn't take particularly enormous pleasure in victories against you (especially at your place, feels like forever since we've managed that feat :()

you mean it's not right to go mental for every single goal?

As a kid, it was always about Forest and Derby for me. I remember when Forest were relegated from the Prem in 1999, I laughed like a drain for weeks and weeks, not least because of their fans' pisstaking of us for losing the Worthington Cup final and did the same again when they went down to League One in 2005. Same with Derby when they were being relegated.

Yet when Coventry were relegated from the Prem I actually felt sad for you cos you were up there for so long, kind of seeing you as this plucky team that were always in a relegation battle but somehow escaped. I certainly never saw you as rivals to be honest and I imagine this was reciprocated when we were both in the Prem, we had Forest and Derby to loathe and you had Villa.

The fact you've not played Villa in a league game since 2001 though as well as the fact that Forest and Derby have often been in different leagues to us is the reason why some make a big deal of the 'M69 Derby,' a desperate bid for a derby that hasn't ever existed really. In terms of capturing the imagination, you had only to look at the attendances at our place for the respective games in our first season back. Forest pulled in a sell-out crowd, Derby nearly 29k and Coventry a slightly-better-than-average 24k. I call it a rivalry of convenience, something to satisfy a lack of rivalries when the traditional rivalry isn't there. I daresay much of your focus will fall on Birmingham and ours will remain on Forest and Derby.

There are idiots on both sides but I will say that your end seem to take it a bit more seriously than we do. Your forums seem alive with 'Lesta' slagging, hopes we get relegated and whatnot whereas we, with all due respect, really don't pay that much attention to your club. We'll take the best part of 5000 to your place no doubt because it's close, an easy away day and the first trip of the season always brings a good following. We sold out at Palace on the first day last year and could have sold more, but the one most of us will be looking forward to is Forest a couple of weeks later.

I honestly wasn't aware we had a rivalry with Coventry until 2004. Growing up for me it was Derby seeing as we were both in the Premier league and Forest just because. I would say I like to beat your more than most clubs but just because many of your 'chavvy' fans annoy me a great deal. Other than that. It's not a huge game to us. But in coming years it could be.

:scarf:

When I was the right age for all this stuff to matter, we never played Forest they were in the top flight & we weren't or we were and they weren't, so it was always Derby & Cov and as I'm from L'boro it was always Derby that was the most keenly fought game. It doesn't help that we rarely seem to play well against you.

Whole-heartedly agree with this.

But also agree with the post after it, I feel there's potential in it but the fact the atmosphere at both games are generally pretty sterile, it doesn't feel enough like a derby.

I do think something big needs to happen between the two teams to really kick it off, Forest/Derby have had tonnes of players go each others way, something along them lines.

And for what it's worth, I do dislike Coventry, but not as much as I used to say 2/3 years ago, it just seems so sterile - and I'm not being funny, but fvck being rivals with someone who brings less to us than Burnley, that was embarrassing and it just didn't feel one bit worthwhile.

obviously it is. celebrating after the final whistle like a cup final win and you've only drawn is cringing imo. maybe not yours.

nein. Consolational goal in the 90th minute of a home game against a newly promoted side? Time for some severe shin damage. :cool:

I can see it being a bigger rival maybe 10-15 years down the line beauase of the kiddy element it currently has but if either of us get promoted, and it's a lot more likely to be you at the moment unforunatley, I can see it fizzling out straight away. I suppose the irony really is that we are both teams with no "natural" rivals but when it looks like one could be building both sets of fans have seemed to shun it!

Can't wait for this one, I wish you good luck.

You'll need it :scarf:

On another note, how far is the stadium from the train station? And the bus that goes from Leicester to Cov, how far away is the stop from the stadium?

The stadium is right out near Bedworth, sold our soul when we moved there. You would have to get a bus which takes about half hour depending on traffic if you got the train, I know the Number 48 bus goes from Leicester to Cov and that can drop you off right next to the Tescos by the ground.

I don't get why people are so worried to consider other teams rivals. Surely it makes the games more exciting?

I consider Forest the 'biggun' if you will but I get just as much satisfaction out of beating Coventry or Derby on a Saturday afternoon. There's nowt wrong with openly disliking a team.

Seems like everyone's spurting out the same old 'we don't care about x but we hate y' and it's just a bit embarassing cos you can clearly tell against any of the 3 teams mentioned how much the crowd get into it compared to say a Bristol or Palace or whatever.

I do consider us vs Forest the biggest, probably comes from being born in Loughborough.

As much as Forest hate to admit it, I think they consider it a big one aswell.

And for what it's worth, I do dislike Coventry, but not as much as I used to say 2/3 years ago, it just seems so sterile - and I'm not being funny, but fvck being rivals with someone who brings less to us than Burnley, that was embarrassing and it just didn't feel one bit worthwhile.

Think this was partly down to the sterile feeling among our fans but also due to ticket prices and our piss poor support. But then again since 1967 we've had one cup win and one relegation and nothing else to raise the emotions, must be the most boring team in England to support.

I went to Cov away a couple of seasons ago just to see what the fuss was about....never again, how can you call it a derby when we bring around 5k and you guys just about bring 9k to a home game? All those empty seats with what looked like bed sheets covering all those empty spaces in the stands. I felt embarrased that day to be at a so called derby game. For me it will always be the sheep shaggers.

Archived