Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Free Domain Name Registar

Based on a quick glance through the booking process, hosting (not the actual domain name registration, although this included) works out at about 48 quid a year not including email. It's been a while since I've had a look at this kinda thing but that's nothing special if I remember correctly. Plus they seem to have some very bad reviews of late.

• 1 month later...

Did you/anyone manage to secure a cheap hosting service? I wanted to start a magazine, but I might start a website/blog first to try and pull people in, you know.

I can easily create a website in dreamweaver and am just looking for a host to host it. Getting confuzed abit because I'm not sure what hosting size is good?

Did you/anyone manage to secure a cheap hosting service? I wanted to start a magazine, but I might start a website/blog first to try and pull people in, you know.

I can easily create a website in dreamweaver and am just looking for a host to host it. Getting confuzed abit because I'm not sure what hosting size is good?

What's your website/blog about?

If you're going to use a content management system (Wordpress, etc.) or otherwise require PHP/MySQL, I can suggest 34sp.com. I am using them for a few projects at the minute, and besides a bit of latency every now and then I cant fault them. I pay £3.95 a month for their most basic package, but it is more than ample. You could almost certainly host for less if you are just going to be using static content though. For something very small scale, you could always use the webspace most ISPs bundle, and just point a domain at it using something like Freeparking.

If you're going to use a content management system (Wordpress, etc.) or otherwise require PHP/MySQL, I can suggest 34sp.com. I am using them for a few projects at the minute, and besides a bit of latency every now and then I cant fault them. I pay £3.95 a month for their most basic package, but it is more than ample. You could almost certainly host for less if you are just going to be using static content though. For something very small scale, you could always use the webspace most ISPs bundle, and just point a domain at it using something like Freeparking.

Thank you, might have a look. I think I'd find it cool, or like a hobby, if I were running a blog for some reason.

What am I looking for though? There are many hosting services at decent prices, but how much bandwidth etc do I really require? 5gb web storage space? 10gb bandwidth?

:dunno::/

Thank you, might have a look. I think I'd find it cool, or like a hobby, if I were running a blog for some reason.

What am I looking for though? There are many hosting services at decent prices, but how much bandwidth etc do I really require? 5gb web storage space? 10gb bandwidth?

:dunno::/

It really does depend on what level you want to do this at (if you need a database backend etc). Like i said, at the lowest end you could get by with either the free hosting your ISP might give you or a free blogger account, with a domain name pointing at them (easy enough to do by changing the DNS settings - I can explain if you need). At the other end, if you want to host your own with no ads and a database driven content management system people like 34sp are about right.Those limits you talked about are modest but to be honest will be more than adequate unless you want to host media (videos/audio etc) or if you write a post which gets picked up by a big website (in which case you usually just pay for some more bandwidth if you want it). You can work it out by building your website and looking at the size of a typical page including all your graphics, and then dividing it by the amount of bandwidth you get a month. Assuming your typical homepage is 100k, you could have 52,000 visits a month with 5gb of bandwidth.

You're right that there are a lot of competitors at the bottom end of the market....thats why reputation goes a long way!

Well I host davieg-gallery.limeo.co.uk for davieG off here, free of charge,

I think I host a few more as well lol

Free :blush:

It really does depend on what level you want to do this at (if you need a database backend etc). Like i said, at the lowest end you could get by with either the free hosting your ISP might give you or a free blogger account, with a domain name pointing at them (easy enough to do by changing the DNS settings - I can explain if you need). At the other end, if you want to host your own with no ads and a database driven content management system people like 34sp are about right.Those limits you talked about are modest but to be honest will be more than adequate unless you want to host media (videos/audio etc) or if you write a post which gets picked up by a big website (in which case you usually just pay for some more bandwidth if you want it). You can work it out by building your website and looking at the size of a typical page including all your graphics, and then dividing it by the amount of bandwidth you get a month. Assuming your typical homepage is 100k, you could have 52,000 visits a month with 5gb of bandwidth.

You're right that there are a lot of competitors at the bottom end of the market....thats why reputation goes a long way!

Ok, I might look deeper into it.

Looked on your website... what do I do?

Erm well my personal reseller you just PM me and I'll set you up a basic account lol But I must stress, I'm not really that interested in babysitting how to use cPanel or create pages or anything :dunno:

Erm well my personal reseller you just PM me and I'll set you up a basic account lol But I must stress, I'm not really that interested in babysitting how to use cPanel or create pages or anything :dunno:

Ok. But, what happens? I mean, do I use Dreamweaver and then put it on the account? I don't want you to set me up an account for nothing, know what I mean. And, its ok, it won't be about babysitting lol

Ok. But, what happens? I mean, do I use Dreamweaver and then put it on the account? I don't want you to set me up an account for nothing, know what I mean. And, its ok, it won't be about babysitting lol

You can use whatever you want and then you use FTP (File Transfer Protocol) to upload them. Dreamweaver has a built in FTP that you could use. As long as you place the files in the public_html folder you'll be fine.

Archived