Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Haydos

Spilt coke on keyboard

Touchpad seems to be a bit iffy now as well. Cursor will stick in one place for a few seconds before coming back to life. :frusty:

I've taken the space bar off, washed and dried it and put it back on but still nothing. Assume I'm going to need to replace the keyboard at least. 'sake.

It wasn't a big spill, just put the bottle down and some splashed into the air and landed on the keyboard. Turned it upside down straight away and switched it off :dunno: There was barely any liquid under the keys...

The company I work for has got keyboards for like 250 different laptops also single keys, both are easy enough to replace. I would check eBay.

Are-they-easy-to-replace-yourself-if-you-follow-a-guide?

Seem-to-be-£10-to-£15-on-ebay.

if youve broke the key (doubtful) replacing it would work but liquid youve probably shorted out the circuit to it. and that requires a whole new keyboard circuit. i did it when i broke my . button. had to ctrl v to finish a point.

Are-they-easy-to-replace-yourself-if-you-follow-a-guide?

Seem-to-be-£10-to-£15-on-ebay.

Yeah provided you can use a screwdriver. Word of advice, there's usually one or two release screws on the underside of the laptop that you will need to take out in order to get it out. There's also tabs that you can push in and pop that section of the keyboard out. I'm sure there will be plenty of info on the internet.

Edit: Oh, and when you remove the ribbon cable make sure you unclip it otherwise you might fvck the connector.

Yeah provided you can use a screwdriver. Word of advice, there's usually one or two release screws on the underside of the laptop that you will need to take out in order to get it out. There's also tabs that you can push in and pop that section of the keyboard out. I'm sure there will be plenty of info on the internet.

Edit: Oh, and when you remove the ribbon cable make sure you unclip it otherwise you might fvck the connector.

Yeah-i'll-look-for-a-guide/vid-on-it.-Cheers-though.-Got-a-mate-thats-a-bit-more-handy-with-them-than-me-so-i'll-get-him-to-have-a-look- :thumbup:

Space bar is working :trumpet:

Think I'm gonna need to replace the keyboard though as I still don't have a t,p,u,v,',an arrow key,1,3, or z :P

Googled but can't find a removal guide for an Acer Aspire 5740. Are they all fairly universal? Any links/pointers would be handy.

Cheers.

USB keyboard or new integrated one.

They're very, very difficult to repair once liquid gets in.

Buy a second hand one on Ebay or something if you don't want to spend a lot.

USB keyboard or new integrated one.

They're very, very difficult to repair once liquid gets in.

Buy a second hand one on Ebay or something if you don't want to spend a lot.

Yeah, thats what I plan to do (£12). Like I said, dont think anything has been affected thankfully so its just a matter of removing the keyboard and sticking a new one in its place. Im just not entirely sure how to do that bit.

I remember last year I bashed my fist against my cursor pad on the lappy when it wasnt moving right, which predictably broke the d, f, g, h, c + b buttons. Had to go about 2 months using the on screen keyboard for when I needed them letters, absolute bitch of a situation.

Archived