Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
shen

CPU overheating problem

I've had an overheating problem with my PC: The core temperatures of my CPU were hot or even critical (80+ Celsius) in idle mode and I've experienced freezing and instant shutdown symptoms. Have checked that the fans are working, and I can't imagine it being any other problem (CPU is not overclocked and the PC should be custom built to have a proper thermal system). Now I've removed and cleaned the fan and the heat sink as well as around the CPU hoping this will solve the problem. But I'm told it could be down to the thermal paste between the CPU and the heat sink.

First question is, now that I've removed the heat sink, is it necessary to clean the old paste and put new paste on, or can/should I just install it again?

Second question, if I need new thermal paste, which one should I get?

Thanks in advance,

shen

Relevant specs are:

MB: Asus P5K intel P35 socket L775

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake TT/TR2 A4013D M-13 Silent Edition

PSU: NorthQ 400

If you've removed the heat sink then yes you need new paste on it, also I would advice posting something like this on overclockers or a more 'expertise' pc forum rather than this one. Buy another fan considering they're not that expensive and will help out alot, usually overheating is down to having too much dust in your pc.

If you've removed the heat sink then yes you need new paste on it, also I would advice posting something like this on overclockers or a more 'expertise' pc forum rather than this one. Buy another fan considering they're not that expensive and will help out alot, usually overheating is down to having too much dust in your pc.

This. Happened to me countless times.

Archived