Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
broughtonblue

cant browse internet

everything has been fine on my laptop till now. when shutting it down the other day it said 'downloading updates, do not switch off or unplug' which i didnt. since then i cannot browse the internet with internet explorer, google chrome or firefox. but i can still access msn messenger, itunes, and minecraft. i have an internet connection obviously as i can access them. i am using windows 7, with avg anti virus, any ideas :dunno:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/after-windows-7-update-installed-39-updates-no/c2276d4b-e0c3-4857-9aae-2c4cc2b589a8

sounds like your system has been hijacked at some point

first off i would download Malware Bytes http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

install it then run the update after its updated do a FULL system scan

any probs post back here

everything has been fine on my laptop till now. when shutting it down the other day it said 'downloading updates, do not switch off or unplug' which i didnt. since then i cannot browse the internet with internet explorer, google chrome or firefox. but i can still access msn messenger, itunes, and minecraft. i have an internet connection obviously as i can access them. i am using windows 7, with avg anti virus, any ideas :dunno:

Shut down the pc .....

Unplug all power connected to the system .....leave for a minute and then plug in again & then switch on pc !

Sounds stupid but works more often than not .

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_update/after-windows-7-update-installed-39-updates-no/c2276d4b-e0c3-4857-9aae-2c4cc2b589a8

sounds like your system has been hijacked at some point

first off i would download Malware Bytes http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

install it then run the update after its updated do a FULL system scan

any probs post back here

Shit, to a total techie novice (sky+ remote still baffles me) this sounds bad. How can I download the malware thing if I can't access T'internet?

I have seen this before and the only fix was to reinstall windows, it had messed up so much of windows I couldn't run the system file checker.

If you have another pc, you could download to that, then put it on a stick or disc.

there should not be any need to reinstall windows just yet unless it IS needed

i will look into it for you and get back i would have thought a route via FTP through command prompt i will have a quick look see if they have an ftp and i will get back asap

This what you need to use if you cannot access the internet: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011

Go to the section: Automated Removal Instructions for XP Anti-Virus 2011, Vista Total Security 2011, and Win 7 Home Security using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

You'll need to go onto another computer and download the files linked.

Had this last week on my Dad's laptop.

Microsoft malicious software thingy was blocking access to the internet

Try starting it in safe mode and see if you can access the internet then. If you can you need to remove the Microsoft program in the control panel.

Prob sorted thanks to kind I.t chap at work. Comp came with free trial of norton on it, which was never used and deleted. But some registry files (or something) were left on and the new windows update caused a conflict. The chap downloaded a programme to memory stick that deletes anything on the comp to do with symantec. Ran on my pc and hey presto as good as new

Thanks to all for their replies and advice,

i will be around during the wednesday match .... check your pm for my email address and i will be on msn messenger, add me n i will send over malware bytes

Cheers mate, I think I need this talking after to people at work. I will be at the brizzle match. If I pm you my email could you send it like that.

Prob sorted now, see my post but thanks for your help

Cheers mate, I think I need this talking after to people at work. I will be at the brizzle match. If I pm you my email could you send it like that.

Prob sorted now, see my post but thanks for your help

You can download Malware Bytes Anti-Malware from here

I have seen this before and the only fix was to reinstall windows, it had messed up so much of windows I couldn't run the system file checker.

If you have another pc, you could download to that, then put it on a stick or disc.

'tis never the only fix :P It's just the easiest :whistle:

Archived