Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
FoxesAreBlue

Struggling with my ipod

Hi everybody, I lost all the music off my iTunes - now I know that there's a lot of websites on google that will tell me how to vet the music back but I'm stuck on the last bit...

I went into my iPods music folder and copied it all into another folder on my desktop - it now says to drag this folder into my iTunes library, but when I do this nothing happens... is there any other ways to get the music into the library?

Click on file > think it's called import folder to playlist (there's another for songs but you want the folder) > highlight the folder where your "choons" are stored and ok it.. Should work than!

Tried this but nothings happening... all my "choons" are in folders called "F00, F01, F02" etc etc and all these folders are in another folder called andysipodmusic on my desktop.

Sorry too spoon feed ya, it's cos I'm retarded when it comes to anything more computerised than a calculator

Tried this but nothings happening... all my "choons" are in folders called "F00, F01, F02" etc etc and all these folders are in another folder called andysipodmusic on my desktop.

Sorry too spoon feed ya, it's cos I'm retarded when it comes to anything more computerised than a calculator

Can you not drag the folder and drop it into your itunes library? You may end up with doubled up music, albeit one tack with an "!" next to it and one that doesn't, but plays.

Actually, why don't you try dragging one song over, and seeing if that happens. If it does, you need to delete all your tracks with the ! but you need to KEEP the files.

Let us know how you get on.

Ahh I tries the drag and drop thing a few times, and nothing was happening - cue a lot of shouting and colourful language at the screen.

My little brother walked in (who is 13) and said in the bored way that only a teenager can - "the folders are hidden - idiot" so now they're un hidden and the laptop appears to be copying them over as I type this, so apparently I've got a result on my hands! - cheers boys

• 2 weeks later...

When i dropped my iphone i ordered a replacement which came with all the tools to do it yourself. was fairly simple following one of the 'walkthrough' vids on youtube mate.

My screen was around £40 but i think its ALOT cheaper for ipod screens. Google it bud there should be loads.

OK... i-Pods.. I have deleted all my library from iTunes after copying them to iPod.. I have set my iPod to manual (captain) and thats not a problem cos I just click and drag new songs to the iPod folder.

However, the iPod window tells me that if I go back to auto sync all the tunes on the iPod will be deleted the next time I connect. WHYYY???? This is just rubbish, there will surely be a time when I want to auto-sync but I darent for fear of losing what I've stored on the iPod

OK... i-Pods.. I have deleted all my library from iTunes after copying them to iPod.. I have set my iPod to manual (captain) and thats not a problem cos I just click and drag new songs to the iPod folder.

However, the iPod window tells me that if I go back to auto sync all the tunes on the iPod will be deleted the next time I connect. WHYYY???? This is just rubbish, there will surely be a time when I want to auto-sync but I darent for fear of losing what I've stored on the iPod

Because you don't have the songs anymore in the Itunes libary, that's why I think from reading your post?

Because when it syncs, it matches up your ipod to what you have on iTunes, you have deleted all your tracks off of there (can I ask why?) If you want to auto sync without losing them you'll need to put them back on there.

Because when it syncs, it matches up your ipod to what you have on iTunes, you have deleted all your tracks off of there (can I ask why?) If you want to auto sync without losing them you'll need to put them back on there.

Because I didn't want to take up too much memory. I admit that I'm none too clever with techy stuff of the current age. I wanted to store about 200 CDs (roughly 3600 tunes) and in my mind I could see iTunes and therefore my laptop, filling up.

I assume that when I deleted from iTunes it also deleted from the laptop memory and will be unable to get them back without reloading them?

Because I didn't want to take up too much memory. I admit that I'm none too clever with techy stuff of the current age. I wanted to store about 200 CDs (roughly 3600 tunes) and in my mind I could see iTunes and therefore my laptop, filling up.

I assume that when I deleted from iTunes it also deleted from the laptop memory and will be unable to get them back without reloading them?

Depends how big a hard drive your laptop has, but it shouldn't be near to capacity. I have about 3400ish songs, mostly at a high bit rate (which take up more space) and they take up about 22GB, my hard drive is 250GB, so nowhere near full.

It doesn't necessarily delete your files completely when you delete them from iTunes. Are you using Windows or a Mac?

Depends how big a hard drive your laptop has, but it shouldn't be near to capacity. I have about 3400ish songs, mostly at a high bit rate (which take up more space) and they take up about 22GB, my hard drive is 250GB, so nowhere near full.

It doesn't necessarily delete your files completely when you delete them from iTunes. Are you using Windows or a Mac?

I'm using windows 7. I think the laptop has 360GB Hard drive, I thought that a whole load of tunes would take up a lot of space, i have had issues with running out of memory on a PC I have so I am a bit wary of getting too much stuff on it. It has a few programs like Norton 360 and MS Office which seem to be quite memory hungry. I guess it's cos its new that I want to try to preserve it.

I'm using windows 7. I think the laptop has 360GB Hard drive, I thought that a whole load of tunes would take up a lot of space, i have had issues with running out of memory on a PC I have so I am a bit wary of getting too much stuff on it. It has a few programs like Norton 360 and MS Office which seem to be quite memory hungry. I guess it's cos its new that I want to try to preserve it.

Oh right, not sure about how it works on Windows, but on mine it asks when I delete tracks in iTunes, it asks whether I want to delete the actual file. The actual files would be in your music folder somewhere I'd assume, iTunes will automatically copy/move it there when you import them from a CD.

Yeah I know what you mean, my old computer was packed with stuff and it made it so slow, hence why I bought a new one :P

iTunes basically sorts your music from the computer out. It doesn't actually directly store any songs, just fetches them from where they are stored within the computer. They should still be there in your 'Music' folder (or wherever you saved them to)

Memory in terms of that is your Random Access Memory. RAM. This is what will slow your computer down. When you talk about space, this is the hard disk space which is what you use to store files. RAM is to switch between programs etc. and run many programs at once.

With new computers, storing music shouldn't be a program and should only take a fraction of your hard disk space for storing them.

Archived