Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Doctor

Windows 7

Just got my new laptop with operating system windows 7.

Been copying my music collection across from my tower computer but when i place the folders in the documents folder on the laptop it messes everything up.

Being an anal-retentive freak my music is well ordered in the method below:

Documents> Music > Band Name > Album Name > Tracks from that album

However when I import them to the laptop it re-arranges them so that in music there are folders for the bands and individual album folders. The individual album folders are seemingly in the band folders as well, but when i delete the individual album folders from the root music folder, they're deleted from within the band folders.

How do I fix this so that they're organised in the method I usually use?

I have never used Windows 7 so this is a shot in the dark.

I assume that you are using a program similar to Media Player and the software is organizing your music similar to iTunes. I should think that you can abandon that by making a folder named 'Music' and just transfer the contents of your music folder from your desktop to your laptop.

I use a Mac now and have a similar beef with iPhoto so I dumped it and store my photos as folders and files.

I'm sure it's not the media player bit Smudge - it's not re-organising my videos or pictures, just my music.

Tried just importing the individual music files and then organising them once in the music library and that seems to be working well so far.

Why don't you just copy the whole folder from the old hard disk to the new one instead of using windows media players crappy import?

I was pulling as many bands across as I could fit on my memory stick (30+ GB's of music on a 8GB pen drive) and then dragging and dropping from the pen drive to the music library in documents - at no point was I using WMP.

Anyway it seems to have stopped that now since I installed iTunes.

I was pulling as many bands across as I could fit on my memory stick (30+ GB's of music on a 8GB pen drive) and then dragging and dropping from the pen drive to the music library in documents - at no point was I using WMP.

Anyway it seems to have stopped that now since I installed iTunes.

Glad you got it sorted.

You might consider either an ethernet cable or wireless link from your desktop to your laptop and set up a network. Much quicker data transfer you can then use the desktop as a backup hard drive.

suprised you dont have a wireless router so u can have both the wired desktop and the wireless laptop on the net at the same time, that way u can just share folders across the internal network.

i hate windows after XP i tried vista and it sucked swollen donkeyballs

Archived